Wade states he will stay IF Miami is a title contender...

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
...not surprising here. I am sure EVERY single big name player, regardless of the sports exactly the same.

Wade's return hinges on Heat returning to title contention

MIAMI (AP) -- Dwyane Wade's future with the Miami Heat hinges entirely around the team returning to NBA title contention.

The reigning NBA scoring champion, who can opt out of his Heat deal after the coming season, said Monday that simply getting to the playoffs "is not enough" to satisfy him.

Wade's contract status is the biggest issue facing the Heat this summer. He could sign an extension as early as next week, but before committing Wade wants assurance that Miami is taking steps to get back to the level that brought a championship three seasons ago.

Dwyane Wade's return hinges on Heat returning to title contention - NBA - SI.com

so the question is has miami done enough already to keep him or what else do we need to get to that level?

so the question is has miami done enough already to keep him or what else do we need to get to that level?

I think he saw that everyone in the Eastern Conference had improved and the Heat have not....which is right. But, I think the ONLY team actually sticking to the "wait and see" approach for the 2010-2011 free agent extraveganza is the Heat. Hopefully, it will not be too late.

Fair enough statement IMO. I think that's why all of the high-profile free agent class of 2010 will not re-sign until absolutely necessary. This strategy puts pressure on the team, owner and front office to focus all their efforts in building a Championship Contending team to help ensure they keep their star. Makes perfect sense IMO.

Fair enough statement IMO. I think that's why all of the high-profile free agent class of 2010 will not re-sign until absolutely necessary. This strategy puts pressure on the team, owner and front office to focus all their efforts in building a Championship Contending team to help ensure they keep their star. Makes perfect sense IMO.

absolutely!

Riley better not f**k this up with a pissing contest!!!!

Note to Pat Riley:

Do not screw this up....IF YOU DO, you will never be able to set foot in the state of Florida again!! The Heat CAN win without you, but they cannot win WITHOUT WADE!!!

Signed,

ALL Miami Heat fans!

Wade: No rift with Riley

ESPN.com news services

It's a classic case of the chicken and the egg.

Miami Heat team president Pat Riley says the team needs a long-term commitment from Dwyane Wade before it can start adding pieces around him.

But Wade, who can opt out of his contract after this season and join the much-heralded 2010 free-agent class that could include LeBron James and Chris Bosh, says the Heat need to improve the team around him before he commits to a long-term deal.

Wade attempted to clear the air and clarify his position on Thursday at a charity golf tournament he is co-sponsoring with former teammate Alonzo Mourning. He stressed that he is not at odds with Riley and that the two men have the same goal -- continued improvement for the Heat, who rebounded from a dreadful 2007-08 season to make the playoffs.

But that doesn't mean Wade is backing down.

"Coach Riley opened up the wound when he said, 'Until Dwyane signs back, we can't do anything,' " Wade said Thursday, according to the Miami Herald. "But me and Pat Riley are not against each other. We both want the same thing. We're just in two different positions.''

Last month, Riley said the team's offseason priority was to re-sign Wade to a long-term deal, then address other needs for a team that was knocked out of the first round of the Eastern Conference playoffs by the Atlanta Hawks.

''There can't be any major franchise changes made without his commitment,'' Riley said at the time. "He knows this. I'm going to do the best sales job I can. Whatever we do going forward is going to be predicated on that."

On Monday, Wade responded to Riley, saying merely making the playoffs wasn't enough for him and calling for roster moves to improve on last season's 43-39 finish. While other Eastern Conference teams have made major free-agent moves, the Heat have yet to make a splash in the market.

"I'm going to listen. I owe the Miami Heat that much. I'm going to listen to what they have to say and I'm going to think about it," Wade told The Associated Press. "But right now, the way I feel, I want to make sure that we're on track to where I want us to be on track to before I sign back."

On Thursday, Wade said his response to Riley's stance should not be seen as evidence of a rift between them.

"I had to answer [questions], and I answered them -- to say I just want to make sure we build a winning team here," Wade said, according to the Herald. "We both want this organization to build to win a championship now. He has to deal with the money side of it. I have to deal with the playing side. That's the difference.''

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4318633"]Dwyane Wade of Miami Heat says there's no rift between him, Pat Riley, clarifies position - ESPN[/ame]

Note to Pat Riley:

Do not screw this up....IF YOU DO, you will never be able to set foot in the state of Florida again!! The Heat CAN win without you, but they cannot win WITHOUT WADE!!!

Signed,

ALL Miami Heat fans!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4318633

LMAO! Look who's writing love letters now! You made fun of me when I wrote a letter to LeBron, now look at you! LMAO!

Happy Friday Big Bopper! :D

LMAO! Look who's writing love letters now! You made fun of me when I wrote a letter to LeBron, now look at you! LMAO!

Happy Friday Big Bopper! :D

I don't know you about you....but that did NOT in ANYWAY look like a love letter....it was more of a 'get your sh** together' letter

Here's a surprise....

...from HIS mouth to GOD's ears...

Riley texts extension interest to Wade
Associated Press
Updated: July 12, 2009, 9:30 PM ET

MIAMI -- When Dwyane Wade checked his cell phone shortly after midnight Sunday, he got perhaps the most predictable text message of his life.

After all, it hardly classifies as stunning news that the Miami Heat want to keep him.

Wade said Heat president Pat Riley texted those sentiments very early Sunday, in what amounts to a largely ceremonial move. The Heat had to wait until 12:01 a.m. on July 12 before they could formally offer an extension to the reigning NBA scoring champion, and Wade said Riley didn't wait too long before pressing the send button.

"It's no rush," Wade said. "We all know that."

Wade didn't reveal specifics of what the text message said, other than confirming the obvious, that Riley was reaffirming Miami's hope that the 2006 NBA Finals MVP sticks around for many years to come.

"Something like that," Wade said, moments before he and Alonzo Mourning capped the five-day Zo's Summer Groove fundraising series.

Wade's agent, Henry Thomas, and Riley both confirmed that the Heat formally extended an offer. Both declined further comment.

Wade, who can become a free agent after this coming season, essentially has two options: accept an extension that would keep him under contract in Miami through the summer of 2014, or opt out of his deal next year and seek a contract through 2015-16, one that would likely be worth up to $45 million more.

"Like I said, I'm good here. I'm happy here," Wade said. "This is where I want to be and we'll go from there."

Wade set career bests last season in scoring average (30.2 per game), 3-point goals (88), steals (2.2 per game), blocks (1.3 per game) and games played (79).

Thomas said he and Wade will weigh "a number of options" before deciding which course of action makes the most sense.

"It's great and I feel very honored and blessed, first of all, to make it to the NBA but then to be in position where I'm on my third contract now and have a team want you and be a big part of the future," Wade said. "That's a testament in itself. It's phenomenal."

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4322779"]Miami Heat offer extension to Dwyane Wade, who's in no rush - ESPN[/ame]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)