WEAK WIRELESS SIGNAL

Status
Please reply by conversation.

reevesjo

Original poster
Jun 13, 2018
Wilkinson, IN
Just updated to DIRECTV Genie. Wireless hookup only shows 2 bars. Not enough to get added features from DIRECTV. My wireless modem is from Centurylink. The modem is 3 rooms away in my computer room. How can I improve the signal. Hard wire? I see only a phone jack on the back of the receiver. As a side note, my laptop works OK with the wireless connection in the TV room and I can print from this laptop wireless with the printer in the modem room. So, the wireless is powerful enough for the laptop & printer, but not for the added features on the new Genie.

:welcome to Satelliteguys reevesjo!

Which Genie do you have? IIRC, the HR44 has a phone and ethernet port, the HR54 and HS17 have only an ethernet port.

One more question. I don't have the Ethernet cable yet, but when I get it: The DIRECTV receiver thinks it is hooked up wireless. Do I need to re-set anything or is the receiver smart enough to recognize the Ethernet cable?

One more question. I don't have the Ethernet cable yet, but when I get it: The DIRECTV receiver thinks it is hooked up wireless. Do I need to re-set anything or is the receiver smart enough to recognize the Ethernet cable?
Not certain, but I think it will auto detect.

I received the Ethernet Cable and ran the set-up. It improved the reception, but was still not strong enough to access all of the features. Next question: It was suggested above to use a "broadband ethernet adapter". Not familiar with this device. Can someone advise me? One more note. The DIRECTV installer that brought out the Genie said the CenturyLink fiber optics cable in this area might not ever be strong enough to run the extra features of the Genie.

If you can't get a decent speed with a direct connection then you certainly won't with a powerline (sorry, I typed broadband earlier. I'll just blame lack of coffee) ethernet adapter.

I think they are talking about DECA/MOCA. I used two for Ethernet over Cable (RG6) DECAS until I got around to pulling Cat6. If you RG6 back to your receiver you can do it.. Been four years so I'm rusty. If DECA is not built into the receiver you'll need another gizmo. I scrounge around for some schematics.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts