This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Weather Channel now has direct local weather link!

ItaliaVP

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island, NY
I just turned on the Weather Channel and the little icon appeared in the top left hand corner similar to what CNN has currently. I hit the select button on my remote and the interactive bar came up with my local forecast. I exited out and it seems the icon is not coming up again..perhaps its a test? I have a 622 btw.

Edit: The icon came back after a few minutes.

Well at least their testing this again.Once they deliver the finished product you will see the slideshow like you do with the cable version.Maybe their reading these post.I haven't seen that icon yet.I wish they would put it on 301 and 510 receivers.

I just tried it on both my 622s. for some reason i had to set up my location again, but after i did that it works pretty well. loads faster than what's on channel 100, but same exact application. it does a fairly smooth job of popping and exiting. and yeah on the 10s, rather than 8s.

was hoping we 'd get something more cable-like, but this is better than nothing.

i do wish E* would figure out a way to have this always available rather than just on the 10s. since it is the same app as channel 100, no real reason to have to wait till 10s, but i suspect might be an issue to always have the icon on 214, and what that might mean for the 'select' button.

It changes my aspect from "stretch" to "normal" while the app is one screen. It even seems to up cyan pillars on the sides.

Fortunately it switches back to stretch when I exit the application.

Won't this feature also display severe weather information based upon the zip code? Seems this was mentioned in one of the earliest theads describing the roll-out of this.

While I'm sure that "Emergency Broadcast" feature is in the works, I don't think that its related directly to the Weather Channel applicatin.

I remember that they did EBS test a few months ago on Dish.

Once the finished product gets put on it will be like the cable version.Here is the copied link.

In addition for the first time ever Satellite viewers will be able to view their full local weather information on the Weather on The 8's!

Dish Network viewers will be presented with a banner prompting them to press SELECT for their local weather. When the viewers presses SELECT, the Locals on the 8s slideshow presentation begins. The information presented in the slide show consists of: Current Conditions, Severe Weather Alerts, Local Observations, Regional Radar, Daypart Forecast, Short Term Forecast, 5-Day Extended Forecast. The information is presented with the stame style and look that cable tv viewers enjoy today.

In addition the new TWC Interactive can alert viewers of area Weather Alerts for their area.

I doubt this will happen in my lifetime (I'm 33) but maybe my kids or my kids, kids will have an opportunity to use this 'revolutionary" feature.

It would be nice, if they ever get the local weather working, to have an option to turn on popups for the weather channel only without all the useless popups on the other channels.

Even if they did use the one on 100 as long as they had the slide show and made the radar bigger and to where it shows your area up close along with precipitation movements I'd be happy.Also I'm not seeing it on mine yet.

Once the finished product gets put on it will be like the cable version.Here is the copied link.

In addition for the first time ever Satellite viewers will be able to view their full local weather information on the Weather on The 8's!

Nothing yet on my receivers. Two ViP211's, One 811 and One 301.

Jeff, is that a link up there to see the finnished product? I don't see a link.

Here's the whole thing, while we're at it:
Link to the offical thread concerning it (over 60 pages!):
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...eather-channel-interactive-60.html#post938527
-----------
That's what it was "supposed" to look like. Now, all bets are off to what the plan is (maybe just show the current offering on the 8's?). Do note by the text that I highlighted in bold, that the radar is "regional," and probably not local, county by county maps that update every ten seconds and show you exactly where severe weather is located...