Ways to get discounts on your bill.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cappy29

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 12, 2005
Aliquippa,p.a
Pretty much what the title says, I am looking for a way to reduce my bill since my dad passed away last week and we are now looking at ways to reduce some of our bills since his income is no longer coming in. Now we are not getting Directv's best package or anything like that, or it would be as simple as cutting the package down. So, I don't know if it would be worth while and threaten to leave and talk to the retention department or not. Otherwise, I may have to consider switching back to Dish to get a years discount, which in some ways I kind of hate to do because I don't mind Directv, but paying over $100 for TV right now is not going to go down well budget wise. So I figured I would post this and get some suggestions.

First off, my condolences on your Dad's passing. Depending upon your payment history and several other factors, a simple call to retention may get you a healthy reduction in your bill. Let them know you want to stay, but can't afford your current level.

First off, my condolences on your Dad's passing. Depending upon your payment history and several other factors, a simple call to retention may get you a healthy reduction in your bill. Let them know you want to stay, but can't afford your current level.

Thank you for your sympathy, as for my payment history I have been on auto pay since day 1 and my payments have never been late. As for retention, can I call them directly? Or do I have to threaten to leave to get them on the phone?

just call the main number and on the auto system say CANCEL then CANCEL. That gets you to retention and just be honest why you're calling

My stepdad did that a couple months ago and they basically cut his bill in half for a year (he is out of contract too)

just call the main number and on the auto system say CANCEL then CANCEL. That gets you to retention and just be honest why you're calling

My stepdad did that a couple months ago and they basically cut his bill in half for a year (he is out of contract too)
Hmm, well I am still under contract, but I will call and see what they can do.

It's all on the bill payment history and years of service, and also how many discounts and credits one received in the past, but it's not the case with everybody, especially with a good credit and bill payment history, Also asking nicely also works sometimes.

My condolences to your father as well.

"Refer a friend" is also a way to get discounts & it's easy to participate in.

Direct's program is very generous, $10 off for 10 months. You're allowed up to 10 a year, that's a $1000 worth of bill credits.

I find luck just talking to the regular CSRs and asking if there any discounts available. I'm getting $35 a month off in Discounts just for asking.

Sorry to hear of your father's passing. You can also look at lower packages with less channels, entertainment is down to $55, and there is a select package too for under $50 available from retention.

Since he's still under contract, I wonder if retention is even allowed to offer the select package.

So do you guys know if the pay off amount is the same for the 2 year genie contract? I ask because that is what my contract is currently under, I opted to get the genie back in early summer and had to go 2 more years. I am getting ready to call them today and find out what the deal is and if they are willing to budge or not.

Well I got about $31 off of my bill by dropping Showtime, protection plan, and $10 dvr discount for 6 months. They also then gave me Showtime and Starz free for 3 months. So, it is still not as cheap as switching to Dish saving wise for a year, but I would rather not go through the hassle of switching and most of all paying around $400 to get out of the contract.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts