Want PA locals instead of NY

I didn't know that Blue Ridge dropped fox 5. I was at my mother's place earlier this past week and didn't notice NY's fox was not on her cable there either (She has Blue Ridge).
Yep,Last Spring.

Fox WNYW/WTXF
WOLF exercised its exclusive right to the Wilkes Barre Scranton Market thus forcing us to remove WNYW and in some areas WTXF. Blue Ridge tried everything to not let this happen but WOLF would not agree to rescind their rights. Effective May 28th, some FOX channels will no longer be available in the Wilkes Barre/Scranton market because WOLF-56 has requested we remove them from our channel lineup. We did everything possible to keep these channels on, but the Networks required us to remove them. At this time, we are currently looking into our options as to what we will be doing with the channels that are being removed from the lineups.
We regret that WOLF has required us to remove these channels. Comments can be directed to WOLF at 570-970-5600.

I also live in Pike Co. (Greentown), I am actually close enough to get Scranton locals via OTA antenna. I keep NY and get Scranton for free and with guide info to boot. I didn't know that Blue Ridge dropped fox 5. I was at my mother's place earlier this past week and didn't notice NY's fox was not on her cable there either (She has Blue Ridge).

I was going to try and grab the Scranton locals with OTA, but all indications I got, were that I wouldn't be able to. ( to far out) You must be a good 20 miles closer than I am. I think I have a better shot at the NY's with OTA, which I might try down the road.

Quick look

I was going to try and grab the Scranton locals with OTA, but all indications I got, were that I wouldn't be able to. ( to far out) You must be a good 20 miles closer than I am. I think I have a better shot at the NY's with OTA, which I might try down the road.

How far as the Crow fly's are each of them? Just a look at Google maps for me it looks about the same distance. Know anyone else picking up OTA in your area & that might help as to which to go for.

I think both would be a stretch. Matamoras is situated right in a valley. Mountains all around us. I will try and find someone in the area using an antenna, and see what they are getting.

Just checked out the dtv map, and it looks like I could one channel with a weak signal. I guess I'll just stick with my new Scranton locals and be happy :)

Thread bump - want to confirm

New (registered) user here who came upon this thread. I'm a recent dish customer trying to get access to Pittsburgh Penguins hockey games. I subscribed to top 250 (to get Versus and NHL network) as well as the sports package (thinking that would get me Fox Sports Pittsburgh = Penguins hockey). Well, I get FSP but the actual games aren't available in my area (upstate NY). I am not happy with the E*/Fox dispute (fortunately, doesn't include Fox Sports Pittsburgh) and E*/MSG dispute (which means I can't seen the pens games whenever they play NJ Devils, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Buffalo Sabres!). In the meantime, I have been watching some/most of the Pittsburgh games using the free NHL Center Ice preview.

After seeing this discussion on doing a move, I am hoping I have a solution. I have family in Pittsburgh, so it would be easy for me to establish a 'valid' service address there. I am already doing paperless billing, so that isn't an issue (and even paper billing to that address wouldn't be an issue). I'm not worried about losing my locals as I rarely watch them and in fact would rather see Pittsburgh locals (go Steelers).

Is there anything else I am missing here?
Thanks,

thats all ya gotta do

FSN Pittsburgh is allowed in Buffalo, NY but you are blocked from the Pens games due to the Sabres having that market.

Center Ice will give you the Penguins as well.

Thanks for the answers so far. Yes, I have been watching the pre-game and post-game show on Fox Sports Pittsburgh and watching the Penguins game (when available) on NHL Center Ice (free preview). But, I'm in a MSG area, so any Pittsburgh game against the devils, rangers, inslanders, or sabres is blocked out from CI, and blocked out for me in total due to the MSG/Dish dispute? (And not available on FSP (428) as on E* I am out of region?

Even if I buy CI and keep top250 and keep the sports package (for the pre-game/post-game) I will still miss 6+6+6+4 games (6 for each in division rival, 4 for sabres)?

In a similar manner, if I pony up for NHL game center live and go via streaming (in my house this is easily, just concerned about how good the source feed is vs HD), the NHL game center stuff is still limited in terms of the regional blackouts/exclusives.

Man, they are making it hard to be a fan in general!

A variation on my question: If I just say "screw it" and send my dish equipment to my fathers house in Pittsburgh where I continued to pay the E* subscription, is this a legitimate setup in E*'s T's&C's? (I would just give up and go with local cable.)

