Channel 213 Local Weather channel? April 2023

gittist

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
Did DISH remove the local Weather channel that was on 213? It was there yesterday and not today. That is something that my wife uses everyday.

The interactive weather channel for VIP receivers was removed. I'm in the process of having conversations to see what we can do to restore it, but I have no timeline currently.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Did DISH remove the local Weather channel that was on 213? It was there yesterday and not today. That is something that my wife uses everyday.
Yesterday the app wouldn't open, giving me a message that there was a problem and to try later. Today when I enter 2-1-3 it jumps to channel 214. When I checked the program guide 213 is no longer there. I have a 211k with AT120 programming. I hope we're not losing this feature.

I just received a phone call from my parents this morning about this very issue. According to them their local weather on channel 213 was gone. They also mentioned a 'preview' channel being gone. I read the posts above about it being back as well as on another dish forum (where people said they had to 'update' and it was back). However - according to my parents it is not back for them.

Their receiver is the VIP211K receiver. They have no internet. They have the Smart Pack without local channels as those are received over OTA using the OTA connection on the VIP211K.

Is there an extra step that must be done to at minimum get 213 weather back? Note that this is something I would have to talk them through over the phone (and I'm not overly familiar with dish boxes).

I just received a phone call from my parents this morning about this very issue. According to them their local weather on channel 213 was gone. They also mentioned a 'preview' channel being gone. I read the posts above about it being back as well as on another dish forum (where people said they had to 'update' and it was back). However - according to my parents it is not back for them.

Their receiver is the VIP211K receiver. They have no internet. They have the Smart Pack without local channels as those are received over OTA using the OTA connection on the VIP211K.

Is there an extra step that must be done to at minimum get 213 weather back? Note that this is something I would have to talk them through over the phone (and I'm not overly familiar with dish boxes).
Guide button>Channel up> Select>Channel up... Screen will turn black change to desired channel for weather channel stuck. May have to do this several times.

Guide button>Channel up> Select>Channel up... Screen will turn black change to desired channel for weather channel stuck. May have to do this several times.
Start this process on any channel? If they direct tune to 213 it just goes to 214 for them. I assume channel up isn't just a page up while in the guide.

EDIT: Actually - this may be a satellite issue. A user on another forum mentioned the whole 110, 119, and 129 moves - which seems like it may be the root cause here as their receiver appears to be only using 110 and 119.

Last edited:
Start this process on any channel? If they direct tune to 213 it just goes to 214 for them. I assume channel up isn't just a page up while in the guide.

EDIT: Actually - this may be a satellite issue. A user on another forum mentioned the whole 110, 119, and 129 moves - which seems like it may be the root cause here as their receiver appears to be only using 110 and 119.
That would be the issue. They should still get 214 in HD as that is now on the 119 satellite, but the SD version, which is tied to the app, is on 129. So if they only get 110 and 119, but don't get 129, there will still be an issue.

So I'm assuming that if the 213 local 'app' is super-important to them - their only solution is change out to the Wally? Or can the VIP211K use a dish if it had the 3rd lnb? Apologies for these questions. They're asking me for solutions - and as I don't use Dish myself I'm researching on the fly. If needing to get a Wally - that will be an entire new thread as I need to validate items I've been reading regarding their current setup and using a Wally (as opposed to hijacking this one).

So I'm assuming that if the 213 local 'app' is super-important to them - their only solution is change out to the Wally? Or can the VIP211K use a dish if it had the 3rd lnb? Apologies for these questions. They're asking me for solutions - and as I don't use Dish myself I'm researching on the fly. If needing to get a Wally - that will be an entire new thread as I need to validate items I've been reading regarding their current setup and using a Wally (as opposed to hijacking this one).
The weather app on wally and hopper requires internet.

Ah -- so no change. Three of the constants that will be true of any current or future dish usage with my parents in their rural location is that they will never be connected to internet .. they will never have more than the single TV using it .. and they have no use for DVR functionality.

Next time I visit .. I need to visit my Aunt as well. My mother's sister has satellite as well with 2 rooms (living room and bedroom) .. but also no internet. During our conversations today - my mother is certain her sister does have the app available to her through the menu on the hopper.

Should be back now.

Wow, good work. So, Josh, since you seem to be the guy who can get things done, how about fixing my little problem?

Ever since KFDM in Beaumont TX moved their Fox station from 4.1 to 6.3, we don't get any guide data for OTA 6.3. It just say Fox 4. The guide data on OTA 4.1 still shows for Fox programming, even though it is now Dabble.

This has been that way for a couple of years. I've contacted DISH multiple times and they claim it has been reported to an Engineer and will be fixed "soon". Still has not.

Thanks. You da man.

Actually, I just realized I misread your question. My answer was for the ones who were stuck on the interactive guide and couldn't exit out from that.

Wow, good work. So, Josh, since you seem to be the guy who can get things done, how about fixing my little problem?

Ever since KFDM in Beaumont TX moved their Fox station from 4.1 to 6.3, we don't get any guide data for OTA 6.3. It just say Fox 4. The guide data on OTA 4.1 still shows for Fox programming, even though it is now Dabble.

This has been that way for a couple of years. I've contacted DISH multiple times and they claim it has been reported to an Engineer and will be fixed "soon". Still has not.

Thanks. You da man.
DM me a picture of your guide with the info being wrong.