WB Network programming on Canadian over-the-air broadcasters (1998)

WIWB 14 (now WCWF 14) of Green Bay, Wisconsin, licensed to Suring, Wisconsin, was late to the party. They started out as Pax TV owned and operated station WPXG-TV 14 before switching to The WB (with Pax TV programs still airing overnight) on June 2nd, 1999.

Before June 2nd, WACY-TV 32, the local UPN affiliate licensed to Appleton, Wisconsin, was a secondary affiliate of The WB network, airing Kids' WB, daytime and primetime programming from that network alongside UPN, local and syndicated programming.

WACY-TV 32 even aired an all-day childrens' block in the mid-late 1990s known as "Wacky 32," consisting of programming from UPN Kids, Kids' WB, BKN and syndication, which also included E/I compliant programs. They also aired the Pokemon anime in first-run syndication in 1998 before the broadcasting rights were picked up by Kids' WB in 1999. When WIWB, channel 14 became The WB on June 2nd, WACY-TV 32's Wacky 32 childrens' block lost a significant amount of programming to the new network.

Well pardon me for reviving this thread, but although a majority of Canadians produce their own programming & content. CBC, CTV and Global would sometimes have programming "cherry-picked" from the six major American networks (including The WB).

Well pardon me for reviving this thread, but although a majority of Canadians produce their own programming & content. CBC, CTV and Global would sometimes have programming "cherry-picked" from the six major American networks (including The WB).
It would probably surprise you to learn that some of those programs were produced in Canada.

Reactions: JosephHolloway1998
For those who are wondering, the Pokemon anime began in first-run syndication, airing on various Fox, The WB and UPN stations (plus one independent station, channel 5 in Wichita, Kansas) in the United States in late 1998. The following year, the rights to air the Pokemon anime have been picked up by The WB, in anticipation of the full-length theatrical film coming out on November 19, 1999. While this was all going on stateside, in Canada, the Pokemon anime aired on cable network YTV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts