Voom vs Dish: Who wins

sgtjim

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2003
Waldorf, Md.
I was about ready to switch to Voom but I am still considering the total cost.
To rent Voom costs $9.50. I would keep the Dish HD pak $9.99 as Voom doesn't have ESPN nor HD net & Movies and appears unlikely to get HDNET.
All Dish really has to do is add CinemaxHD/TMCHD and Starz/EncoreHD. As I already subscribe to those packs on DISH they should be free if added.
Then the only question marks would be NFL,TNT and BravoHD which Voom doesn't have either. The Dish SD channels far outweigh the Voom channels
especially TechTV and a few others. The addition of Sirius will be a plus.
In considering the total cost, Dish is Everything Pack $78 + HD pack $10=
$88 and NO tax. Voom would cost $80 + 9.50 rental +$5 tax =$95. (I still don't understand why Voom charges tax and Dish doesn't, Maybe Voom just charges in certain states)I had considered a 2nd receiver(cash$199) = $5 mirror fee which would be true with Dish as well. I am just not excited about the 21 Voom exclusives which seems to be their main selling point. Before the latest deals I was considering adding 1 plus pack to the Base Voom plan. As I already have DISCOVERY HD with Dish I would have chosen the STARZ/Encore pack and
just kept a Dish HBO/Show movie plan at $23 plus an access $5 fee and
dropped the rest of Dish. As DISC hd & NFLHD are now included in VOOM's base price, you no longer get to choose a plus pack with the Basic Voom deal. This combo deal would have been Voom Basic $40 + $10 rental + $5 tax
+ 1 +Pack $15=$70 PLUS Dish 2 movie pack 0f $23 (HBO/Show) and HD pak $10 +$5 access fee= $108. Now if Dish adds Starz/EncoreHD, TMCHD and CinemaxHD (they already carry the SC channels)to their existing Everything pack at $78 and add in the HDPAK at $10, for $88 you have the best of everything in HD & SD including Encore Westerns, Discovery Wings & Science, NASA, TechTv, Foxnews and a few others in my opinion Vs Voom Everything + Rental + tax = $95.
I will wait for the next Dish announcement as well
as a 921 Deal. Of course in the end I may just switch to Direct HD TIVO.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been a long timer with E*, and I have to say, I really got tired of the soft, fuzzy pictures on SD. I also am glad I didn't get the 811 or 921 considering all the numerous problems each model is having. They don't appear to be interested in adding any more HD for a while (probably will have to wait for the next satellite because of the superdish fiasco).
Right now, I still have the HD pack and superstations on Dish (and that may go soon), but use cable for everything else while evaluating VOOM.
It depends on if you can live without a few remaining (but coming) channels such as Fox News, ESPN (coming VERY soon?), etc.
If it was strictly one or the other, I'd go VOOM now, since they just now got the Turner pack of stuff and HBO, Cinemax, etc. and esp. with the new receivers.
I am just spoiled with so much HD now. I guess that is what they had in mind! (I will have to keep the locals only pack from Adelphia for local HD - mts. mess up my OTA).

Wally said:
I've been a long timer with E*, and I have to say, I really got tired of the soft, fuzzy pictures on SD. I also am glad I didn't get the 811 or 921 considering all the numerous problems each model is having. They don't appear to be interested in adding any more HD for a while (probably will have to wait for the next satellite because of the superdish fiasco).
Right now, I still have the HD pack and superstations on Dish (and that may go soon), but use cable for everything else while evaluating VOOM.
It depends on if you can live without a few remaining (but coming) channels such as Fox News, ESPN (coming VERY soon?), etc.
If it was strictly one or the other, I'd go VOOM now, since they just now got the Turner pack of stuff and HBO, Cinemax, etc. and esp. with the new receivers.
I am just spoiled with so much HD now. I guess that is what they had in mind! (I will have to keep the locals only pack from Adelphia for local HD - mts. mess up my OTA).

I have an unrelated question for you. Where does your VOOM Dish point in comparison with your DISH Network dish?

Thanks,
Bill

WLong said:
I have an unrelated question for you. Where does your VOOM Dish point in comparison with your DISH Network dish?

Thanks,
Bill

Here's a pic of my Voom dish in the foreground and my neighbor's Dish dish (kinda funny huh?) in the background.
I live 5 miles from the Pacific Ocean on the central coast of Calif.

Attachments

• IMGP2317.JPG
    IMGP2317.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 353
HD Junkie said:
Here's a pic of my Voom dish in the foreground and my neighbor's Dish dish (kinda funny huh?) in the background.
I live 5 miles from the Pacific Ocean on the central coast of Calif.

Very cool. I don't think I will have any problems with VOOM then. I do have one large cedar on that side of the house, but I am sure they can get around it. :)

Bill

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts