Voom's PQ Is Lousy

Silas

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
It's blurry,fuzzy, and lacks detail. My analog cable looks better than Voom's sd channels without a doubt. The HD channels are soft with no depth and no wow factor what so ever. I had directv the first year it came out and the PQ back then was better than Voom's HD channels are now. The only Voom channel that comes close to looking like true HD ..is Rave. There is nothing wrong with my setup but there is something wrong with the feed coming in from Voom. Anyone who says Voom's PQ is great either doesn't know what they are talking about or they are lying or doesn't have a quality television that will let them see Voom's muddy PQ.

Silas said:
Anyone who says Voom's PQ is great either doesn't know what they are talking about or they are lying .

I know it's not constructive, but all I can say is " what a schmoe".
vomit-smiley-015.gif

Silas said:
It's blurry,fuzzy, and lacks detail. My analog cable looks better than Voom's sd channels without a doubt. The HD channels are soft with no depth and no wow factor what so ever. I had directv the first year it came out and the PQ back then was better than Voom's HD channels are now. The only Voom channel that comes close to looking like true HD ..is Rave. There is nothing wrong with my setup but there is something wrong with the feed coming in from Voom. Anyone who says Voom's PQ is great either doesn't know what they are talking about or they are lying or doesn't have a quality television that will let them see Voom's muddy PQ.

I suggest you cancel VOOM then and leave the forums, please?

Silas said:
It's blurry,fuzzy, and lacks detail. There is nothing wrong with my setup but there is something wrong with the feed coming in from Voom. Anyone who says Voom's PQ is great either doesn't know what they are talking about or they are lying or doesn't have a quality television that will let them see Voom's muddy PQ.

Silas must be Charlie E. posting under an alias. :eek:

Reality is that many Voom subs have very high end equipment AND that most consider the PQ to be better than any other service. Hate to break the news to you but maybe there is indeed something wrong with your setup, or you do not have a quality TV, or you are a liar who does not even subscribe to Voom.

I can tell you that Voom looks great on my very high quality, 65", professionally calibrated Hitachi XWX. Also looks great on the Samsung and even on the lowly WalMart LCD.

The Voom Pq is sub-par. Thats all there is to it. This guy is not the first dude to say it, and all he is doing is posting his opinion and you guys are jumping all over him. There are many people saying the same, even Sean started a thread stating his displeasure with the PQ. Flame me all you want, i already lowered my package from Vavavoom and as soon as my 6 months of contract are up and the PQ is not fixed, im out. FLAME AWAY!!!

Yes, he did state that HIS PQ is sub-par. However, he then went on to state that anyone who claims good PQ is a liar, an idiot, or has crappy equipment. And now you are crying because "guys are jumping all over him".

Pfff

1) The SD PQ is pretty bad now.
2) Rave does look the best
3) This person probably doesn't have things set-up quite right

I must admit, I find Voom's SD PQ not as good as Cablevision's analog extended basic. Cablevision's PQ has far better color saturation, clarity, and less overscan. Granted, I'm viewing Voom on an SDTV, so I can't compare HDTV offerings by both companies. I will say Voom's HDTV channels scaled down to 480i look great.

Is there anyway to fix the Motorola DSR-550's overscan problems?

I think the PQ thing has been done to death.

Some like it, some don't. It is what it is.

New encoders -> "different" compression -> more channels

That's the path Voom took, and so be it.

-John

I find this thread amusing - My PQ is looking FAB tonight. When it doesn't look as good as it has in the past I say to myself "Self, VOOM is just trying to survive at the moment". Voom at its best is superb - at it's worst it is being worked on in order to improve the service. I can live with this. If I couldn't, I'd drop the service. If you are unhappy with VOOM then you are choosing to be unhappy - pay for the service you enjoy the most then add something to the mix that we can all learn from.

Buying into the saga called VOOM...... Gross67

Silas said:
Just do what i did and cancel.These people are so VOOM happy it clouds thier vision and they claim their picture is fine.Vooms pq has gone downhill get out while you still can before it corupts you ;)

ECK27 said:
Just do what i did and cancel.These people are so VOOM happy it clouds thier vision and they claim their picture is fine.Vooms pq has gone downhill get out while you still can before it corupts you ;)

I earn a living in the visual arts - I don't think I am "seeing Things". Voom Happy? Yes, I am happy to have voom - why are you here? Please explain/describe my options and how they are better. This would be helpful. I am open to new ideas and technology. So far, VOOM has delivered the best HD option on the market - what am I missing?

Gross67

ECK27 said:

I never said pq was perfect, it has deteriorated a bit since the new encoders, but I WANT CHANNELS! and HIGH DEF, Good HiDEF on 38 channels is better than great HIDEF on 7 channels, like my cable has.

There are compromises in life. PQ on VOOM is one of them, and I am still amazed that it all runs like it does on 1 satellite!

If you do not like it, GO AWAY and take your mistuned tv with you. We do not need trolls here complaining. Lets just make sure Voom survives and prospers and GETS BETTER.

Griping, complaining and whining DOES NOT HELP!

VOOM does have pq problems. They didn't get their money out of the encoders yet. Not to the quality as before. I wonder if they are still tweaking? I can only hope. I don't think I would call anyone a liar. That goes to far. People can have an honest difference regarding PQ. I love my VOOM but I would put the PQ between SD and HDlite on most HD channels. No Wow...but that's my opinion.

From my inexperienced eye, I would have to agree with you gutter. It's still looking mighty good to me, but I don't always see the WOW FACTOR I was fortunate enough to get a slight glimpse of last summer. :D

What I have determined for sure is that I no longer see the pixelization (macro blocking, or whatever it's called) that I saw earlier. I've only had one significant instance this time around (and that was just for a few minutes).

I just hope, along with you and many others, that this is temporary, and we will all always be able to see the full GLORY of HD that can be had. I still have faith it will be that way...in the end...Vicki :)

I noticed a few problems last night but nothing to get my panties in a wad over. VOOM has the most HD and the PQ is still pretty awesome!

My PQ looks HORRIBLE when I turn my TV off! I get nothing but a blank screen.

I knew my post would bring in the clowns..so be it. Come on Voom give us the quality that you advertize...maybe drop that flipper channel and a few others to open up some bandwidth for the channels that are watched by more than a few.

Silas said:
I knew my post would bring in the clowns..so be it. Come on Voom give us the quality that you advertize...maybe drop that flipper channel and a few others to open up some bandwidth for the channels that are watched by more than a few.
Clowns? SO we have another new member in our midst that is going to insult any group that doesnt agree with him?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)