We Really Had It Great With Voom!!

Well, as I said, Voomless means TV-less for me, except for renting videos in SD. :( Voom was indeed in a class of its own.

We had some exciting times on the SatelliteGuys Voom forum, didn't we! I was never so eager to go online. I had to get the daily saga and find out if Voom was surviving or dying. Did the brat take over or did daddy kick him out of the house. The developments were almost as entertaining as watching Voom!

Hi Vicki! Hi Ilya, and hi to everybody else. I will keep my hopes for good Voom news and will check in every month or so. Here's to a great 06!

1080iBeVuMiNOT!!

Yea....VOOM was great while it lasted. I remember checking this site everyday to see if there were any new ch's. There was always so much excitement. Now, I am a Dish sub just for the HD pack and the VOOM pack. I enjoy the hd but it's not as good as VOOM was. At least we didn't lose it all.

mkwillia said:
I miss Voom as well. I still can't get used to not having mostly every HD channel that was offed at that time. I am still trying to replace that HD void. Comcast is ok but it fall short.
:(

Dish network has 10 of the voom channels and i pay only $5 more a month. I believe that they are going to add the rest of the voom channels in early 2006:yikes

wired4fta said:
Dish network has 10 of the voom channels and i pay only $5 more a month. I believe that they are going to add the rest of the voom channels in early 2006:yikes
If you haven't experienced VOOM (in its previous incarnation), then you can't truly appreciate what we miss so much...
What Dish currently has doesn't even come close. And it's not just 21 VOOM channels vs. 10, and not just the fact that these channels had a much greater variety in the past, but it's also a whole lot of other HD channels too: two HD channels of HBO, two HD channels of Showtime, two HD channels of Starz, two HD channels of Cinemax, TMC-HD, Encore-HD, Bravo-HD (later Universal-HD), Wealth-HD, even Playboy-HD!

With such a line-up you could simpy forget about SD channels and watch HD almost exclusively. And that was at the time when other DBS companies and most cable companies offered just a handful of HD channels if any...

Ilya said:
If you haven't experienced VOOM (in its previous incarnation), then you can't truly appreciate what we miss so much...
What Dish currently has doesn't even come close. And it's not just 21 VOOM channels vs. 10, and not just the fact that these channels had a much greater variety in the past, but it's also a whole lot of other HD channels too: two HD channels of HBO, two HD channels of Showtime, two HD channels of Starz, two HD channels of Cinemax, TMC-HD, Encore-HD, Bravo-HD (later Universal-HD), Wealth-HD, even Playboy-HD!

With such a line-up you could simpy forget about SD channels and watch HD almost exclusively. And that was at the time when other DBS companies and most cable companies offered just a handful of HD channels if any...

Oh my GOSH stop it!! I miss my Voom so much!!!:river

Don't cry! ;) HD will be back! Next year or the year after! VOOM was just a bit ahead of its time...

Ilya said:
Exactly! I remember being furious at the dish retailer who called me for my 'upgrade'. Upgrade?!?!

I too am watching mostly SD anymore. It's sad. I also watch a lot of down-converted HD from the ex-voom boxes that are connected to a pair of Tivos at my house.

I'm on the lookout for a HDD200 for my 4DTV box so I can enjoy some full rez HD :D .

1080iBeVuMin said:
We had some exciting times on the SatelliteGuys Voom forum, didn't we! I was never so eager to go online. I had to get the daily saga and find out if Voom was surviving or dying. Did the brat take over or did daddy kick him out of the house. The developments were almost as entertaining as watching Voom!
!

It was the best read of the year, missing only a body turning up in the east river. Somebody really needs to turn it into a book.

Although it's been a while since Voom departed, I still for the life of me can't figure out the real reason it failed. Customer service was not that bad. Bad installs, why, D* and E* are no better. Marketing? Well, maybe. Price was competitive considering what they offered. Mind boggling.

Just like a lot of folks in this forum, I do miss Voom a lot, warts and all. I live in No. California and I went through a lot of frustration with Voom (especially when it rains), but when I looked at the alternative, well, it was a no brainer.

Now I'm with cable, and you know how that goes. I do plan to switch to E* this coming January. Fifteen Voom channels is better than what I have right now. This might be wishful thinking, but I still believe that someday soon Voom will be resurrected from its virtual grave and we will all be in HD hog's heaven.

Cheers everyone, and special Cheers to Satelliteguys.us!

Ilya said:
Don't cry! ;) HD will be back! Next year or the year after! VOOM was just a bit ahead of its time...

I'm still hd less and can't stomach cable right now. what does the magic 8 ball say regarding which provider will give the most VOOM-like experience? I'm getting upgrade-itis for my home theater, and would like to get a 1080p projector in the next year or two. the only HD content seems to be through the Sony PS3 at this point (which may not arrive until next fall)

and yes, i miss VOOM too.

Merry Christmas

wallypa said:
Although it's been a while since Voom departed, I still for the life of me can't figure out the real reason it failed. Customer service was not that bad. Bad installs, why, D* and E* are no better. Marketing? Well, maybe. Price was competitive considering what they offered. Mind boggling.
Just like a lot of folks in this forum, I do miss Voom a lot, warts and all. I live in No. California and I went through a lot of frustration with Voom (especially when it rains), but when I looked at the alternative, well, it was a no brainer.
Now I'm with cable, and you know how that goes. I do plan to switch to E* this coming January. Fifteen Voom channels is better than what I have right now. This might be wishful thinking, but I still believe that someday soon Voom will be resurrected from its virtual grave and we will all be in HD hog's heaven.
Cheers everyone, and special Cheers to Satelliteguys.us!
It was not quite a year ago I ordered VOOM and I didn't realize all the HD I had been missing and wonder if we EVER will see everything we had all in one place with VOOM???? No hint of Starz HD at E* and not the other Movie Channel HD either--no Universal HD, etc.
However, I did pick up E* in May when VOOM left for the HD, but now with only part of VOOM returning in January, I still feel cheated, but will wait till a year from now and see where the HD is.
If you haven't already ordered and are interested
in a special deal with a CLub Dish Referral, let me know or PM me and I will send you a Referral Code that gives you $25 off your install. It gives me a credit on my next bill. Thanks and let's hope, someday, VOOM will be resurrected--there is definitely room for 3 Satellite TV providers--there is no competition with the two that are there.

Happy Holidays from me to all of you x Voomers. If Voom could have signed 100,000 scribers the first year it would still be going strong. They only had 40,000 scribers in 1.5 years.

IF this was a year ago and DISH were pulling the same antics it is now--which is, instead of all 21 VOOM Channels, only 15 and HD-LITE.

Also, ditching the LIFETIME network (only network playing old reruns of UNSOLVED MYSTERIES, one of the most popular programs ever) and LIFETIME MOVIE NETWORK.

With all this in mind, HOW MANY DISH customers would have jumped over to VOOM!!!!!

HOW SAD, HOW VERY SAD!!!

Again, we not only lost content, quality, programming, good CSR, equipment BUT we REALLY lost the American standard of competition and ANTI-TRUST.

We have lost a lot more than VOOM, I am afraid. a LOT More!

Bookwalk i don't have the DishNetwork but i hear what your saying. No one even comes close to the HD programming that Voom offered us. Your right we have lost a lot more then just Voom.

Of course you had it great. Other than providing local channels (which was the killer for me), VOOM was the best deal ever. So great of a deal that it was unsustainable. Do you really think that VOOM could have continued to stay in business when they were losing money with every customer, and the only customers they could hope for were the ones with HD television sets?

No, to be successful, rates would have been raised to cover the Rainbow programming costs, local channels and additional SD would have been added to attract more subs, and resolutions would have dropped to accomodate the extra channels. Gosh, sounds just like the E* and D* business models.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)