Wally receiver

laughingart74

Original poster
Sep 5, 2022
Hagersville
Hi I have a question

I have a external hard drive. That has movies on it recorded from a 211k receiver. If I get a Wally. Will it be compatible with the movies from what the 211k recorded ?

I think the 211 uses the old text based OS while the Wally uses the graphical interface OS similar to Hoppers. Combined with the fact that the OS is on the hard drive makes them incompatible - just a WAG.

Reactions: Bobby
I think the 211 uses the old text based OS while the Wally uses the graphical interface OS similar to Hoppers. Combined with the fact that the OS is on the hard drive makes them incompatible - just a WAG.
The bad part is that when the Wally first came out, there were official hard drive compatibility charts that showed that the Wally was supposed to be compatible with existing hard drives from the 211 series. Dish was trying to get 211 users to upgrade to Wally, just like they tried to get ViP DVR users to upgrade to Hoppers. So, one of two things happened:
  • Dish either couldn't figure out how to get the existing 211 hard drives to work with Wally, or it would have been too expensive to implement the solution.
  • Whoever made the hard drive compatibility chart was misinformed, or made a mistake.
I'll leave it to you to figure out which scenario is the most likely.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Has anyone connected a Wally-formatted EHD to a Linux machine to examine the file structure? Does it bare any resemblance to the ViP211 EHD?

I know our ViP211 receivers at our vacation home won’t last forever, and I have a few “historical” recordings (IBM Watson’s appearance on “Jeopardy“ for one) that would be great to preserve if possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts