We Really Had It Great With Voom!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I still can't believe they're gone. I'm stuck suffering with adelphia cable. If dish ever picks up the full voom21 then I'll sign up with them. Until then, dish really sucks, dtv is a joke, and adelphia is sadly the best option out of a bad bunch. It's kind of like picking the best smelling turd. Damn I miss voom.

Yup, have to agree. While I do like my DVR and VOD, I still would go back to Voom in a heartbeat. I think they came to market a bit too soon. 1-2 years ago, HD was still an oddity for many. Now, even for the big box stores, X-Box, etc., it is all you hear about. Too bad there is no content.

I thought the cable companies might step up but they are using any available bandwidth for VOD. Since most folks think digital cable = HD, they can get away with it.

Equally sad is that the D-Theater HD format appears to have been abandoned as well

Originally I was going to buy a 211 and get only HDPak and Voom21 January 2006 for a monthly cost of $21. Pretty good deal for excellent higher HD picture quality.

But when E* changed Voom to HDlite in early December, I decided to turn in my leased 811 and watch only OTA higher HD till the dust settles at E*.

Last edited:
Man, Voom must have been good if people are still talking about it 6 months after it's demise. As for me, I wouldn't have touched Voom with a ten foot pole, not because they didn't have the best HD service, which they obviously did, but because they didn't have a dvr. I very rarely watch anything live anymore (like as in 10% of the time) with my HD-Tivo. Having that ability is even more important than HD to me. Yes, Directv's HD "package" is so pathetic it's maddening, but what I use the HD-Tivo for the most is Tivoing HD-OTA programs. When my half off HD package deal runs out in a few months I'll probably just cancel it. I don't see anywhere close to $11 a month in content there.

The Voom fans here can kid themselves all they want but the lack of a dvr really hurt Voom. Voom was marketed to people who wanted and had the best in home electronics. Consumers like that are the perfect candidate for a dvr. I know, I am one. If you want proof, tell me how else Directv could have sold HD-Tivos for $1,000 when they first came out, especially considering their horrific HD-package. Of course I paid $200 for mine through a "special" deal. That was the limit of what I would spend to get an HD-Tivo considering the sparse HD programming. To say how much I like my dvr, if I had the choice between all HD channels or a few with a dvr, I'd take the second choice everytime.

So I'm with Directv now, with an HD-Tivo just hoping that once they get the new sats. up their HD programming gets WAY better. If not, I may switch to Dish, but only if they improve their dvr's.

PS, I'm not here to rub salt in old wounds. I know how it is to lose something you like a lot. I'm just trying to provide another perspective on the subject, from someone who saw Vooms greatness, but didn't get it because of one major flaw.

kbohip said:
Man, Voom must have been good if people are still talking about it 6 months after it's demise. As for me, I wouldn't have touched Voom with a ten foot pole, not because they didn't have the best HD service, which they obviously did, but because they didn't have a dvr. I very rarely watch anything live anymore (like as in 10% of the time) with my HD-Tivo. Having that ability is even more important than HD to me. Yes, Directv's HD "package" is so pathetic it's maddening, but what I use the HD-Tivo for the most is Tivoing HD-OTA programs. When my half off HD package deal runs out in a few months I'll probably just cancel it. I don't see anywhere close to $11 a month in content there.

The Voom fans here can kid themselves all they want but the lack of a dvr really hurt Voom. Voom was marketed to people who wanted and had the best in home electronics. Consumers like that are the perfect candidate for a dvr. I know, I am one. If you want proof, tell me how else Directv could have sold HD-Tivos for $1,000 when they first came out, especially considering their horrific HD-package. Of course I paid $200 for mine through a "special" deal. That was the limit of what I would spend to get an HD-Tivo considering the sparse HD programming. To say how much I like my dvr, if I had the choice between all HD channels or a few with a dvr, I'd take the second choice everytime.

So I'm with Directv now, with an HD-Tivo just hoping that once they get the new sats. up their HD programming gets WAY better. If not, I may switch to Dish, but only if they improve their dvr's.

PS, I'm not here to rub salt in old wounds. I know how it is to lose something you like a lot. I'm just trying to provide another perspective on the subject, from someone who saw Vooms greatness, but didn't get it because of one major flaw.
Hey, you are exactly right. Voom died because of bad timing (people weren't ready for HD those few months ago) and lack of a HD-DVR. So many people passed it up because of that. I still loved Voom anyway even without the DVR, but of course it would have been FAR better with a DVR. And you are right that they should have had the DVR from the beginning because that was their customer base!!

People also complained about the programming, but I thought it was EXCELLENT and all commercial-free! Where were you going to beat that??

Everything out there now is not worth my subscription dollars. I will stick to renting videos until Voom21 or something like it is available again.

The Voom dish still stands proudly above my house in case the signal starts up again. :up

1080BeVuMiNOT!!!

I'm still amazed more people didn't jump on the Voom bandwagon. What was the final subsciber count? 40,000...that's pitiful. You can't pay the bills with that kind of numbers. I finally took my dish off the roof but still use 2 of the receivers for my local ota's. They do a great job for that. I have cable now and it really sucks. After Dish changes it's format I will have satellite again and will be Vooming again. I can't wait. Anyone know when that will all take place??

snaggerbob said:
...I have cable now and it really sucks. After Dish changes it's format I will have satellite again and will be Vooming again. I can't wait. Anyone know when that will all take place??

Look for some announcement at the CES around January 6, 2006.

UPDATE: go to the Dish Sat Guys site for summary of January 9, 2006 Charle Chat.

Last edited:
Like most of the responses in this thread, I miss Voom tremendously. Sadly, the only time I get to use the two Voom boxes is when the HD signal from one of the local channels is weak and the picture starts to breakup. The Voom box does not have this problem and the PQ is a bit sharper as well.
Having an HD DVR has been great although the number is HD channels is surely lacking. I really miss the FU, WorldCinema and Monster channels from Voom's original channel lineup, along with all of the other HD channels like the East/West feeds of the premium channels and Universal HD. I even miss the short-lived HD feed of WealthTV.
I switched over to Time Warner cable in the interim while I wait for Dish to pick up all of the Voom originals. Does anyone know when this will happen? I thought it would be sometime in Jan-06.

hdtvGeek said:
Yes, Marcel Living in a Bellsouth area is the pits, to bad FIOS isn't an option in this area. Dish gives you < 1/2 the Voom for almost twice the price (plus all the home shopping channels you can puke at). DirecTv is a joke, I can pick up locals via OTA just fine, they need to use the bandwidth for more national HDTV. And let's not forget Insight, all the fuzzy analog you could want and little in the way of digital let alone HD content.

Man I'd like to kick everyone who complained about Voom, it was the BEST, good HD, good mix of SD at a very good price.

Still OTA only using the Voom Box.

Amen Brother!! Amen.

Voom

Hi everyone am new to Sat tv but i found this forum to be so interesting, am a bit surprised to hear you guys like Voom so much, i work for the company that created Voom, which is actually a cable operator in the ny metro area, and it amazes me that Voom had such a following. We at the cable side of the business pretty much hated Voom from from the very beggining because of all the money being spend by the company to start the business and then all the money being spent to keep it afloat. It got to the point where it even divided the board of directors into Pro Voom and Anti Voom. The end result was basically all the pro Voom people ended up getting thown out of the board and that pretty much how Voom came to its demise. maybe if they had know Voom had such a loyal following things might have been different.

E_NYCE,

welcome to the board. But I guess it is a little too late for those anti-voomers to realize the cult they had created :)

E_nyce said:
The end result was basically all the pro Voom people ended up getting thown out of the board and that pretty much how Voom came to its demise. maybe if they had know Voom had such a loyal following things might have been different.

actually it was the majority of the people that were anti voom that got replaced. Unfortunatly they were replaced with people that felt the same way :mad:

Dearest Santa...

1080iBeVuMin said:
The Voom dish still stands proudly above my house in case the signal starts up again. :up
1080BeVuMiNOT!!!
...All I want for Christmas is to VoOm again!! The VoOm dish still stands sentinel over my home as well, searching the heavens each night, looking for a miracle.
Sorry...guess I'm just getting a little sentimental over lost loves!
Merry Christmas to all the old gang...it was great "seeing" you!!:luvlove:
Vicki

Welcome back Vicki!
Happy Holidays to all fellow VOOMers!

Well, I am glad that some of the VOOM channels are available on E* and I am excited that more VOOM channels are coming soon. Still, I miss the old VOOM!
What I miss the most is the 40+ (VOOM and non-VOOM) HD channels and being able to watch HD almost exclusively! With E* and with the current shortage of new HD content, I now find myself watching SD channels most of the time, which is sad...

Vicki said:
...All I want for Christmas is to VoOm again!! The VoOm dish still stands sentinel over my home as well, searching the heavens each night, looking for a miracle.
Sorry...guess I'm just getting a little sentimental over lost loves!
Merry Christmas to all the old gang...it was great "seeing" you!!:luvlove:
Vicki

Hi Vicki,

I have found myself pining for VOOM. I saw my VOOM receiver this weekend and really got down about it. One of my kids said he misses the HD cartoons. I miss....all of it. I almost hooked the receiver up just so I could read the start-up. I went D* and I'm not sorry about it. If E* would offer their Voom/HD package as a stand alone, I might add it to what I have.

But I really miss VOOM and I would jump to a third provider with massive HD content in a heartbeat.

I'm also one still pissed-off ex Voomer who went through the good, the bad and the ugly (mostly good if it wasn't raining. I live in the SF bay area). I missed Voom a lot. For the life of me, I can't still figure out why it failed. THIRTY PLUS HD channels! Give me a break, no f***** way it will fail. How can people not have subscribed to Voom? It was a no brainer. Thirty plus hd channels! And it was just the beginning. If it didn't fold, we could be in HD hog's heaven by now.
Now I have cable....what a joke.
Anyway, I'm planning to switch to E* by January. Fifteen HD channels is a lot better than what I have right now.
Cheers to everyone, especially the voom faithfuls, and THANK YOU SATELLITEGUYS!
P.S. Any chance of Voom being resurrected in the future?

wallypa said:
P.S. Any chance of Voom being resurrected in the future?
NO! Unfortunately, VOOM DBS could not compete against industry giants E* and D*...and I doubt whether E* and D* can both survive (at least as we currently know them) once the telcos (Verizon, AT&T) and IPTV providers roll-out video service en masse. It should be interesting to see what happens over the next two years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)