Warner, Fox, Disney to Launch Streaming Sports Joint Venture

It is cheap for now....
And you made my point, you come in here to put down streaming, this time based on the price, yet with no evidence.

Then you do a total reversal on what you posted, without admitting you were incorrect, then start posting other reasons why you hate streaming.

Yet, if I did that in the Dish/DirecTV, I would be reported to the mods ( and have been even if I do not bring up streaming) in seconds.

From today’s Warner/Discovery’s Quarterly Report-

Today, Warner Bros. Discovery confirmed that this new service will be bundled with Max. Disney has already confirmed that you will be able to subscribe to this new streaming service through services like Hulu and ESPN+.

I won't put down streaming, in fact I have a Firestick. I will give a positive to cable because I can hand the cable remote to my wife and she can find the UCONN women's basketball game by hitting the cable number for any one of the five channels they appear on. Well worth the money.

I won't put down streaming, in fact I have a Firestick. I will give a positive to cable because I can hand the cable remote to my wife and she can find the UCONN women's basketball game by hitting the cable number for any one of the five channels they appear on. Well worth the money.
This is one reason why "cable TV" isn't going away completely any time soon. Even if you want cable TV via streaming, you can do that with DirecTV, who offers their own custom streaming box and full-scale remote with channel numbers, so it looks and works in a way that's very familiar to people who have used cable or satellite for years.

For the past few years, many observers have been saying that live sports was the foundational appeal of the cable bundle. That's true to an extent but it's also true that more and more sports are becoming available on one streaming service or another. I think the real core of the cable TV subscriber base are folks (many of them older, although not all) who want to stick with what they already know and like, even if they could save money by switching to a handful of streaming apps. It's just not worth it to them to cut the cable cord, and there's nothing wrong with that.

The fiscal conservative in me rather think about the thousands of dollars saved, since we went streaming only in 2016, first with Vue, then YTTV, now with just the streaming services, yet not missing any content and actually gaining content.

Then that money saved went into our investment account, made us even more.

As far as wives go, took mine a little less then 2 weeks to learn and get used to the Roku Remote, helps when that was the only option.

Reactions: Mike0616
Disney (Hulu) is not designing the app for the new service, Fox is-

FOX will be responsible for developing the platform for the sports streaming joint venture between it, Walt Disney’s ESPN, and Warner Bros. Discovery, according to a tweet from Wall Street Journal media reporter Joe Flint.

Flint noted that the platform will be based on News Corp.’s Kayo Sports platform, which is a live sports subscription streaming service that is jointly owned by News Corp. and Australian telecom company Telstra.

• Sad
Reactions: cpalmer2k
At 10%, you've saved enough since 2016 to pay for the tvs you've purchased... maybe.
The money I saved in the last 6 years has more than paid for the tv I bought since I cut the cord. I'm currently saving $100/month compared to what I paid in 2018. Although I have only saved about $70/month in some years (we always evaluate what we watch every year). Thanks to Black Friday deals, we're paying a little over $94/month including internet. We could easily afford cable/satellite (we still have Philo), but that money is better used for things like new laptops, bikes or gym memberships.

Head of Paramount commented on the new service-

“To the consumer point, for the true sports fan, this product only has a subset of sports
Umm, the new service will have-

NFL, Sundays on Fox ( plus games on other days, like Thanksgiving) MNF on ESPN, Europe game on ESPN+, playoffs on Fox/ESPN/maybe ABC.

Super Bowl in 2025 (FOX), 2027(ABC/ESPN), 2029 (FOX), 2031 (ABC/ESPN)

NHL Center Ice (ESPN+), NHL games on Warner/Disney owned Channels, playoffs and championship on the same.

NBA , games on Warner/Disney owned Channels, playoffs/Championship on the same.

MLB, games on Warner/Disney/FOX owned Channels, playoffs on Warner/FOX owned, World Series on FOX

The vast majority of College Football (Fox/Disney owned), weekly, other bowl games, playoffs, championship (ESPN mostly).

College Basketball ( largely ESPN and + for before March Madness, FOX Sports, some of March Madness on Warner owned).

College Hockey/Baseball is on ESPN+.

It’s missing half the NFL,
True for the regular season, some of the Playoffs and the Super Bowl every other year.

a lot of college
answered above.

, has virtually no soccer
Fox has Soccer, most do not care.

or golf, etc.
on NBC , most do not care.

It’s hard to believe that’s ideal, especially at the price points that have been
If the new service is $40 as planned, then Peacock/Paramount+ for roughy $20 together , that is $60 a month for everything, lot less then cable/satellite, even YTTV.

But for me, I only need this service from September till January, Super Bowl I can get via my antenna.

What soccer does Fox have? For the most part gave soccer up. They had so much of it.

What soccer does Fox have? For the most part gave soccer up. They had so much of it.
FOX Sports is also the official US home for the biggest international soccer tournaments the world has to offer, including the FIFA World Cup, FIFA Women’s World Cup, CONMEBOL Copa America, CONCACAF Gold Cup and UEFA Nations League.

Then this-

Fox's coverage could end after the 2026 FIFA World Cup as ESPN is interested in the 2030 FIFA World Cup

Fox replaces ESPN as the new home of the UEFA national tournaments. This six-year agreement will including the next two editions of European Championship as well as the UEFA Nations League, UEFA qualifying competitions, and all friendly matches controlled by UEFA.

Fox exclusively airing most of CONCACAF Clubs and Nations Championship until 2022-2025, including Gold Cup,[6] Champions League, and both Men's and Women's Olympic Qualifying tournament.

Reactions: Yespage
Okay, so the cups that happen so often, and the continental cups in the Western Hemisphere of which only one really matters. They used to have everything that mattered from Serie A, Premier League, FA Cup, Champions League, Europa League, I think Scottish Premiership too.

When the time comes for whatever changes to program sports, we will adapt to whatever needs to be done. People look for ways to make more money. Obviously, Streaming is the future.

As long as my wife is able to record her evening program series and watch within 5 days or so, I'm good. lol Life is being able to adjust to conditions. A big part with technology is being user friendly or not.

Bruce, werent you ths one saying they are going to consolidate streaming? They are losing money but its not a problem and so forth. I have seen it time and again. Prices go up, its the way of the world. How much is greed vs how much is costs could always be argued I suppose. You seem to have a dog in this fight? Are you part owner of one of these streaming services? You go after everyone and bot in a friendly way.

Im not putting it down as a concept, im all for competition, but the people in charge dont want it. They consolidate, they will increase prices. Its cheap now because they want you on. Once they have everybody and do consolidate, and push everyone else out, they will raise prices, guarenteed. They will because they can. How many times have we seen this same play? You think their spending all this money to take a loss? No, they are going to get as much as they can. Thats the corporare way.

Try and start a streaming company. All the tech is figured out and is cheap. You will be spending hundreds of thousands on FCC lawyers because these tv networks refuse to negiotate in good faith by usually refusing to negiotate at all. Its a small club, they hate competion and they are greedy. TV should be ad supported likr it originally was, and what these FAST companies are attempting. If you had streaming services based on location, i think that would make people happier, but that wont be allowed to happen. I actually one fast tv network say their bandwidth is limited. They probably have a 10gig connection and cant spare 10mbps. Laughable. Im not really sure what your point is... You really love streaming, make a buck off it (you said you work in the industry... About some full disclosure), and hate anyone who might have something bad to say about it... Even people who like and use it. Weird bro.

And the whole whining thing, not a good look.

Reactions: AZ.
Bruce, werent you ths one saying they are going to consolidate streaming?
Never have said any such thing, the only thing I have written is some will make it, some will not.

They are losing money but its not a problem and so forth.
All of these type of media companies lose money at first, again, Netflix and DirecTV took 6 years before their first profitable quarter, Dish and Amazon, 9 years.

Now look at it, DirecTV profits have shrunk $1.6 Billion from 2022-2023, they are 2-3 years from being unprofitable, which is why AT&T are putting their 70% up for sale this summer.

Or the fact that Dish Network is on the verge of bankruptcy.

I have seen it time and again. Prices go up, its the way of the world.
Yes, prices go up every year for streaming, yet for some, when they use that as a attack point against streaming, they ignore the increases of Traditional Paid Live TV, for example , Comcast, Charter and DirecTV all had two price increases in 2023.

Or the fact that prices are going up for Traditional Paid Live TV, yet there is less content then ever, how many of those cable channels produce new programming, how many show nothing but reruns.

How much is greed vs how much is costs could always be argued I suppose.
That is not something to be discussed here.
You seem to have a dog in this fight? Are you part owner of one of these streaming services?
No, I might work for a company, but I retire again in May, I have another job offer from a different company that offers streaming, but I am not interested, would involve me moving to California.
You go after everyone and bot in a friendly way.
Actually I have been attacked many times here, yes, streaming is our future, anyone can see that, in what form will that be, I have ideas.

But I have been posting for over a year, that 2024-2025 will be major transition years, at the end of 2025, beginning of 2026, we should know where things are going.

But even I am amazed at all the good news about streaming lately, as I have written before, if anyone wishes to debate me, go ahead, but keep in mind, with all the great things about streaming happening, show me any good news about Paid Live TV in the last couple of years.

How much is greed vs how much is costs could always be argued I suppose.
It is always both. That said, I do think greed is a large part of how we got to where we are, where greed equals the expectation from shareholders that revenue will improve quarter over quarter at a certain rate of growth forever. That is what drove media companies to launch new cable channels that no one wanted and force cable/satellite companies to carry them if they wanted the flagship channels. That drove price increases for customers to unsustainable levels. So maybe not the sinful, evil greed of Tertullian and Evagrius Ponticus, but the current Wall Street kind.

I didn't go to business school, but I hope the first lesson there learned is "nothing lasts forever." With the possible exception of the funeral business, all businesses will decline at some point, so you'd better have contingency plans to deal with it. I think streaming caught a lot of these companies by surprise when it shouldn't have. I something very similar when I was in the news business. The print folks thought newspapers would always be the cash cow they were for the past centuries. Those of us on the online side of things saw it coming and new the company needed to plan for the change, but the long-time print news people running things just couldn't conceive that they needed to invest in the future until it was too late.

I something very similar when I was in the news business. The print folks thought newspapers would always be the cash cow they were for the past centuries.
Look at everything about to end in the next so many years ( Newspapers, Printed Books, Magazines, Physical Media).

Now all those items are still with us, but at a small percentage of what they sold just 20 years ago, why, the internet of course, it is now TV’s turn.

I still buy 4K Disc, but if services like Vudu get the quality up (bit rates are in the 20 range, discs are in the 50-60 range), I will be quite happy to just hit ok on my remote to watch something.

Those of us on the online side of things saw it coming and new the company needed to plan for the change, but the long-time print news people running things just couldn't conceive that they needed to invest in the future until it was too late.
I wrote a report about the future of Television when I was with Comcast, this was in 2003, even then, I could see where things where going, I will admit my report had a much longer transition timeframe, I could not even guess back then at how fast things are happening today, my report was read, basically said I was incorrect, filed away, they then did not offer to renew my employment contract, but I was leaving anyways, in my opinion, thought they were pure evil.

Translation-we want better per sub contracts, but that does not mean we will lower our prices.

Charter, Comcast, Dish offer different mini bundles already, but when you add up everything, it is still more then YTTV or close to it.

One example, Comcast offers a locals/broadcast channels only package (I believe it is called Choice TV), price is about $30, then they add on the broadcast channels fee , now over $60, then then add on all the other taxes and fees (BOX/DVR, FCC, franchise, etc), more then or close to the same as YTTV.

Charter/Spectrum has the pick 15 Channels, then add on Broadcast, DVR, etc, it was more then YTTV at the time ( I checked it out when we moved to Florida in 2020).

Dish has the Welcome Pack, $54.99, then the $12 Broadcast fee ( and without the locals, that package is worthless), then Box/DVR fees on top of that.