Way to drop HD service, yet get OTA locals in HD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ratdaddy

Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
Hi all, I am looking for advice about some changes I'd like to make. Right now I have the DirecTV "Choice Xtra Plus HD/DVR" package. I have an HR21-200 HD/DVR in the living room hooked up to a 46" Panny plasma, and an R15-300 (DVR, but non-HD) in the bedroom hooked up to a 26" LCD. I have a 3rd HDTV upstairs that is currently not utilized (DLP that was just replaced by the plasma in the living room).

My wife and I both work a lot and find that we don't have time to watch much TV anymore. There are certain shows that we never miss, but they are all on network television, not cable. I am tired of paying $85/mo for a bunch of stuff we don't watch.

I first wanted to drop DTV alltogether, but I don't want to lose HD DVR capability, and don't want to pay for a Tivo box and service in each room either. Ideally, I would have HD/DVR on all 3 TVs, but I could live with it on just 2, and then just move my R15 to the TV upstairs.

I think I have decided (if it will work) to drop the HD service, lower my package to the minimum, and then get my locals OTA in HD. However, to be able to DVR them, it is my understanding from researching that I will probably need to:

1) Add AM21 OTA tuner to my HR21, which will take care of the living room

2) Find 2 used/refurbished HR20's for bedroom and upstairs TVs. (I don't know the best place to find these at a good price and ensure that they can be activated on my account, so help here is appreciated.)

I had also heard through a friend that you can drop all programming and get only the NFL Sunday Ticket, yet still keep your receiver(s). Is this correct? If so, I might go that route as far as programming is concerned.

My last question is, do the OTA channels integrate into the guide and DVR functions as if they were satellite channels? I know they did on Dish because I used OTA for my locals when I had dish, but I haven't tried it on DTV yet.

Any other advice/suggestions is also greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dropping the HD Tier will trigger many events. Unlikely to work with an HR21 (they will ask for it back, as a leased HD receiver)

You *may* be able to accomplish what you're looking to do with an HD Tivo, actually. This will act as your SD DirecTV tuner, and integrate OTA HD.

If they remove HD from you account your HD DVR will stop working. For some reason last year mine dropped from my account and it would allow me to do anything with the DVR.

If they remove HD from you account your HD DVR will stop working. For some reason last year mine dropped from my account and it would allow me to do anything with the DVR.

I've seen success stories of the HD Tier getting dropped from an HR10-250, since MPEG2 HD is now dead on D*

From the D* EPG guide data, just like an HR20 does- which is supplied by Tribune. The guide data contains OTA listings, which the receiver displays depending on the 2 zip codes you put in when you set it up.

Last edited:
You cannot remove all programming and have only the ST.
D* has not allowed that in MANY years now.
You are required to have a base package to have ST, I think Choice is the lowest, but it could be one step down from that, don't remember.

You cannot remove all programming and have only the ST.
D* has not allowed that in MANY years now.
You are required to have a base package to have ST, I think Choice is the lowest, but it could be one step down from that, don't remember.

Has Directv taken away the grandfather privileges from those that had ST with no other programming? I haven't heard of anyone having just ST in a while.

Has Directv taken away the grandfather privileges from those that had ST with no other programming? I haven't heard of anyone having just ST in a while.

As far as I know, you cannot have ST without a base package of some level.
As for those that may have been grandfathered in to be able to do that, I'm not sure, but I would guess that they have informed those that they have a set amount of years before they will no longer be eligible for that, just a guess though, but it's been a very long time since I came across anyone that was allowed to still be able to have ST without a base.

As far as I know, you cannot have ST without a base package of some level.
As for those that may have been grandfathered in to be able to do that, I'm not sure, but I would guess that they have informed those that they have a set amount of years before they will no longer be eligible for that, just a guess though, but it's been a very long time since I came across anyone that was allowed to still be able to have ST without a base.

I remember reading a post where someone said they had ST with no other package, but it was quite a while ago. I'm sure you are right that there was a time limit on allowing it.

as long as you have an hd dvr or rec. you cannot get away from the hd access, they still charge you the 10 extra for having a dvr or rec. plus if you change your package you will not be able to go back to the package you have now, because dtv discontinued that one, the lowest package they offer is the family package,its not listed online now, you have to call to change it, hope this helps you.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts