W7 warning - Trend Micro AV

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Just to spread the joy, I'm posting about a problem. As in "Houston, we have a problem."

I've been quite happy with my W7 RC install on my new PC on my office network. So today I tried to install the Trend Micro AV client onto the machine. It appeared to install fine. Then I rebooted, and went to change the notifications (at the area formerly known as the task bar) to keep the icon displayed. Did not work.

So I tried to run the program directly, to start a scan. No response. So I started to look at the readme. Did not get that far. BSOD. Ungood.

Reboot. Start Windows normally. Appeared to be booting properly. Right up to another BSOD. Core dump to disk. Reboot. 4 cycles. Lather, rinse, repeat. Double ungood.

Looks like I'll have to reimage my machine. This time, I'll have to install Vista.

Well, now you know.

Anyone else have an AV or other program conflict?

Since I can't get to the desktop, I don't see how. BSOD hits just as desktop appears.

Thank you, I'll check it out. But I must have the AV, so I'll probably have to shift to Vista anyway, unless there's a W7 TM client out. Which I'm checking on.

Nice trick, that F8 during boot.

At first, it gave me the option of boot device. I selected RAID. Then I got a screenful of options. One at the top was Repair. This led to another set of options, of which I selected Startup Repair. Reading the detail report, it seems to think the OS booted successfully, so no joy. Maybe it did, and then the TM ran and it died.

So I was back at the screen titled "System Recovery Options." This time I selected System Restore, and chose a backup done early this a.m. Odd, the computer was not on at the time of the time/date stamp. It trundled for a while, and I then let it restart.

It noticed it had "recovered from an unexpected shutdown" and offered to check for a solution. I let it, and got the twirling circle. After a few seconds, the dialog box disappeared, with no report, positive or negative.

Anyway, there is some joy back in the world. My machine appears to be back to normal.

Thank you
for the suggestion, Scott. I may or may not be able to keep W7, but I'm sure going to give it a try.

No problem, System Recovery has saved my butt a few times here. :)

Try installing you AV software again, this time you should be good to go... but if not just do the system recovery again using the same restore point you used before. :)

I am surprised it let you install it if the program had that many issues. I tried installing Norton 360 on my Windows 7 laptop and it came up with a box saying "this program has known compatibility problems. It is not recommend you install it." Of course, I installed it anyway and it locked up my computer when ever I clicked on the notification bar icon. So for the time being I have avast! installed until a update is released for 360.

We have a server based AV product. Workstations are just clients.

I tried installing Norton 360 on my Windows 7 laptop...
Stick to the corporate version, Symantec AntiVirus.
Anything at or above v. 10.2 runs on Win7 RC+ just fine, x86 or x64.

Better yet, find Morro, the upcoming Microsoft Antivirus (free, in beta now).
Microsoft doesn't offer the download anymore but there are lots of places you can get it from.
Very lean but quite efficient.

Diogen.

I will be installing McAfee VirusScan Enterprise as soon as they get the 8.7 upgrade out.

I am surprised it let you install it if the program had that many issues. I tried installing Norton 360 on my Windows 7 laptop and it came up with a box saying "this program has known compatibility problems. It is not recommend you install it." Of course, I installed it anyway and it locked up my computer when ever I clicked on the notification bar icon. So for the time being I have avast! installed until a update is released for 360.
I'M currently using a N360 beta version for win 7 for the same reason you posted. works flawlessly and will be available until there is an official update for N360.

Wow, not to rain on anyones parade, but you could not pay me to run norton 360, Trend micro, or Mcafee... They use so many resources and try to take over your computer, it is horrible. I suggest NOD 32

Wow, not to rain on anyones parade, but you could not pay me to run norton 360, Trend micro, or Mcafee... They use so many resources and try to take over your computer, it is horrible. I suggest NOD 32
i hear ya but to be honest N360 premier v3 uses less resources than the previous versions. and i have some of the tasks to be run manually so that helps too. the only automated function i have on is the live update which uses less resources in this version. the beta version for win 7 is even zippier.

Weird, we pushed Trend out to the Windows 7 systems no problem from the server and they are working fine, no BSOD etc... In fact the only program i have had any problem with is Quickbooks 2009 and that was mainly because i am 64bit (to take advantage of my 8gb ram).

VERY odd, since the company says it does not have their client server version ready for W7. Or are you using standalones on each workstation?

That is weird I have Norton 360 and it works fine on Window 7. Window 7 is Vista with some graphic
tools taken out. If it ran on vista it should run on WM7 since at its core it is vista.

Sorry I see your using trend Micro program which always gave me problems on Vista that is why I went to Norton 360.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)