Wait for Hopper or 722 Now?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Fearless

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
My Directv contract is up so I'm looking at moving over to Dish. I currently have 4 HD DVR receivers. One is in my exercise room collecting dust so in effect I'm utilizing 6 receiver channels.
When I called Dish the salesman suggested I get the 722 and 2 211K receivers now and then Dish it up to the Hopper when it comes out. That way I'll get the Sling Box for free that I can use with the Hopper.
What concerns me is I'm getting no guarantees that I'll be able to Dish it up later. If the Hopper wasn't being released, I would have likely ordered 3 922 receivers and a regular HD receiver.
I would likely want 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys when they are available.
So what should I do, wait for the Hopper or get the 722 and Sling Box now?

If I were you, I'd sit tight and get the Hopper. Best-guess availability is this quarter. At worst you would still need to buy a Sling Adapter outright for $99. That way, you will not get a runaround doing an upgrade so soon after signing up.

If you Dish it up later, it will prob cost you quite a bit of $$$ upgrade. We all know how both providers treat existing customers. D* is giving the HR 34 to new customers for 99 and existing subs for $399. Me personally, I'd take a wait and see approach for a month or so.

Yep, stay with Direct until hopper comes out. It's going out first to new customers only....that would be you!!

I'd take a wait and see approach for a month or so.

Agreed. I generally don't like to wait on unreleased stuff, but if your not in any real rush a reasonable wait and see period wouldn't hurt. The if, when and how much of an upgrade is a lot more uncertainty than giving it a month or two now.

I'd go ahead and set a drop dead date though, and not keep putting it off indefinitely.

The technology does sound intresting, not saying this in a Dish network "fee" kind of way, but I do wonder what monthly costs may be associated with the Hopper/Joey

The technology does sound intresting, not saying this in a Dish network "fee" kind of way, but I do wonder what monthly costs may be associated with the Hopper/Joey

I'm betting they don't yet either. To the OP, I agree with the others on waiting for now. Release date & pricing are going to be critical for the success of this & you can be sure Dish is monitoring public reaction very close.

I'm waiting. Thanks guys. :)
I see now I'll have another option, the Directv 5 tuner receiver. I'm sure they would upgrade me to keep me.

If it were me, I'd wait. Dish just said today that it will launch this quarter. Sounds like it's been getting great reviews.

I'm waiting. Thanks guys. :)
I see now I'll have another option, the Directv 5 tuner receiver. I'm sure they would upgrade me to keep me.

also dont forget you will need 2 hoppers as it really only has 3 tuners
the 6 is only during primetime and 4 of those are locals
id foret abou tit and just go with 722k's
you can do 2 sat and 2 ota with wach one

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)