Watching tv in another room with no reciever?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cwenbass

Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
New Jersey
Hello,
I tried finding the answer to my question on the internet but not sure if i found it due to all the technical jargon. I want to watch a tv in my basement that has no receiver. It is a regular (non-hd) tv. I have an HD in my living room and non-hd in my bedroom that have direct tv receivers. I am not sure if what I need to do is called "Mirroring." Whatever it is that I need to do, please help me out.
Thanks

Mirroring refers to a second receiver having the same programming as the primary one. This has nothing to do with what you want to do.

What you need to do is to use the composite outputs from either of your receivers and run the cables to the basement TV. That TV needs to have composite inputs. Another option is to use the composite outputs and connect them to an RF modulator, then a coax cable to the basement TV's antenna input.

So I can't just add a splitter to one of the input or outputs on the main box that is already in my basement and run that to the tv in the basement?

So I can't just add a splitter to one of the input or outputs on the main box that is already in my basement and run that to the tv in the basement?
You can't tap or tie into any of those wires running from the Dish to the receivers.

You can only run a wire from a receiver to the TV, No other way will work.

If your SD receiver has a COAX Out you can run it from there to your tv.

If the "main box" in the basement is your HD receiver just follow ldspencer's advice of adding a modulator about $20. Your post is confusing, 1st post says one receiver is in living room and one is in bedroom, 2nd post has a box in basement. We can't see your house so your description of equipment is important.

Sorry, not sure off the names of things. The box in the basement I guess i would call a hub where all the cable goes out and connects to the recieivers (boxes where I change the channel).

Mirroring refers to a second receiver having the same programming as the primary one. This has nothing to do with what you want to do.

A Mirror image is what we call it when a customer wants to run a 2nd tv off of one receiver.

As others have said if you want to mirror your HD receiver to the other tv you will need a TV with composite inputs and run cables from the receiver to that TV or use a modulator to run a coax to that TV. If you want to run the mirror off of you SD box then you can just use a common splitter on the coax output from the receiver to run cables to both TV's.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)