iTunes 11

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
iTunes 11 is finally out - for the mac at least. The Apple website still shows coming soon but if you go to the app store app on a mac, and select updates, it is available.

Its much simplified, and has a nice elegant feel to it. For those using an iPad with iOS6, itunes now is very similar, particularly the store, but I am impressed with the way the library is organized.

I have not yet fully figured out the changes that iCloud brings to it, but apparently you can be watching a movie (streaming) on your mac, switch to an iPhone, and continue right where you left off.

Gizmodo has a review" http://gizmodo.com/5964255/itunes-11-is-finally-out-heres-whats-new?

I like the cleaner, less cluttered look. What I immediately noticed missing (it may be available somewhere) was the slider for changing the size of the album-art.

I was missing the folder and album viewer on the side, but it's easy to bring it back by going up to the View menu and selecting it.

iTunes 11 still doesn't like my iPhoto library, so I am not 100% happy. I do like the Play Next and Add to Upcoming Playlist functions, but it isn't as easy as the old DJ function to set your Mac up for a party and have your guests select music from your library to play.

Can anyone confirm this ? I'm at work and my iTunes library here is pretty much empty (though I may be able to experiment).
...this new iTunes 11 would not have in preference “share details about your library with Apple.” They excluded album artwork unless you click on this option. Why? So Apple can entice more people to click on such option for marketing purposes. Hey, I am all about marketing and companies selling more and making more $$$ but to deny people something basic as artwork is a little ridiculous unless they “give up” their music library.
Is this person saying that the "find album artwork" no longer works, even if you have sufficient ID3 data for it to look up, unless you share your library ? What I mean is, say you rip a song or two from a CD you own, make sure all the ID3 tags are correct, and you can't get album artwork (I know there's a manual method) ?

Updated yesterday. I cannot stand it.

There's a surprise. :)

Seriously, I like it. Slick, elegant, simple. Took me a minute to figure out where things went to. I think in Album mode its really nice; Artist mode works well too, with the list down the left. In combination with iTunes Match, the new purchased placeholder for streaming is nice - and I really like that you can stream your purchased movies on the mac. Very nice.

Disregard that ^^^ It's not true.

First, I do NOT have the option checked to share my library data with Apple.

I downloaded a song from my Google Music cloud and imported it into iTunes. Next I removed the album's name and told it to get album art. It failed. I then re-added the album's name, repeat the art step, and it got it just like always.

There's a surprise. :)

Seriously, I like it. Slick, elegant, simple. Took me a minute to figure out where things went to. I think in Album mode its really nice; Artist mode works well too, with the list down the left. In combination with iTunes Match, the new purchased placeholder for streaming is nice - and I really like that you can stream your purchased movies on the mac. Very nice.
Removing options does not a better product make. The slink look is nice for those that like it. I think they simplified too much.

One thing I loved about the APPLE UI is the way the folders are organized and viewed. Scrolling through them like flipping pages (eta: Just found out it was called cover flow). The album viewing option is now just a bunch of small icons.

Last edited:
No way they took away cover flow mode .... but it looks like they may have !

"Cover Flow, a major feature when it was introduced, is gone. It's been replaced by the 'Expanded View'..."
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/29/roundup-of-changes-in-itunes-11/

And just about all of the top-rated comments to that ^ article are about cover flow being gone...
That is what it is called, cover flow. That is my biggest issue as well, and a major.

That is the thing I like most about apple UI. That was my single favorite feature in iTunes and it is now gone. At least give us the choice to have cover flow or icon view. Cover flow was something I wish Windows had on some of their software.

I notice on some, but not all, of the TV shows I have purchased in the past there is an iCloud symbol on the picture representing the TV series. Anyone know what the iCloud symbol means?

I have to ask, since they want to be so consistent across platforms, is it gone from iOS ? Our iPods are stuck at v4.2.1 so I don't know about iOS5 or 6.

May have found the answer to my question over at Macworld. I think the iCloud is showing up for stuff I have purchased but removed from my mac. Apparently it is still available to download again if I want it.

There are just way too many issues.

I cannot sync my phone with my computer anymore because it says I do not have enough free space even though I have over 3gigs of free space.

ETA: It was able to sync yesterday with no problem on version iTunes 10. All of the settings are exactly the same.

Last edited:
Apparently it is still available to download again if I want it.
Of course it is. Once you "buy" it, it's always going to be available. You can sign-in on multiple devices (computers, iPods, iPads, Apple TV, etc) and those purchases are playable through any and all (up to 5-6, can't recall the limit) of them.

I notice on some, but not all, of the TV shows I have purchased in the past there is an iCloud symbol on the picture representing the TV series. Anyone know what the iCloud symbol means?

It is available to stream from iCloud OR download.

There are just way too many issues.

I cannot sync my phone with my computer anymore because it says I do not have enough free space even though I have over 3gigs of free space.

ETA: It was able to sync yesterday with no problem on version iTunes 10. All of the settings are exactly the same.

Any chance the JB (I assume you are still on your 3GS?) is messign with it?

Could also be the classic Apple case of not playing well with Windows software. You can download 10.7 from Apple's iTunes site. And just go back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts