Want to get Directv but have some questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Skittles019

Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
I am moving into a new house and looking into getting Directv with the DVR. Should I order my equiptment through directv of go through value electronics? Which equipment will be better? And how long from when I place the order until it is installed and I am watching it? Also if I order a second receiver is there a charge if I don't activate it right away?

Skittles019 said:
I am moving into a new house and looking into getting Directv with the DVR. Should I order my equiptment through directv of go through value electronics? Which equipment will be better? And how long from when I place the order until it is installed and I am watching it? Also if I order a second receiver is there a charge if I don't activate it right away?
Equipment will probably be the same either source. Directv gives you 30 days in their contract to activate equipment or be charged $150. What is wrong with a local dealer if you want it installed? The offer should be the same or very similar and you can talk face to face with the local dealer. :)

Hey Skittles pm or email me and I will tell you a place to get a DVR at a really really good price. I would post the the web site but ai dont think it would be appropriate seeing that value electronics supports this site.

"And how long from when I place the order until it is installed and I am watching it?"

Here in Duluth I placed my order about 3 PM Friday. I was watching DirecTV on my TV by noon Saturday...

Do I have to buy the acual dish separately? I have noticed some of the dishes have 1 to 3 beam things( I don't know the correct term) what are the differences. What do I need for a dvr system. Is there a different setup for a DVR and a standard receiver system.

So does the installer bring the dish or do I have to purchase it when I buy the receiver? I checked out best buy and all they had out were receivers?( I have a gift card)

Depends on where you purchased your system from. We consult with our customers to match the best brand and models of receivers(s), and or DVR's and antenna dish system, ship all of the equipment directly to our customers and the technician just brings his/her ladder and tools.

-Robert

If our experience is any indicator, for a new D* customer, from order to receipt, at least with VE, takes about two weeks, from right coast to left coast. Waiting for an installer might add a couple of days.

IMO, better to take one's time and do it right. TV can wait ;)

Pat

Thanks camachinist and hdtvtechno for your very kind remarks. Typically we have most systems installed with a week or sooner. Most west coast orders are shipped from one of our west coast warehouses. Occasionally, a installation may be delayed for special circumstances.

It's true that we are not the fastest, but speed is not the only indicator of excellent service, the equipment selection and quality installation provide the highest level of final results that lasts for may years and counts the most.

-Robert

I just ordered a dual room Tivo system for my parent's from VE (Robert) on Tuesday and the receivers were already in their house on Friday. They shipped via FedEx Express Saver, the same thing Newegg uses :). I figure the installer will be out sometime this week.

BTW, these units shipped from Arkansas to Colorado.

Since you guys have a very high respect for Value Electronics, I think I will support the little guy and buy from him. I will use my Best Buy gift card on something else. Thanks for the help!

kbohip said:
I just ordered a dual room Tivo system for my parent's from VE (Robert) on Tuesday and the receivers were already in their house on Friday. They shipped via FedEx Express Saver, the same thing Newegg uses :). I figure the installer will be out sometime this week.

BTW, these units shipped from Arkansas to Colorado.

My estimate was based on my tracking of our shipments, one (DTiVo) of which emminated from Arkansas on March 9 (express saver) and one (majority of equipment) from Elmsford, NY on March 3 (Fedex ground); the latter is the only item still in transit, hence my two week estimate. If anything seems odd to Robert, he can follow up. My experience with FEG is they are slower than UPS ground, so 10 business days is pretty normal.

I've got install kits and an extra triple dish so I'm doing most of the installation in advance for the house. After the equipment arrives, I'll hook it up, and mount the dish Robert is sending on the shop, since that install is much easier. Wife should have a smile on her face by end of week, hopefully :)

Pat

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts