Vooms Sues Dish Network

JohnL

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
Spencerport, NY
According to news reports Voom is threating to sue Dish. The reason Dish apparently plans to move the 15 VOOM Channels into a separate package.

Maybe this is the reason Dish has been lax about adding HD Channels. Dish is trying to unload the VOOM Channels from the regular HD packs so they can add more Content that HD subscribers want, and not increase fees, and maintain their profit margins on the HD packs. Up till this year there has been a lack of National HD content available so VOOM upped Dish's HD channel Content. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the VOOM Channels. Much of their content is varied and not available anywhere else. I just want to see more HD channels, namely USA, SciFi, Speed, FX, and CNN.

John

Can I step in line to sue. I am still looking for those 65..70...75 hd channels I am suppose to have.:D

It has not been a good week for good ole Charlie.:rolleyes:

Charlie should sue VOOM for providing terrible content, these new 4 hour a day loops have killed the channels.

I would like to see these news reports as I have heard nothing.

I read about it this morning. Might have been Swanni, but not sure. Sorry I don't have a link either.

Scott. you are so right about that. Voom needs to fix that problem!!!

I know the NFL is suing Dish about being dropped from the Top 100 package, however I have heard nothing about VOOM suing Dish.

Quick someone call in Mythbusters. :D

I know the NFL is suing Dish about being dropped from the Top 100 package, however I have heard nothing about VOOM suing Dish.

Quick someone call in Mythbusters. :D

Scott,

Swanni of HD Predictions posted this information within the last two hours. We shall see if its true soon enough.

John

"EchoStar, the sister company of Dish Network, actually owns Voom's satellite and has an equity stake in Voom's 15-channel programming suite." --TVPredictions.com 3/27/08

Has it gotten so bad that Charlie is suing himself????

I'm not a fan of the loops, but some of the Voom channels do have 6 to 8 hour loops, instead of 4. I agree Voom is the biggest offender here and i've written them about it to complain, but look at Discovery, History, Science, Nat Geo, etc - they pretty much do a nightly loop...or at least replay their nightly primetime block twice in a row.

But at least you dont see the same program on the Discovery Channels repeated over and over week in and week out like you do on the VOOM channels.

Can I step in line to sue. I am still looking for those 65..70...75 hd channels I am suppose to have.:D

It has not been a good week for good ole Charlie.:rolleyes:

Ditto!! Move Voom to its own package and give me all the other HD except Voom!!

VOOM had a golden opportunity to market their wares back in 2005, but their marketing folks were asleep at the wheel. They should have sold individual channels (like Monsters, Equator) to cable and perhaps license their content (all 15 channels) to anyone who wanted them for pennies on the dollar...even if they didn't have the bandwidth at that time. VOOM Networks blew an opportunity to mass market their HD channels at a time when there was little competition. That's why the HDNets are having so many problems...they are asking a premium price for...well, something that's not all that different than the cable favorites now that HD has gone mainstream.

What's better 100,000 subscribers at $5 a whack or 5,000,000 subscribers at 50 cents a whack? Heck, I even suggest that VOOM start selling commercials between movies and shows (not during them) as part of their mass marketing strategy. Again, you blew it VOOM. I don't know what the future holds, but it's gonna to be hard to make a comeback at this stage of the game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)