VOOM vs ZenithDVB318 1080i DVD player

Seanb61

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 4, 2004
Chicago
OK so who has the Zenith and what do you think of it compared to VOOM HDTV?

I am getting mine tomorrow....

PBHDinSD said:
Sean,

Where are you getting your 1080i DVDs?

It upconverts DVD's here.....

Product Description:

Don't be fooled by its slim, 1.7-inch chassis: Zenith's DVB318 DVD player delivers big-time entertainment. The firmware-upgradeable DVB318 handles most media formats and delivers them to both standard- and high-definition TVs. Play your MP3 and WMA CDs, homemade DVDs, JPEG image CDs, and of course your commercial DVDs--all will look and sound great.
Whether your living room is currently home to an HDTV or you're merely thinking of "someday," the DVB318 is set to deliver the full potential of your DVDs. A special video processing circuit upconverts all DVD signals to high-definition 1080i (more than a thousand lines of horizontal resolution) for use with compatible televisions. And, if you're using a DVI-compliant high-definition set, feed your TV the DVB318's DVI (digital visual interface) output for a direct digital connection between your source and your monitor.

The unit also performs progressive scanning at slightly lower resolution. Referred to as 480p for the number of horizontal lines that compose the video image, progressive scanning creates a picture using twice the scan lines of a conventional DVD picture, giving you higher resolution and sharper images while eliminating nearly all motion artifacts. Composite- and S-video outputs bring compatibility with nearly any television.

A single set of left/right analog-audio outputs channel audio to Dolby Pro Logic receivers and stereo televisions. Both Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1-channel surround-sound signals can be routed through the player's digital-audio outputs (1 each coaxial and optical) for direct connection to a full-featured audio/video receiver. The player's onboard 96 kHz/24-bit digital-to-analog audio converter ensures optimum decoding of all disc formats.

If you don't have a surround receiver or six-channel speaker setup, you can still make every movie night the ultimate experience: the player simulates surround sound through two speakers (even the stereo speakers on your TV). Other features include CD-ROM-upgradeable firmware (for compatibility with future formats and features), full-motion picture zoom (4x to 16x), random and repeat playback, closed-caption support, and accommodation for interactive story (and multi-story) DVD programs.

What's in the Box
DVD player, DVI cable, S-video cable, stereo analog audio/composite-video interconnect, remote control, battery (AAA x 2), operating guide, registration card, warranty card.

The biggest deal about this player is it up-converts(to 720P and 1080i) via component also,there is a big thread about it at AVSForums.I have it and it works great not HD great but close(I retired my HTPC because of this)the picture is about 25 % better then my Pany-RP 82 player(one of the best for 480P picture)and pretty close to the picture on HBO when it is zoomed in to fit 16x9(but real HD in OAR would beat it)

bruce said:
The biggest deal about this player is it up-converts(to 720P and 1080i) via component also,there is a big thread about it at AVSForums.I have it and it works great not HD great but close(I retired my HTPC because of this)the picture is about 25 % better then my Pany-RP 82 player(one of the best for 480P picture)and pretty close to the picture on HBO when it is zoomed in to fit 16x9(but real HD in OAR would beat it)

As long as the firmware upgrade for (wm9 HD DVDs) is real then it sounds good. Have you burned any DVD media? Did it read ok? If so what brand?

PBHDinSD said:
one guy posted a buy here on May11. You may want to check with him.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers...it=Search&Search=Search&country=&orderby=Name

I am interested. Let me know. How would you do a firmware upgrade?
Looks like the Firmware upgrade can be done thru a CD-ROM. see specs

http://www.wildwestelectronics.net/zedv10ouprsc.html

I wonder if can do wm9, have you checked T2 release in 1080p. If it does wm9 then it should down convert to 1080i. (at least that's the claim).

Eric_C said:
Ok, then how does it compare to the Lite On 2001?

I have both :)

Waiting on Fedex still so personally i couldn't give you my opinion.......But after extensive research I decided to take the plunge. Same chip set as the Denon $1000 machine

A local dealer has one in the store where I bought my TV. I talked to him about it and he said that unless I was able to hook it up through DVI that I wouldn't be able to tell enough of a difference to warrant buying it right now, and that the DVI will be of better use with VOOM. And since I only have one DVI that I'm using for VOOM then I won't be getting it.

I have and use an SDI modded RP91, but if I were to buy what is available now it would be the Momitsu V880.

Continued support, contrast/brightness control over DVI, 1080i/720p/480 over component and DVI plus custom resolutions, ability to turn copy protection off, easily replacible loader and from all accounts stellar picture.

I heard the complete opposite on the Zenith. I heard the up-conversion on Component is much better then the DVI. I don't know how that is possible but I have read that many places. Also once this batch is gone Zenith won't release anymore until about August and the the new batch of players will be unable to upconvert via Component. Mine arrives Tuesday and I will be able to give you a hands on comparison between the Component and DVI Upconversion. For $199 shipped you can't lose.

BMcKen1912 said:
A local dealer has one in the store where I bought my TV. I talked to him about it and he said that unless I was able to hook it up through DVI that I wouldn't be able to tell enough of a difference to warrant buying it right now, and that the DVI will be of better use with VOOM. And since I only have one DVI that I'm using for VOOM then I won't be getting it.

The local dealer is:

a. lying

or

b. an idiot

I don't have this player (yet, I've just read about it here and researched it for the last couple of hours), but it seems to have somehow slipped by the notice of the MPAA. It upconverts your standard DVDs to 1080i on the component outputs. Even copy protected discs are upconverted. All of the feedback indicates the upconversion is better on the component outputs than DVI (complaints of white crush on DVI). Almost all of the feedback ranges from "Wow" to "better than $1000 Denon when it upconverts". I would say the ration of positive to negative posts in the very lengthy thread on AVSForum is about 50 - 1 positive to negative. People are abandoning Panasonic RP-82s, RP-56s, XP50s, all of which rated as some of the best performance per dollar players of the past; as well as Denon 1600s, 1900s, 2200s. The only people who seem to indicate less satisfaction or possible problems are those with projectors. Plasma and LCD TVs are speculated to possibly have less of a dramatic improvement from CRT and RPTVs but there seems to be plenty of people with plasmas and LCD RPTVs who are happy with the unit. Overall, all but the most dubious seem to feel the unit provides an upgrade over existing units.

Ok, who thinks that Zenith copied the Lite On/Norcent unit?

it sounds EXACTLY like that unit but I'm sure they could have bought the rights or something close to it.

It seems odd that a larger company with a big American hold leaves macro vision off ability in the firmware.

My Lite On is easily 90 percent of what my Samsung unit is over DVI. The same reviews and comments were made on the Lite On unit when it came out, the picture quality was stunning in 1080i mode.

I was actually a bit disappointed with the Samsung unit when I got it. Most peoples reviews were from a 480p cheapo DVD player to a Samsung, I went from a scaling unit to the Samsung, for almost twice the price of the LO I was expecting more but I'm still very happy with both units, and it is better via DVI, just not a whole lot.

Norcent also produces this player now, forget the model number of Lite On dropped the 2001 and moved upto a 2002 which dropped all the good features. They went for good money on Ebay.

A good point to make is if this player looks desirable especially for the up-conversion on component, you might want to start looking today. These are becoming rare finds and the next batch Zenith releases will not have the Component Up-Conversion to 1080i or 720p it will only display 480p on component. Try Wildwestelectronics $199 shipped or also Ebay had a few for $199 if your looking.

No one knows if the upconversion will be disabled. It is a rumor, nothing more. They are NOT rare finds, they are easily ordered in many places. Refer to the FAQ in the DVD Players forum of AVS if you have more questions. it is a nice player. Not as good as my HTPC, but still nice.

-MP

Yeeeeee Haaaaaaa!!!!!

Just received mine via FedEx, placed my order on Tuesday! got mine from Gochnauer's Home Appliance Center 160 delivered! Sitting at work now waiting for the bell so I can go home and give this thing a try!

BMcKen1912 said:
There is a DVI splitter. Its about $250. I have the Samsung DVD-HD931 which is now $220 on Amazon. But, I just walk up to the set and change the DVI cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)