iTunes 11

My general impression of iTunes 11 is that I don't like it. I think Apple has actually UNimproved it. I've never really liked how, if I want to put things into my iPhone, I have to do it their way.

This may be my last iPhone, despite how good the actual phone is. When my contract runs out I think I'm seriously going to look at what Android offers by then. I don't really like iTunes.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys App

Any chance the JB (I assume you are still on your 3GS?) is messign with it?

Could also be the classic Apple case of not playing well with Windows software. You can download 10.7 from Apple's iTunes site. And just go back.
I was thinking that could be the issue because some of the space is taken up by JB apps and code that does not show as being used in iTunes. Or some weird thing going on with the communication between the phone and iTunes because my phone is hacked

I was thinking that could be the issue because some of the space is taken up by JB apps and code that does not show as being used in iTunes. Or some weird thing going on with the communication between the phone and iTunes because my phone is hacked

I would not be surprised in the least if that is it. It makes sense, you have a hacked phone. And an old one at that.

I have photos on my iPhone today. The real test will be when I connect tonight to charge my phone and synch. I'm willing to bet that I'll lose all my Events, Faces, and Places from iPhoto.

Totally unrelated off-topic. I dropped in at our Apple store tonight and ogled the new iMac. It is sweet! The thin edge to the bezel does work to make the Mac look impossibly thin. Upon closer examination you see the rounder case. The one hidden feature that isn't in Apple's Gallery is where they hid the vent. The old iMac has a slot along the top edge of the back. The new design is more of a grill, but it hides behind the support arm. The result is a much cleaner look to the iMac from behind.

The 7 Features Killed off in iTunes 11.0

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57556548-37/7-features-apple-killed-off-in-itunes-11/

1. Coverflow (my single favorite feature of many Apple products)
2. The de-duper (never knew such a thing existed)
3. iTunes DJ (never used it)
4. Gapless Playback Editor (another great feature, especially since many of my albums are concept albums)
5. Multiple Windows
6. The other Sidebar (I always hid this as I never had a use for it. It doesn't bother me that it is gone. But like other things they should at least let the user choose if they want it or not)
7. Quick Volume Control (Another feature I used quite often)

Visiting a lot of tech sites, including Apples own forum. This Coverflow issue is the hottest issue being discussed about iTunes 11.0. Let's just say most are pretty upset that they took that feature away.

The 7 Features Killed off in iTunes 11.0

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57556548-37/7-features-apple-killed-off-in-itunes-11/

1. Coverflow (my single favorite feature of many Apple products)
2. The de-duper (never knew such a thing existed)
3. iTunes DJ (never used it)
4. Gapless Playback Editor (another great feature, especially since many of my albums are concept albums)
5. Multiple Windows
6. The other Sidebar (I always hid this as I never had a use for it. It doesn't bother me that it is gone. But like other things they should at least let the user choose if they want it or not)
7. Quick Volume Control (Another feature I used quite often)

I miss the traditional column browser. Pretty much that's it. I NEVER use coverflow on the Mac/PC, and barely use it on the iPhone/iPad. Like you I don't know what #2 is, or #3. Never use 4. The multiple windows I used occasionally. Don't know what the other sidebar is.

For me quick volume control are the three volume buttons on my mac. :)

Software evolves. iTunes is , with the rest of the mac, more like the iOS version. Thus, it is familiar. Can't say I am upset with it. And you can still run 10.7.

I have no issues other than my earlier confusion about the iCloud TV shows. The unwatched view gives me what I want to see. Just did an iPhone sync with no issues. Overall I think it is a nice update.

I presume de-duper is "Find duplicates" from the File menu. There are 3rd-party options out there though.
Here is what it says in the article I linked

2. The de-duper
In the world of collecting and organizing digital music, you might get a duplicate or a thousand in your library. By default, iTunes won't let you re-add another music file if you've already added it, but accidents happen and large libraries can overlap.
In iTunes 10.7 and earlier, Apple offered a built-in tool that would sniff out duplicates and put them on a single page. It wasn't great, but it was something, and free. In iTunes 11, the feature is missing in action.
Third-party tools like $40 TuneUp can bridge the gap with a feature that finds and deletes duplicates, grabs album art, and fixes metadata. Mac users can also use the $15 Dupin.
Don't know why it is all that important? A few duplicate songs are not going to make much difference in the amount of storage you have on your drive.

My wife's phone, which is not JB and has much less free space than mine, was able to sync with no issues at all. It must be because mine phone is JB that it will not sync?

My wife's phone, which is not JB and has much less free space than mine, was able to sync with no issues at all. It must be because mine phone is JB that it will not sync?

Yeah, Sure sounds like Apple found another way to mess with JB.

Reason I encountered this, and used it or 3rd-party tools, was I had consolidated multiple libraries from different PCs onto one PC. I also mistakenly imported my iPod's library after a hard drive crash. I ended up with a few hundred duplicates and in some cases, 3-4 copies of the same song !

I used this script, DeDuper, from here http://samsoft.org.uk/iTunes/scripts.asp. That is NOT what Apple removed obviously. It's for Windows but there are similar ones for Macs.

Looks like I am getting a new phone.

The reason why it won't sync is not because it is JB, but because of hardware. The dock connector is damaged. I have to hold the chord with my hands just right in order to charge. If I hold it in the right place it will sync. Most of the time I plug it in it I get the message, "Charging is not supported with this accessory". It does not matter which chord or plug I use.

Off to go phone shopping.

Looks like I am getting a new phone.

The reason why it won't sync is not because it is JB, but because of hardware. The dock connector is damaged. I have to hold the chord with my hands just right in order to charge. If I hold it in the right place it will sync. Most of the time I plug it in it I get the message, "Charging is not supported with this accessory". It does not matter which chord or plug I use.

Off to go phone shopping.
Just picked up a black 32 gig iPhone 5

Originally Posted by SkiKing
Just picked up a black 32 gig iPhone 5
That's the one I got. I also picked up the new Lightning Digital AV Adapter which work pretty much like the one I have with the 30-pin dock connector. My wife can still use it on her iPad.

I hear Apple will restore the Find Duplicates function in 11.0.1, but Cover Flow doesn't have the Love so it's history.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts