Weak OTA signals - 2 TVs

PipeDream

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 20, 2004
I get weak OTA signals and everything that breaks the line (like splitters, VCR, etc.) weakens the already weak signal even more. I want to have 2 TVs off the one OTA Antenna. So, instead of adding a splitter, I'm thinking of attaching 2 coax 75 ohm transformers to the antenna and running a seperate coax to each TV. Anyone think this will weaken the signal also? Would this be worth the effort?

Are you talking about an outdoor antenna? How far are you from the broadcast antenna's? Before you try two transformers try to repoint it slightly, or try an amplifier.
Two transformers will load the antenna down causing mismatch!

Yeah, outdoor rooftop VHF/UHF antenna. About 100 mi. roadwise from St. Louis Locals.
Already got it pointed for strongest signal. Had an amplifier, helped a little-not very much, until lightening took it out. Lot of trouble and $ replacing one of those when the improvment was hardly noticable.

Two 75 ohm connectors at antenna will weaken the signal more than a splitter?

Also researching about ganging to VHF/UHF antennas. Seems the info is more towards UHF antennas. Couldn't I just stack two identical antennas and connect them together where the 74 ohm transformers connect?

Yeah, outdoor rooftop VHF/UHF antenna. About 100 mi. roadwise from St. Louis Locals.
Already got it pointed for strongest signal. Had an amplifier, helped a little-not very much, until lightening took it out. Lot of trouble and $ replacing one of those when the improvment was hardly noticable.

Two 75 ohm connectors at antenna will weaken the signal more than a splitter?

Also researching about ganging two VHF/UHF antennas. Seems the info is more towards UHF antennas. Couldn't I just stack two identical antennas and connect them together where the 75 ohm transformers connect?

You are pretty far from the stations that you desire (you mentioned 100 miles roadwise
how far line of sight).
try www.antennaweb.org.
How is the signal if you feed only one TV?
Do you have any stations closer from another location?

Two 75ohm loads on one antenna will cause a mismatch and I don't know exactly how bad so I cannot give you a solid figure, power splitters have a 3-3.5db loss or half power.

Sorry I am not familier with the practice of ganging similiar antenna's together, but I would be interested to know what you find out.

The link gives about 70 mi. as the distance.
Sometimes a pretty good signal, other times no signal at all.
But most of the time a snowy picture with a weak signal. Fade outs
worse at some times more than others. Didn't find any HDTV channel
signals either. HDTV box gives analog signal about 40% right now.

I'm about 10' above the eve where the 1 1/2" steel pole is held to the
house. Don't think going higher like that is a good idea. Upped the pole about 4-5' higher with a 2x4 when installing but that wasn't enough to improve the signal so I'm just using the two 10' sections.

Yes, I'd like more "how to" info about ganging two antennas together without
buying much extra stuff. Thinking about using 3' cable from the 300 ohm lead wire nuts, from both antennas, connected parallel, and attaching a 75 ohm transformer there. Any ideas welcome!

Just use a good splitter in reverse, I did that with two cheapo indoor rabbit ears and picked a few channels up when I first got my HD receiver. Also try a preamp.

Anyway as for the correct answer, at that distance, you need to get a tower and get above the tree line or building tops... Everything affects signal from dense material, the sun, or to how much moisture is in the air and on/in the leaves and branches of trees and objects...Not to mention other radio signals... Line of site is the usually the best answer. Everyone around here who is more then 25-30 miles out from the city who is using an antenna has a 50 to 100 foot tower.

I know this is going to sound crazy, but I am 60+ miles away from the Oklahoma City local channels and I am able to pull in nine DTV stations (plus 6 sub channels) with a RCA ANT1250 indoor amplified antenna that I paid around $30.00 for at Wal-Mart. Plus I can receive all of the analog channels with a decent picture. (may need to adjust the antenna sometimes, but hey it's right there on my entertainment center.) Of course this doesn't mean it would work for you, but you could always buy one of these or another amplified antenna see if it works, if it does buy another, if it doesn't take it back and say it didn't work. Just an idea. If you go putting up a tower and depending on how old your antenna is, replacing your outdoor antenna, you are going to spend more money than $60.

Hi tonyp,
You must be at a good high elevation. When I was located in flatland Louisiana I could easily pick up stations 70+ miles away. Here in the Missouri hills is a different story. I'm
still thinking of ganging two antennas together when I can catch one on sale. I get some signal, just hope to increase it some.

Problem with amps is lightning likes them a little too much. Don't like replacing them either. Adding a 50-100' tower is quite an endeavor and replacing any amp on that lightning rod doesn't seem to my liking.

Just trying to supplement my FTA Satellite viewing with a better signal on some local stations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)