VOomin in Seattle with the new 30in DISH! FYI

iceshark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Started a new thread to help others instead of postin to the original.

Okay, My installer showed up right on time with the 30incher.
First concern was that it was used and was missing some hardware.
Luckily I had some extra hardware and it was not missing anything essential.

That would be the days only negative.

Put dish up as planned and I will give our Portland group comrade (forget his name) credit for statement that he had heard dish would not work in this area.
Without knowing what he was doing and without help from me, Most installers would have looked at the dish scale on side of dish that only goes down to 30degrees and would have packed it back in truck and drove away.

Not us though!, We knew the simple fix would be to put dish mast lower of leval to componsate for scale on dish.

Cheating with 18 incher nearby we were able to eyball new dish for a good starting point for signal finding.

The installer was so good that within a minute or so we were smokin a signal I never thought Id see here in the upper corner of this great state of Washinton, next to the Canada border.

Well first let me tell you if you dont remember my other posts about 18inch dish poor performance after tweaking and peakin. My strong signal on the 18
inch was about 78-81 on a clear day. With even a cloud on the horizon I would drop to 70-74 and lose picture.

Well DRUM ROLL PLEASE((((((((((
I am know experiancing a steady signal of 97 with occasional blip to 98!!!!

WE ARE VOOMIN IN SEATTTLE BABY!!!!

So if I was you and I was also on the west coast and experiancing weak signals. I would call VOOM and say HEY I need that 30inch dish. The real ugly one with no logo. CAUSE it rocks!

I will follow up when it rains to see how long it will hold up signal.
Also if you would like a picture of it, PM me and I will email you one.

Have a great weekend guys and gals.

Iceshark
Snohomish Cnty
Washington state. :) :D :p ;) :yes

Awesome Iceshark! That's exactly what my installer did when he found the dish wouldn't point low enough. "he packed it in"! And you guys did as I did, and also got a smokin signal! I'm happy for you! I'm glad your installer wasn't as lazy as mine was, he really deserves a pat on the back for that install! It's amazing that this *little* effort, (lowering the mast) that *could* be made by installers on the west coast is getting ignored by some, because of laziness. Congrats on the new 30", and the smokin signal! Let us know how it holds up in the rain! :D

GeneWildershair said:
Awesome Iceshark! That's exactly what my installer did when he found the dish wouldn't point low enough. "he packed it in"! And you guys did as I did, and also got a smokin signal! I'm happy for you! I'm glad your installer wasn't as lazy as mine was, he really deserves a pat on the back for that install! It's amazing that this *little* effort, (lowering the mast) that *could* be made by installers on the west coast is getting ignored by some, because of laziness. Congrats on the new 30", and the smokin signal! Let us know how it holds up in the rain! :D[/QUOTE

Did not have to wait long too test rain effect. It has been raining fairly strong over the last 2 hours here.

Good news so far. Signal ranges from 90-94 on worst to best transponders I have checked. No rain fade as of yet!!

Real test will be when some dark rain filled clouds fill the east horizon.
But for know I am still smokin.

On another note. I have read from mods posts that VOom reps cruise this forum. Hopefully they will GET IT! and start explaining how it works here on the west coast.

That or buy some transponders from a western satellite!

Gonna go watch some Monster TV. My wife just hates that ! ;)

iceshark said:
GeneWildershair said:
Awesome Iceshark! That's exactly what my installer did when he found the dish wouldn't point low enough. "he packed it in"! And you guys did as I did, and also got a smokin signal! I'm happy for you! I'm glad your installer wasn't as lazy as mine was, he really deserves a pat on the back for that install! It's amazing that this *little* effort, (lowering the mast) that *could* be made by installers on the west coast is getting ignored by some, because of laziness. Congrats on the new 30", and the smokin signal! Let us know how it holds up in the rain! :D[/QUOTE

Did not have to wait long too test rain effect. It has been raining fairly strong over the last 2 hours here.

Good news so far. Signal ranges from 90-94 on worst to best transponders I have checked. No rain fade as of yet!!

Real test will be when some dark rain filled clouds fill the east horizon.
But for know I am still smokin.

On another note. I have read from mods posts that VOom reps cruise this forum. Hopefully they will GET IT! and start explaining how it works here on the west coast.

That or buy some transponders from a western satellite!

Gonna go watch some Monster TV. My wife just hates that ! ;)

good to hear, that it's holding up! Heh... my wife loves Monsters HD! :)

Getting alittle nailbitting now.
Montsers HD usually my weakest channel is now holding at about 87-88 with peaks and valleys of 85-89. Fairly heavy rain and sky is getting black.

NERVOUS>
Heck this is getting alittle fun as well.
I shoulnt complain this is normal PNwest rain now and it is not blinking.
MR.GeneW, What was the history of your dish with heavy rain?

iceshark said:
Getting alittle nailbitting now.
Montsers HD usually my weakest channel is now holding at about 87-88 with peaks and valleys of 85-89. Fairly heavy rain and sky is getting black.

NERVOUS>
Heck this is getting alittle fun as well.
I shoulnt complain this is normal PNwest rain now and it is not blinking.
MR.GeneW, What was the history of your dish with heavy rain?

Don't know yet, haven't got any heavy rain since the install! ;)

I'm in Bremerton, and my installer was rather nervous about the install (just a week ago or so). I am luckily on the easter slope of the peninsula, so i have a fairly good view to the east. It did not take long to get the signal, with the dish at the peak of my roof. The Locals were quite a bit harder... I currently have a choice of getting all the seattle channels minus Fox, or getting just Fox... unfortunately, Q13 is broadcast out of tacoma for some reason, so it is really hard to get it aimed in. (I don't have a very clear view to the south). I tried an aditional inline amp on the OTA line, but it actually got worse... dunno... maybe i need to go with a better antenna.

CraziFuzzy said:
I'm in Bremerton, and my installer was rather nervous about the install (just a week ago or so). I am luckily on the easter slope of the peninsula, so i have a fairly good view to the east. It did not take long to get the signal, with the dish at the peak of my roof. The Locals were quite a bit harder... I currently have a choice of getting all the seattle channels minus Fox, or getting just Fox... unfortunately, Q13 is broadcast out of tacoma for some reason, so it is really hard to get it aimed in. (I don't have a very clear view to the south). I tried an aditional inline amp on the OTA line, but it actually got worse... dunno... maybe i need to go with a better antenna.[/QUOTE

Good evening fellow Washintonian VOomer.
Good to hear from you. Did Dave from DBS install your system?
He drives a brown van. He is GOOD.

Hope you dont get signal fade bad with standard dish. If you read my posts you will see my expericance and possibly have some steps for help if you need it to bigger dish like I had insalled today.
Got over worst of rain and never lost signal to point of fade of loss of picture.

As for the OFA, I had mine upgraded to channel master 4228/ It is big so hopefully if you want one it wont get your wife as pissed as mine at the 4foot flyswatter on the roof. It works excellent.
I am in Marysville so its about 56 miles to main tower and 72 miles to Tacoma.
I get channels 5-7-9-13-22-35 all perfect. I get 4 with major breakup.

My nieghbor has same antenna and put rotor on it and gets EVERY channel.

So if the locals are a big need, call Voom and tell them you are not happy with standard OFA and want the upgrade,

Hope that helps.

By the way. The only amp that may work at all is a Pre-amp at the antenna, most other amps are not effective at tv for pulling more gain. Also make sure not to use diplexer as dedicated line for both the sat and OFA may also help.
have a great day.

I am currently using the Diplexer, and I am getting MOST of the channels... only really ever see some glitching on 13. I am actually closer to all the antennas than you are... the furthest antenna from me is actually WB and UPN both 14 miles away from me. Just a lot of hills and trees in the way. I currently have the Stealth antenna pointed southeast, and it seems to be working alright. Perhaps I should try running a straight ru to the box, vice using the diplexer, but I will still lose some signal by having to install a splitter to run to the two different boxes. Decisions decisions... Of course... then I'd be able to run it to my stereo to hopefully get some better FM reception... hmmm...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)