We all live on farms or ranches ?

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
Charlie thinks so....
But Dish customers aren't thinking about zombies stunts in New York City, Mr. Ergen said during the call. "They live in farms and ranches," he said.

I do like this statement that Charlie made though:
Dish has replaced AMC with Mark Cuban's HDNet Movies, which Mr. Ergen argued is just as attractive to its subscribers. "When we analyze the movies that were on AMC, just as an example, and look at HDNet, the majority of the movies are on AMC are also on HDNet, except with HDNet, we had a lower cost structure than AMC materially," Mr. Ergen said on the call.
Dish Chairman Says Subscribers Don't Like AMC That Much | Media - Advertising Age

But Dish customers aren't thinking about zombies stunts in New York City, Mr. Ergen said during the call. "They live in farms and ranches," he said.

It's likely true that Sat providers have a higher proportion of rural views than cable or FIOS. Part of that is most of them have no other choice.

I'll bet the large percentage of Dish customers are on farms or ranches.
I'll bet not simply because of the number of farms vs homes in urban areas. No doubt that a lot of farms have Dish (or Directv), but that's not by choice. As noted, cable systems just don't cover low-density population areas. Many years ago, this was probably true. Today ? I'm not so sure...
I live in a farm town where MediaCon is the only option other than satellite.
Don't worry, it's absolutely normal for there to be just (1) cable company option. The number of cities with choices of cable is by far in the minority.

rural america allowed the sat companies to get to where they are.
so yeah, they most likely have a larger then normal rural base

I lived in a town in Florida back in 1994-1995 where it was mostly woods. We had moved to another part of town a few months prior to my return to NJ, and we ended up in an area where it was impossible to get cable. My parents decided to go with Primestar. As a fan of Beavis and Butthead, it sucked no longer having MTV. But it was better than settling for just OTA TV.

Just from what I see when I travel to northern Michigan the satellite Dish I see the most of is Dish.

How dare Mr.Ergen insinuate that we all live on farms or ranches!:D I would like to inform him,that we live in the forest!:p

This statement is right up there with my favorite "send us your paychecks" gaff. Love it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)