Status
Please reply by conversation.

Kevinw

Just a regular guy
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Jacksonville, FL
My contract with Dish expires in a month. I called Direct to see about services. After getting over the 400 dollar out of pocket expense for 2 HD DVRs and 2 HD tuners. I said that seems like a lot of money. The CSR asks me about my TVs and then starts in with if you want HD Direct is the only way to go because they are the only HD provider that exclusively broadcasts in 1080 only.
My first thought was huh - Direct converts all programming to 1080i. I told her that can't be true because I get either 720p or 1080i form DISH depending upon how my receivers are set.

She kept reiterating "1080". I asked 1080 what. She replies
"1080p" . I said that is not true no one broadcasts in 1080p.

It then turned back to 1080i and 1080i is the best blah blah..

Finally She asked If I had any intention in purchasing Direct, to which I said " I did, till you started making up stuff"
She promptly hung up....

So am I wrong and Direct does only distribute in 1080i?

No, the CSR is way wrong. You just got a bad apple out of the bunch, as most people dont know so they tell them what ever to get them to sign up. Did you get a referral number for an extra 50 bucks off. That can help with cost recoperation. If your serious about geting D* and need a referal. PM me and Ill get you one.

They send what ever signal the channel broadcasts in. ESPN,ESPN2,ABC, and FOX are in 720p.

All of the Disney HD channels are 720p including those that are supposed to be coming "soon".

National Geographic HD is 720p too.

Like many CSRs, when they stray from the script, they seem to have a special affinity for being wrong.

FWIW,
You are correct, no one broadcast in 1080p.
This particular CSR hasn't a clue, that said, there are good ones as well. :)

Jimbo

If you want to know about the HD stuff you need to be sent to the HD Tech Support department.
You can ask for them to send you there if you like.

Jimbo
I'd rather give Satellite guys $20 a year and come here. At least people know whats going on, sometimes before Directv CSR's do.

I'd rather give Satellite guys $20 a year and come here. At least people know whats going on, sometimes before Directv CSR's do.

Oh , I agree, don't get me wrong, it's just that many only talk to the 1st level and wonder why they can't get the right answers.
I have spoken with several of them in HD support that have been veery knowledgable and helpful.

Jimbo

Oh , I agree, don't get me wrong, it's just that many only talk to the 1st level and wonder why they can't get the right answers.
I have spoken with several of them in HD support that have been veery knowledgable and helpful.

Jimbo
I shouldn't have to call them for quite some time about HD ,since I'm currently not having any issues with D* what so ever.

My contract with Dish expires in a month. I called Direct to see about services. After getting over the 400 dollar out of pocket expense for 2 HD DVRs and 2 HD tuners. I said that seems like a lot of money. The CSR asks me about my TVs and then starts in with if you want HD Direct is the only way to go because they are the only HD provider that exclusively broadcasts in 1080 only.
My first thought was huh - Direct converts all programming to 1080i. I told her that can't be true because I get either 720p or 1080i form DISH depending upon how my receivers are set.

She kept reiterating "1080". I asked 1080 what. She replies
"1080p" . I said that is not true no one broadcasts in 1080p.

It then turned back to 1080i and 1080i is the best blah blah..

Finally She asked If I had any intention in purchasing Direct, to which I said " I did, till you started making up stuff"
She promptly hung up....

So am I wrong and Direct does only distribute in 1080i?

In all fairness, that was most likely a sales person and not a CSR... She was paid on commission and not an hourly wage.. hence the misinfo to get the sale and the hang-up

In all fairness, that was most likely a sales person and not a CSR... She was paid on commission and not an hourly wage.. hence the misinfo to get the sale and the hang-up

I doubt it ....

Most people when they say they called D*, call the most common number. 1-800-directv or the -5000 number because they stick in your head, or are found in the phone book, unless it's a number for a particular promo.

I'm sure the OP would tell you who he called, if you ask him/her.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)