Wally DVR fee

Maybe they will, it doesn’t change. And yes, it the response because it is true. If their value does not match your expectations, free market means you can leave. Period.

As for Mike... there also use to be just 3 channels. Look at how far and how many changes the TV industry has gone in. Quit living in the past. “Use to be”, “they did this once”... the fact of the matter is those bean counters know more about their job then you, so while you sit on the forum and give your expert business advice, this is what there is now. You already take advantage of lower prices then 90% of customers anyways, so why you’re in a tissy, not sure.
CHAD why you feel the need to defend every cockamame Fee that DISH come's up with is beyond me. You actually can't seem to see any further than the immediate quarter that we are in. This short sightedness is also what is doing DISH in for the long term. Creating a NO DVR fee is the most cynical thing I've seen DISH come up with yet, and I saw them create a $17.00 additional receiver fee in 2010 ,for the 622/722/722k series of dvrs. It's like they don't care anymore about the future and their reputation or retaining what's left of the sub base. They are just grabbing as much money as they can from what's left of their customer base, while they can. My guess is that Charlie will just sell off what ever is left of DISH when the sub numbers fall below a certain level and be done with it.

I saw them create a $17.00 additional receiver fee in 2010 ,for the 622/722/722k series of dvrs.

I thought the content providers charged them for "experiences", and wanted to charge double for those receivers and all the rest with dual output. Am I misremembering that? I am suspicious that's the real reason Joeys cost just like single experience receivers, and I am very suspicious that is why the Sling Expander never saw the light of day. No easy way to monetize it.

Last edited:
CHAD why you feel the need to defend every cockamame Fee that DISH come's up with is beyond me. You actually can't seem to see any further than the immediate quarter that we are in. This short sightedness is also what is doing DISH in for the long term. Creating a NO DVR fee is the most cynical thing I've seen DISH come up with yet, and I saw them create a $17.00 additional receiver fee in 2010 ,for the 622/722/722k series of dvrs. It's like they don't care anymore about the future and their reputation or retaining what's left of the sub base. They are just grabbing as much money as they can from what's left of their customer base, while they can. My guess is that Charlie will just sell off what ever is left of DISH when the sub numbers fall below a certain level and be done with it.
Why do you knock every few, thinking you know why it is charged? Mike, you have repeatedly admitted you take advantage of the system, and you preach like you know the inner workings. Surprise, you don’t. You are a simple Texas boy. Business evolves and the sole goal of any business is to make as much money as they can. You have no idea how this fee will impact, and saying that Dish lost subs is pointless. Everyone lost subs. Simple as that. You’re pissed off about fees you do not even pay. That’s the funny part.

Why do you knock every few, thinking you know why it is charged? Mike, you have repeatedly admitted you take advantage of the system, and you preach like you know the inner workings. Surprise, you don’t. You are a simple Texas boy. Business evolves and the sole goal of any business is to make as much money as they can. You have no idea how this fee will impact, and saying that Dish lost subs is pointless. Everyone lost subs. Simple as that. You’re pissed off about fees you do not even pay. That’s the funny part.
:popcorn

Reactions: charlesrshell
On a slightly different note, if Dish is such a money grabbing corporation why release Dish Anywhere on FireTV and AndroidTV allowing many of us to eliminate a Joey and the attendant fees?

Perhaps the lost revenue from Joey fees was the reason why Dish felt a need to add a fee for Wally users, to make up for that.
Could be, but why enable the ability to eliminate those Joys in the first place?

FYI mostly just playing devil's advocate here as I do agree that Dish would be better served by not creating all these fees and get back to providing the lower cost alternative to DirecTV and other pay providers. Dish Anywhere is one example of doing just that .

Could be, but why enable the ability to eliminate those Joys in the first place?
Because they already had a back-up plan for a new fee to replace that fee, so they knew that they would not be losing any revenue. These changes seem to be intended to reward those who go along with a standard system of one Hopper per household, and punish those who use a Wally as an alternative to a Hopper.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
YOU really can't see the BIG PICTURE Chad. You really don't see how this will effect DISH in the long term can you? This will further cause churn and loss to cord cutting and even prevent potential subs from ever subscribing to DISH, because of the cynical nature of the new Fee. What new sub or potential sub will want to go with DISH if they are going to get hit with a fee , just for having a non dvr receiver? No, I do NOT pay the fee, nor would I ever , but it effects me because I want DISH to be around because I like the company and would like to see it stick around. My local Spectrum cable company is offering their latest package with NO DVR Fee. Now you know you are on the wrong track as a satellite company when you go from "tapeless record for NO Fee" to a NON DVR FEE because subs don't want a dvr, especially when your cable competition is offereing NO DVR FEE at all and no commitment.

Perhaps the lost revenue from Joey fees was the reason why Dish felt a need to add a fee for Wally users, to make up for that.
Yes ,another case of give with one hand and take it back with the other. DISH is notorious for coming up with fees when they need extra revenue. Remember the tv 2 connection fee? How about the $5.00 fee if you didn't keep a phone line plugged in to each receiver? The additional receiver fee that went from $6.00 for sd /$7.00 for hd receiver to up to $17.00 for the 722k and $20.00 for the 922 receiver? These are all blatant grabs at making revenue for DISH, to pad their bottom line at the expense of the average sub, who doesn't look at their bills to closely. I always look at my bills and if need be call to get money off my bill to stay with them. I have done that now for the last 6 to 8 years. This last two years I committed to a two year commitment to keep my prices frozen for two years and will do it again if they offer it.

FYI mostly just playing devil's advocate here as I do agree that Dish would be better served by not creating all these fees and get back to providing the lower cost alternative to DirecTV and other pay providers. Dish Anywhere is one example of doing just that .
You must remember that the Fire stick only works one at a time. I have two of them and can only watch one video stream at a time. IF my son wants to watch it on his tv I have to stop watching on my computer room tv or my I pad at work while he uses it. I have advocated that DISH offer us up to two streams at a time so this would be a viable substitute. I also said that they should let us buy our joeys and then NO monthly fee like Tivo does with their system. I think more people would do that just to have reliable sat tv in each room .

Reactions: pattykay
YOU really can't see the BIG PICTURE Chad. You really don't see how this will effect DISH in the long term can you? This will further cause churn and loss to cord cutting and even prevent potential subs from ever subscribing to DISH, because of the cynical nature of the new Fee. What new sub or potential sub will want to go with DISH if they are going to get hit with a fee , just for having a non dvr receiver? No, I do NOT pay the fee, nor would I ever , but it effects me because I want DISH to be around because I like the company and would like to see it stick around. My local Spectrum cable company is offering their latest package with NO DVR Fee. Now you know you are on the wrong track as a satellite company when you go from "tapeless record for NO Fee" to a NON DVR FEE because subs don't want a dvr, especially when your cable competition is offereing NO DVR FEE at all and no commitment.

Maybe you better sit down first..... Sitting? Ok, I agree with you...... Ok catch your breath... Lmao....

A first receiver fee is finally what you have been calling "because they can." Needing no equipment and fees that come with it is a big draw to streaming. To counter that having no fee for the first receiver particularly a non DVR receiver is needed. Now charging that is counter productive IMO. I bet most that go with no DVR do so primarily to avoid the DVR fee, they are trying to stretch their money but don't really want to stream. Now when making that decision they see they are paying a fee for one non dvr receiver. Yes you can turn it into a DVR for a one time fee and that does save over an actual DVR. But I have never liked a first receiver fee and have long praised DISH for not having it and pointed out how some other services do have it. You can't use their product without their receiver. If you could, another words if you could have no receiver and just use an app I might be more inclined to say at least there is a choice. This hurts the person who likely in most cases can least afford it if they are only getting one Wally on the account. I think any first receiver fee is a mistake.

Maybe you better sit down first..... Sitting? Ok, I agree with you...... Ok catch your breath... Lmao....

A first receiver fee is finally what you have been calling "because they can." Needing no equipment and fees that come with it is a big draw to streaming. To counter that having no fee for the first receiver particularly a non DVR receiver is needed. Now charging that is counter productive IMO. I bet most that go with no DVR do so primarily to avoid the DVR fee, they are trying to stretch their money but don't really want to stream. Now when making that decision they see they are paying a fee for one non dvr receiver. Yes you can turn it into a DVR for a one time fee and that does save over an actual DVR. But I have never liked a first receiver fee and have long praised DISH for not having it and pointed out how some other services do have it. You can't use their product without their receiver. If you could, another words if you could have no receiver and just use an app I might be more inclined to say at least there is a choice. This hurts the person who likely in most cases can least afford it if they are only getting one Wally on the account. I think any first receiver fee is a mistake.
Well, there is a choice (it is called Sling TV) but that is beside the point. I agree with you. If Dish's intention is to push more people toward Sling, then what is the next step, eliminating Welcome Pack? (No, I had better not float that idea out there.)