want a DVR! Help me get one on the cheap!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bp787

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
I haven't been visiting the site for awhile, so I'm not too clear on everything that's been going on with the lease stuff or current offers and whatnot, but....

I want a DVR. I'd prefer it to be HD, but i'm not that picky really.

I currently have a 4 room system. I just want one DVR. I was going to buy an external DVR, but If Ican get one combined w/ the DTV receiver, all the better.

I've seen people in the past get good deals when they call customer retention, etc... Actually, I've been thinking about switching to cable anyway, (DTV doesn't have the HD locals in my area and I have bad rain fade), so I thought this might be a good option.

so is it possible (or likely) that I'll get a DVR for free? I wouldn't expect the HD DVR to be free, but maybe for a good price at least.

What are your thoughts/suggestions?

You should have been following these forums about a month ago using the code DVR4ME you could get a free refurbished TiVo without commitment from Directv.

You can either pay Directv $499 (or less depending on what you can work out with retention) up front to lease one of theirs or lease one from cable company, doubt you'll be getting an HD DVR free from anyone.

Please post DVR questions in the DVR forum going forth also, thanks...

If you're going to use it with DirecTV, don't get a stand-alone Tivo. The DirecTV DVR is much better, mainly for the dual tuners. DirecTV usually offers a free DVR to existing customers. If they don't have that available on their website, I'd suggest you call and ask. If you're a customer in good standing, that shouldn't be a problem. As for a HD-DVR, you could keep an eye out for any specials. Perhaps when the MPEG-4 HD-DVR comes out they might lower the price on the current HD-DVR. Last August they were giving the HD-DVRs away for free for some reason. But I haven't seen that deal since. I was just happy I got it then.

-JustBob

boba said:
You should have been following these forums about a month ago using the code DVR4ME you could get a free refurbished TiVo without commitment from Directv.

No commitment??
I was told that their no way to activate a DVR without a commitment,even if you got one off Ebay.

Is this not true?

It was a limited time offer to select customers. What a drag eh? These kind of promotions combined with the Hearts program and the internet puts providers at risk of creating "class envy" and resentment.

If you were offered the deal and took advantage of it then good for you. If you missed it or weren't offered the deal, well, that's part of their business model.

Personally I'm not enamored of Tivo's historically inconsistent stance on privacy, therefore we have 2 no phone line and no monthly fee DVR/DVD burners. We're perfently happy with the arrangement, besides, DirecTV doesn't offer an integrated DVR/DVD burner so to each his own.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts