We Want More Hd, Charlie!!!!

Iceman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 18, 2003
Georgia
$10 a month for a few HD channels is insane!!! We want more HD!!!! HD locals would be a great start.
It seems like a little over a year ago when Charlie said Dish Network is the HD leader. Then he changed that to say Dish Network WILL BE the HD leader. He last said, I don't see any HD compelling to add. How about letting the customer decide that??? Voom has done just that.
We obviously don't care if it's a channel about rock collecting. When it's HD, all of the sudden it's worth watching.
Please get more HD soon. Like yesterday soon.

Actually you should prioritize. I don't want any HD, if it's total crap content I don't want it taking up space.

I particulary want Universal HD and ESPN2 HD.

And they have room to add 3 HD channels now. That line "MPEG4 is needed for more HD" is total crap

There is an entire transponder (19) sitting empty on 110 right now. It's been used for HD before. Now it's sitting dead friggin empty. Please put Universal HD and ESPN2HD on it.

Not to burst any bubbles, but I am all for HD don't get me wrong. But here is my take on it. If Charlie let "us" decide what is compelling, it could end his company up like Voom's. If you haven't seen yet, Voom is up for sale. With only 26,000 customers maybe that is why they are up for sale?? :) I am not a huge Charlie fan, since I just cancelled my E* account and switched to D*. I would rather wait and have true HD channels that aren't upcoverted, streched, or whatever than having an HD channel that runs re-runs all day in subpar PQ . Just my 2 cents.

Enforcer said:
Not to burst any bubbles, but I am all for HD don't get me wrong. But here is my take on it. If Charlie let "us" decide what is compelling, it could end his company up like Voom's. If you haven't seen yet, Voom is up for sale. With only 26,000 customers maybe that is why they are up for sale?? :) I am not a huge Charlie fan, since I just cancelled my E* account and switched to D*. I would rather wait and have true HD channels that aren't upcoverted, streched, or whatever than having an HD channel that runs re-runs all day in subpar PQ . Just my 2 cents.
\

Sounds exactly like a true Dish Network CSR!!!

I don't care if it is upconverted. Upconverted looks better than most of the crap I am getting from Dish anyway. Keep in mind until recent, HDNet, and Discovery HD were the only TRUE HD Dish had in the HD pack. HDNet movies, ESPN HD were mostly upconverted.

More Hd

I agree that any HD is welcomed. If there are mainstream channels in HD available...Dish should offer them. I am not concerned about receiving more locals as I can receive those already via antenna. Right now the only thing keeping me at dish is the high price tag at DTV for their HD Tivo unit. Especially since the 921 is a dead dog.

n0qcu, I don't think something can be downgraded to HD. I could be wrong, but HD is the top of the line in terms of picture, at least for right now. I know about some technology in Japan being developed that is supposed to be clearer than HD.

Nope n0qcu is right. Film is downconverted to HD because film has a higher resoultion than HDTV.

Darnit!!!!!!

Why dish why!!!

The freaking 6 channel app is back on TP19, boo, waa :( :(

Please return the HD to us :(

DBSOgre said:
n0qcu, I don't think something can be downgraded to HD. I could be wrong, but HD is the top of the line in terms of picture, at least for right now. I know about some technology in Japan being developed that is supposed to be clearer than HD.
I think what he's saying is that photographic images on movie film as seen in the theater are much higher resolution than 1080i, 720p, or any current HD format. Like BFG said.

DBSOgre said:

35mm film actually has a higher resolution than HDTV so when they convert a film to HD there is some loss of detail. Film has a softer look than say a Discovery HD program so it can lack that "wow" factor, but film still provides for more detail.

NightRyder

mdonnelly said:
I think what he's saying is that photographic images on movie film as seen in the theater are much higher resolution than 1080i, 720p, or any current HD format. Like BFG said.

Typically, film has 4000 lines of resolution. They're working on a 4k home projection system in Japan. I doubt we'll ever see that in broadcast television in our lifetimes, not with the struggles we're having just getting 720p or 1080i... :(

Compelling Content

We've seen lots of folks expound on their favorite HD Channel that E* should add.

I'm wondering if there might be any value to creating a Poll that listed all available HD channels and allowed the members to vote for two or three.

Perhaps either some consensus would show up, or perhaps enough overall votes would indicate that there is indeed compelling content available.

Because of broadcast restrictions, I'd doubt that including networks would be of much value at this point, but I may be wrong. I'm guessing that some of the Voom private content would also be out of bounds (unless E* buys them).

I've not done many polls so I'm not sure what tools are available in terms of adding choices or changing votes. Both would be helpful to get a feel for what we activists consider compelling.

Here are the HD channels that I can think of off of the top of my head.

ESPN2
INHD
INHD2
Starz-HD
Universal-HD
CineMax-HD
TheMovieChannel-HD
encore-HD

Perhaps with input, we can expand/narrow it down then create a poll.

NightRyder said:
For what $#*@!$ purpose?? :mad:

NightRyder

Umm.. Maybe the 6 channel app will be for the Rose Parade from 6 angles. LOL

OR it could be testing for the Superbowl.

This just in:

*Press Release*

Englewood CO

Echostar to debut clock channel in 6 timezones!

It was just announced that the leading satellite provider in the nation Echostar, instead of providing more compelling content to satellite televisions subscribers, Echostar Communications Corporation is providing a new interactive application to their customers that will allow them to view their current time in one of six popular time zones from New Zealand to Hawaii.

A spokesman from Echostar could not be reached for comment at this time.

Backchannel sources report that this service has been in the works for quite some time and were confident it would be ready for the new year. At present only an analog version woild be available, but as soon as AMC-15 is parked and operational, they would also offer a digital version. Customers were previewed this channel on a recent Echostar Communications 'Charlie Chat' where the CEO announced plans to make this channel their priority new release.

Faxman said:
We've seen lots of folks expound on their favorite HD Channel that E* should add.
I would also like to see more true-HD channels. I watch a lot of movies, but to upconvert SD to HD like some of the TNT-HD content, I would rather do without. Fuzzy, blurry picture quality is not what I would pay for.

As more and more content is recorded digitally, the HD arena will grow. For those of us on the bleeding edge, there will be a lag time. It is hard to be at the front of the pack and have your voice heard. I would love to have more true HD content tomorrow. To be realistic, it won't happen overnight, but it *WILL* happen.

Even the HD-Demo channel has finally been upgraded. I like the virtual aqaurium. :D

So in closing, I want what I want, and I want more HD. But I want GENUINE HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts