Wb? Upn?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

andreah1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
Does Dtv carry wb or upn? I remember calling once about a year ago but I think they said no. Dish does carry it and there are alot of good shows on the channels...think it's something dtv will pick up eventually if they don't carry it?

if you have locals and are in an area where there is no WB (or its cable only), DirecTv does give you a WB from I think Baltimore or San Diego (depending which time zone you are in)

I don't get "locals" but they do feed me the ny channels for nbc, abc, cbs, and fox...so could I call and ask for WB then? I think there's a local wb but we can't pick it up.

I wouldn't bother...

WB and UPN are gone comes late august.

I am sure DirecTV is working on contracts with those networks for the new CW that would be formed.

Really? What will happen to Smallville!? Ugh. What is CW? Sounds like a combo of both?

andreah1 said:
Really? What will happen to Smallville!? Ugh. What is CW? Sounds like a combo of both?

The CW is indeed a combination of UPN and WB shows. Smallville survived the merger and will continue to air at 8PM (eastern) on Thursday nights. If you are curious about other shows, check out the CW website:

http://www.cwtv.com/

This is actually good news as the CW will have more outlets and the better shows from both networks.

I hope D* will be adding the CW to their HD LIL packages in the fall.

Thanks, gee I hope they carry it...I may try to get the WB now and hope that maybe come August it will just be an automatic switchover....

THink I'd be better off trying the retention line for this? I literally had to cry and whine to get the other broadcast networks as I was turned down by two of them....

Unless you are in a market which gives you your local channels, the WB will not be available as a broadcast network distant channel.

What are your local channels/which market are you in?

There are no local channels in my area, that's why they gave me the nyc feed. I'm in central ny, near utica. Can't I then get the one from Baltimore as Iceberg said?

No.

DirecTV does not offer a "distant network" service for WB. DirecTV (and Dish Network) both offer a distant WB in a locals package where no WB programming exists.

Dish Network however offers the "superstations", which consist of 5 specific channels, three of which are WB affiliates and two UPN affiliates.

DirecTV has never indicated they'd add the superstations. Therefore, until DirecTV offers the Utica local channels, the WB from Baltimore will be off-limits.

Crud! Thanks (I guess :) ) . My parents live close by and get it thru Dish so I assumed I could get it with dtv. Guess not. Maybe another reason to switch. Although, dish was adamant when I called that they wouldn't give me the broadcast networks without a waiver, period, not even with crying and whining and proof that we're surrounded by trees. Is there ANY way around that part of it? There is one local station in Utica (the rest are all far off and I can get waivers for them) but they won't waiver me for nothin'. If it wasn't for a couple shows I like on there I'd say the heck with it!

andreah1 said:
Although, dish was adamant when I called that they wouldn't give me the broadcast networks without a waiver, period, not even with crying and whining and proof that we're surrounded by trees. Is there ANY way around that part of it?
Unfortunately, no.

It is the waiver process that has allowed you to receive the networks from DirecTV. You'd have to go through the waiver process again in order to get distant networks from Dish Network.

Here in NY WB11 broadcasts weekly Mets games and UPN9 carry weekly Yankees games, will CW carry both or will it be another channel?

ShinNYC said:
Here in NY WB11 broadcasts weekly Mets games and UPN9 carry weekly Yankees games, will CW carry both or will it be another channel?

I believe the situation will remain the same. The baseball contracts are with the local stations themselves (channel 9 and 11), not with the larger networks (WB and UPN) behind those stations.

andreah1 said:
Thanks, gee I hope they carry it...I may try to get the WB now and hope that maybe come August it will just be an automatic switchover....

The CW network will not be on the old WB network in all markets. In some markets, it will be on the old UPN station. I think the decision was based on whether the local UPN or WB was an owned and operated station of one of the networks. In NYC, that meant WB11 as UPN9 is actually owned by FOX, from what I understand. Don't know what they are doing in markets where both stations where O & O. The benefit of this is that the CW network will actually have larger coverage in the US than either the WB or UPN had.

You can see which station is your local CW on their website here:

http://www.cwtv.com/cw-affiliates.html

andreah1 said:

C = CBS W = Warner Brothers hence................... CW

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)