One more question: so far, the pre-game and post-game shows on Fox Sports Pittsburgh have been in SD only. Does anyone know if people in Pittsburgh w/E* get FSP in HD?

THANKS!

Ever since Empire Sports went belly up (RIP) :( you get FSN Pittsburgh as the RSN. You get the Pirates games since no MLB team is there but hockey you get the Sabres. It works the same here in MN and Wisconsin. Both get FSN North (436 on E* 668 on D*) but depending on where you live you get the Brewers, the Twins or both. The whole market gets the Wild. And you get either the Bucks or the Wolves but not both

One more question: so far, the pre-game and post-game shows on Fox Sports Pittsburgh have been in SD only. Does anyone know if people in Pittsburgh w/E* get FSP in HD?
on Dish only the games are in HD

Are you in Buffalo proper or surrounding?

I went on the D* site and looked (Dish doesnt have it this laid out) and here is what teams you get in Buffalo proper (they do get YES too but since Dish doesnt carry it at all I eliminated it)

Madison Square Garden (Ch. 634) - HD Available
# Buffalo Sabres (HD Available)
# New York Knicks (HD Available)

MSG Plus HD (Ch. 635) - HD Available

SportsNet New York HD (Ch. 639) - HD Available
# Mets (HD Available)

interesting how you dont get FSN Pittsburgh there on D*

Last edited:
Funny to see this thread pop up as I have just moved back to NY. I couldn't take the terrible news cast of WNEP anymore. How in the hell they keep Joe Snedeker on the air in the morning is beyond me. I also really enjoyed seeing all of the great reporting Ryan Lackey does in the morning.:eek: Very intense reporting by Ryan.
My inlaws visited over the summer, and when we watched the news one morning, their reaction was:eek::eek::eek: Joe had some guy on dressed like a leperchaun. That was pretty much the end for me.

Funny to see this thread pop up as I have just moved back to NY. I couldn't take the terrible news cast of WNEP anymore. How in the hell they keep Joe Snedeker on the air in the morning is beyond me. I also really enjoyed seeing all of the great reporting Ryan Lackey does in the morning.:eek: Very intense reporting by Ryan.
My inlaws visited over the summer, and when we watched the news one morning, their reaction was:eek::eek::eek: Joe had some guy on dressed like a leperchaun. That was pretty much the end for me.
I agree, If my wife didn't bitch about not having Scranton locals, I would "Move" to NY in a second.
Way more channels in that DMA, also the HD is better.

Are you in Buffalo proper or surrounding?

I went on the D* site and looked (Dish doesnt have it this laid out) and here is what teams you get in Buffalo proper (they do get YES too but since Dish doesnt carry it at all I eliminated it)

# Buffalo Sabres (HD Available)

# Mets (HD Available)

interesting how you dont get FSN Pittsburgh there on D*
Here in Scranton DMA, we don't get Pittsburgh Either, Unless we subscribe to the Muliti Sports pack, Then we can watch all the Pittsburgh games without a seasonal sports pack. It was the Same with Dish Network.

No Blackouts for us on FSN Pittsburgh with Sports pack. NY DMA is most likly blacked out. Pa DMAs though , my guess is they won't be.

With any DIRECTV base package (CHOICE or above, or MÁS ULTRA or above):

YES Network HD (Ch. 631) - HD Available
New Jersey Nets (HD Available)Yankees (HD Available)
New Jersey Devils (HD Available) New York Islanders (HD Available) New York Knicks (HD Available)
New York Rangers (HD Available)
New York Knicks (HD Available) New York Rangers (HD Available)
Mets (HD Available)

s.gif
With the PREMIER or LO MAXIMO package or any DIRECTV base package plus SPORTS Pack, you also get:
FS Pittsburgh HD (Ch. 659) - HD Available
Pirates (HD Available) Pittsburgh Penguins (HD Available)

Last edited:
I agree, If my wife didn't bitch about not having Scranton locals, I would "Move" to NY in a second.
Way more channels in that DMA, also the HD is better.

I forgot to mention about the HD being much better. When I switched back it really made quite a difference in the quality.
If Dish pulls Fox, it is my understanding that not all areas will lose them. (Not sure if I am correct). I thought that I saw a list somewhere on the forums of the local stations that would be pulled, and I beleive that NY was one of them. Do you know if the Scranton station was on that list?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)