VPN question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lefatman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Selbyville DE
I think I know the answer but will turn to those who are much more savy then me.I believe that if I install a VPN service in my router it will not effect my local channels on DTV as they are satellite based and no IP based. Please correct me if I am wrong as I want to do the VPN.

You can put a VPN on a device rather than a router..you can put it on a firetv,phone tablet ,laptop or pc as a app..a good one is ipvanish much simpler than putting it on a router

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

You can put a VPN on a device rather than a router..you can put it on a firetv,phone tablet ,laptop or pc as a app..a good one is ipvanish much simpler than putting it on a router

The reason I want to put it on my router is so that all my devices in my network will be able to use it with just one install. Thanks for your feedback.

Reactions: I WANT MORE
The reason I want to put it on my router is so that all my devices in my network will be able to use it with just one install. Thanks for your feedback.
The VPN will probably slow your network down on the router...i know it did for me

A VPN will not impact your local channels or other channels received by satellite. It could impact your ability to watch on demand depending on if your setup can connect with DirecTV's servers. Your locals are determined by the service address on the DirecTV account.

You will probably have to use a US based VPN server, as Directv's services for stuff like on demand might not accept connections from outside the US.

You need to choose an American VPN server that will unblock all US streaming channels. You can access Direct TV, Netflix, Hulu Plus, HBO Go, and many more. Once you’re done with setting up your streaming device with Smart DNS or VPN, you get to unblock Direct TV along with all other US online channels.

While you did not specifically describe the components that make up your network, your use of VPN with services like Netflix and Amazon Prime can be problematic. If you are using a Fire TV, Nvidia Shield TV or a similar streaming device, you may be better off using Policy Based Routing so that those devices can be excluded from your VPN service while still routing VPN to all other devices. As others have stated VPN will most likely cause a speed reduction. The amount of speed reduction will be impacted by the server selected and the speed of the processor on your router.

What works best regarding the use of VPN directly on the device or a router is dependent on a number of factors. Other than network congestion and server selection, a couple of the most overlooked items that impact overall VPN performance is the processing power of the device on which the VPN is installed, and the encryption algorithms in use. The processors on some consumer grade items cannot perform encryption calculations at a very high rate of speed which has a tendency to reduce overall performance.

Reactions: dwayne22
What works best regarding the use of VPN directly on the device or a router is dependent on a number of factors. Other than network congestion and server selection, a couple of the most overlooked items that impact overall VPN performance is the processing power of the device on which the VPN is installed, and the encryption algorithms in use. The processors on some consumer grade items cannot perform encryption calculations at a very high rate of speed which has a tendency to reduce overall performance.
Yes. There is a big difference in performance depending in the choice of routers. One if the newest, fastest routers with a powerful processer is the way to go and even then, you will be dropping speed by 20-40 percent (which is not significant if you have a decent incoming service speed.).

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using the SatelliteGuys app!

And to add to your message regarding routers with faster processors it is important to note that the best performance will be achieved with routers containing processors that support Hardware Accelerated Cryptography. The link below is a short article describing this type of acceleration. The list of routers mentioned in the article is far from complete. I would not make a purchasing decision based on the routers listed without verifying the list is correct. Broadcom is not the only supplier that supports Hardware Accelerated Cryptography. I believe the AC86U was introduced, and continues to be sold, as a AC2900 router.

Hardware Acceleration is Here for Routers Using OpenVPN

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts