We just received our 1st r15 dvr

Status
Please reply by conversation.
minorthr said:
To be honest with you it has one feature which is an absolute deal breaker for me.

The fact that you can not watch something that has already been recorded while its recording 2 programs is horrible. I'm hoping that is not a harware limitation and is fixed in the future. It sounds promising but come on how difficult is it to do that. The D* Tivo has done that ever since they enabled the second tuner in it.

Directv wouldn't be dumb enough to come out with a flaw this bad....would they? I really hope not as I do this all the time with my Directivo. I hope this step forward by Directv isn't in all actuality a step back.

kbohip said:
Directv wouldn't be dumb enough to come out with a flaw this bad....would they? I really hope not as I do this all the time with my Directivo. I hope this step forward by Directv isn't in all actuality a step back.

You would hope not but if you read the manual thats what it says. We just need someone to confirm this.

------
The fact that you can not watch something that has already been recorded while its recording 2 programs is horrible.
------

Actually, if I understand it correctly, I thought the problem was that you cannot watch the currently recording shows. That is, if the 1-hour show is currently into 30 minutes, you cannot watch it for another 30 minutes. Watching recording-completed shows while others are recoding seems possible.

I agree it's still stupid. I sometimes find myself with my TiVo cancelling a show recording currently in progress because it's not something I want (a duplicate due to the lack of information in the guide, for example).

Hong.

Hogarth said:
For what it's worth, DD, DirecTV Call Center CSRs really aren't granted any free time to run around and simply try these things out. They generally can only experiment with hardware in training classes, or if a specific customer question comes in. I doubt they'll get any additional information before we, the public, receive the hardware ourselves.

Well, according to a thread here or on TivoCommunity, someone in Tulsa was claiming there were a bunch of R15 units sitting around hooked up to "Sammy HDs" for them to "play with." So, that sounds a little diff.

Ricky

DesignDawg said:
Well, according to a thread here or on TivoCommunity, someone in Tulsa was claiming there were a bunch of R15 units sitting around hooked up to "Sammy HDs" for them to "play with." So, that sounds a little diff.

Ricky

There's two.
And while they're definitely available for the playing, DirecTV more or less chains it's workers to their desks.

Got it.

Cool. But you said something about being able to answer specific questions. There have been some specific questions asked.

Ricky

Will these new units work with wireless networks or do we still have to have a telephone line to run the service. I want to get a DVR unit but don't want to pay for a telephone line just for that. I want it to run off my home network right off the bat.

hongcho said:
------
The fact that you can not watch something that has already been recorded while its recording 2 programs is horrible.
------

Actually, if I understand it correctly, I thought the problem was that you cannot watch the currently recording shows. That is, if the 1-hour show is currently into 30 minutes, you cannot watch it for another 30 minutes. Watching recording-completed shows while others are recoding seems possible.

I agree it's still stupid. I sometimes find myself with my TiVo cancelling a show recording currently in progress because it's not something I want (a duplicate due to the lack of information in the guide, for example).

Hong.

If thats the case thats just as bad if not worse.

There's been a lot of potential misinformation regarding the ability to watch programs while they're being recorded. Here is what the manual says:

"If you schedule two programs to record at the same time (using the time-based Manual recording feature), you cannot watch either of them while they are being recorded. Cancel one of the recordings, or wait until a recording is complete."

Note that this is in reference to time-based Manual recordings. If this applied to all recordings, then I wouldn't expect this clarification in the manual.

Don't know about Tivo but on my UTV there is a way to set a timed recording instead of clicking record when in the guide. I've never actually used this myself. I'm assuming that a similar functionality exists in the R15 and that is where this limitation arises. Of course, until somebody has actually seen the thing in action, anything's possible. However, it seems pretty unlikely that Directv would release a product with such an obvious limitation.

Why does anyone think the USB Port would be for anything but a keyboard and/or mouse as they have been for most every STB up to this point - especially given the nature of the R15?

hongcho said:
------
------

Hong.

Actually what it means is this:

Say you are recording a 1 hour swho and it's 30 minutes into it. You can't watch it "live" as it being recorded so you couldn't just rewind to the beginning and watch it. You need to go into is listing of recorded programs (the now playing list) and select it from there and you can start watching from the beginning while it's still recording. Couple extra button clicks but no big deal (and it's what I usually do with the Tivo anyway, I don't want to see something and spoil the show while I rewind, especially sports).

Get this --
At a DirecTV call center, the R-15s have been removed from the floor, and sent home with supervisors. Apparently, management did not appreciate details of the hardware getting posted to the internet.

I don't understand why DirecTV doesn't figure it out that if THEY were forthcoming with details that WE wouldn't be so sneaky in trying to acquire them.

... Oh, and there's no 30-second skip. At least, not without an easter egg/secret code.

H

As far as i know the "30 sec skip" feature was pattonted by Ultimate Tv orginally. Then when microsofts attempt at a dvr went under they sold that right to Replay TV. So I "THINK" thats correct.

And as for the dvr itself from what i understand as well is this dvr has been used for 3-4 years in other countrys with Sky which murdoch owns the pvr tech for. I took some "tours" on their website about 6 months ago and they seem almost identical with a few improvments. Just thought i would give my input.

No.

No, 30-sec. skip was on other DVRs before UltimateTV. ReplayTV has always had it. And there were others. E* DVRs still have it. There is no patent issue with 30-sec. skip. Just a legal one (people suing to try to make us watch commercials).

And the R15 is most definitely not a BskyB box. You can do the tour of the BskyB site right now and check out those boxes. They are not the same. If they were, we would probably have gotten them a long time ago.

Ricky

Any New Updates?

We just got our new D* install with 2 R10's last week. We are coming from E* and there DVR. My wife absolutely hates the R10 interface compared to E*'s. I really do not care for it either and am waiting to here when the new R15's are going to be released. Are there any screen shots available of the new units so we can see what the user interface is like?

CEV said:
We just got our new D* install with 2 R10's last week. We are coming from E* and there DVR. My wife absolutely hates the R10 interface compared to E*'s. I really do not care for it either and am waiting to here when the new R15's are going to be released. Are there any screen shots available of the new units so we can see what the user interface is like?

The preliminary draft of the R15 manual contains screen shots. (Unfortunately in B/W, not color.)

The forum software isn't allowing me to post the link, so I've PM'd it to you.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)