WD Velociraptor

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Teehar

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 29, 2010
WNC
Been seriously thinking about getting one to put in my quad core pc.They seem to have pretty solid reviews,anyone here used them?Pros cons?

What would be your application?
Considering the price and size, how would an SSD system-drive compare?
I used to edit a lot of video, and could never justify a pair of them.

Workstation,server mainly.I'm really skittish of the ssd drives.The velociraptors have a 5yr warranty.Oh and the fact that newegg has the 300gb on sale for $70 shipped right now.

10k and 15k drives run extremely hot. So if you go this route you'll need good air flow. If you don't, you'll be using that warranty.

I've been using SSD for 4 years now, and had one fail in 6. That's not a bad failure rate for the limited number involved.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

I played with VelociRaptors for awhile. The SSDs blow them away. I thought about SAS drives too, but never found the right combination to try.
The WD drives are great! Good support too. I've been using WD drives for 10 years or more and never had one fail. Killed a few Seagates and a Maxtor, but never lost a WD.

We use Velociraptor drives in our workstations at work, 3 of them, all of the original ones have been replaced. Not sure if it was the way the workstations were build, they are custom, built before I got there. we have nothing but trouble from two of them. Warranty was easy on replacement, just went to WD website and punched in the serial #s and they sent a new one, and I sent the old one back. pretty easy.

They are faster than normal drives, but I did put one in my home machine and now it is sitting waiting on me to replace the drive.

They are good drives when it comes to speed, but I have had to many failures. I do not think I will be getting any more of them

I have a case that has 25cm side fan plus 2 120mm fans front and back.So cooling shouldn't be an issue.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811162042

All our movies music and photos would be on that pc for serving,so it would be running 24/7.That's why I am concerned about the lifespan of ssd.

That isn't so promising to hear about so many failures,yea the warranty is nice but if you lose all your content not worth it.

I have a case that has 25cm side fan plus 2 120mm fans front and back.So cooling shouldn't be an issue.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811162042

All our movies music and photos would be on that pc for serving,so it would be running 24/7.That's why I am concerned about the lifespan of ssd.

That isn't so promising to hear about so many failures,yea the warranty is nice but if you lose all your content not worth it.

If thats all your doing, you dont need to spend the money on 10k drives.

If thats all your doing, you dont need to spend the money on 10k drives.

Right.

Pack it with memory for file system caching assuming the OS can use it.

Also, for the OS as a server I'd look at a pair of 64GB or 128GB SSD mirrored over a single velociraptor. Less heat, less power and not much in the way of writes.

My Optron server has a relatively small OS drive and several 2tb data drives.
Used to edit video on it, but now it does little more than serve video/pictures.
And it runs 24/7, as well.

I wouldn't consider the time, trouble, nor cost of Velociraptor nor SSD worth it.
Cant think of a lower demand use for a server. ;)

Interesting thoughts guys.I should mention again that it will basically be a aio.Server being the most used,it will also be a work station,moive and music ripping and writing,photos light editing,and light gaming.The Pc is an AMD quad core Phenom II 965,8gb ddr3 pc3-10600 ram.Windows 7 pro 64bit os.It's my first build and I guess the nerd in me just wants to pimp it up a little :D Fast boot times would just be cool.:nerd: As far as bang for the buck platter drives I really like the Samsung spin point F1 series.I have 2 1tb drives I use in this intel and they have been rock solid.Problem is samsung was bought out by seagate so no more F1.Looking back through my receipts I gave $52 for one and $53 for the other shipped.Sure don't see those type of deals anymore.

Thanks for all your input.

So speaking from a geek point of view...No the the velociraptor?If yes to ssd then what would you recommend?

Crucial m4 64 GB (2) and mirror them is my recommendation.

It's about 130 for both Amazon, but the boot speed and application loading will blow your mind.

You'll probably need drive adapters as well.

Crucial m4 64 GB (2) and mirror them is my recommendation.

It's about 130 for both Amazon, but the boot speed and application loading will blow your mind.

You'll probably need drive adapters as well.

Now drive adapters I am familiar with,when you say mirror what exactly does that mean.I know I can google it but, would prefer to get an answer here.

RAID 1 mirroring. I tried RAID 0 on SSDs , striping but that actually slowed it down. I don't think the RAID controller could handle it.

RAID 1 is a mirroring, 2 copies of the data are written, one to each half of the mirror. This saves you from a hardware failure, but doesn't save you from an "Oh-crap!" moment. That's what backups are for.

RAID0 (stripe) has no redundancy -- lose a drive lose ALL the data.

cannot recommend striped

When I built my dual-CPU server, I put the biggest available drives on all four SATA ports.
Those were 300gb Hitachi, as I recall. ;)
I wanted to see the speed of a striped pair, so the last two were set up that way.
While the computer was quick in its day (2x2.2ghz Opterons), no test I ran justified two drives striped.
After a few years, I realized that a failure of either drive would destroy my 600gb, so I changed configuration.

I would suggest an SSD drive for your OS, and a regular hard drive for your data. This way you get the fast boot times and operating times, and you have the space for your data on the second hard drive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)