Weingard Square Shooter- OTA anyone?

Seawaves

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Weingard Square Shooter - OTA Solution- had anyone used?

There had been some real positive feedback on this new antenna from Weingard, maybe we should encourage Voom to look into it.

Here is a copy of one post from Remote Central-

"Just thought I'd let you guys know that I recently discovered a new HD antenna. In the past we specifically used the Channel Master 4228 8 bay and have been pretty happy with it. We were installing them in attics. 95% of the time they worked great the other 5% would drive us crazy.

Anyway, I purchased a weingard "squareshooter" the other day. It comes with a satellite type mast and can mount outside or in the attis. In this case we mounted it outside. We used a Channel master 7777 amp. If you haven't seen one of these antennas yet it is only about 18x18". Needless to say we were a little concerned before we installed it. I told the customer they were a guinea pig and they were fine with that.

The thing worked incredibly!! We ran the cable out the customers window before we mounted it, just in case it was a piece of garbage. It was picking up all of the HD channels on a HD300 receiver signal was all the way to the "d" in "good". And this is while it was laying on the ground."

Actually VOOM started to use Winegard, the other day the installer came to my home because I started lossing some OTA, I am using Channal Master Stealth right now be he brought Winegard with him model was "Sensar II" we Installed to check how it was working, I didn't see any difference and I decide the keep the channal master, but he did replace the board inside just in case.I will call and see if they have other winegard model I would like to try that one

I had a huge Weingard installed 12/02 and get all my local channels but I'd love to have something this small on my roof. This SS seems to go really well with a dish.

The installers inmy area are carrying the Weingard 8800. However, I am currently using the Channelmaster 4228, which is a bigger version of the Weingaurd 8800.

Let me digress for a moment -

I live in West Palm. Sometime over the past couple days, all of the Miami stations were mapped into my box. I have no idea why since I've never raised a mapping issue with Voom and they weren't there before. My box has been rock solid since installed a month ago and I've never rebooted. How these stations got there perplexes me but is relevant to this thread.

I live in a townhouse community made up of two-story quad buildings. I installed the Square Shooter on a ten foot pole attached to my patio screen frame. The screen frame slopes down to eight feet on the sides, so the SS extends only two feet above the frame and is very aesthetically pleasing. I get excellent reception of the WPB stations that have towers only about eight miles away. The shocking thing, to me, is that the Miami towers are 52 miles away and I'm getting moderately decent reception (occasional dropouts) with the Square Shooter. This is with the two-story adjacent building directly in the line of sight to Miami and only about thirty feet away from the SS. No way I'm actually shooting over that building.

There is a many, many page thread about the SS over on AVS Forums. I can distill those many pages this way so you don't have to read them. The techno-experts insist the SS has to be a POS that will barely work based on the technical specs of its construction. They refuse to even buy it to try it. The converse is there are many, many posts from individuals who have bought it. 99.9% of those go like this: "I know nothing about specs, don't understand them, and don't care. All I know is I put up the SS and it works fantastically".

You can put me in the camp that doesn't know, doesn't care, and am extremely impressed by what this antenna does in a very difficult environment.

jimmykce1 said:
The installers inmy area are carrying the Weingard 8800. However, I am currently using the Channelmaster 4228, which is a bigger version of the Weingaurd 8800.

I've tried the 8800, with no luck at all. They are going to replace it with a SS. Hopefully it will work.

-John

I read a post about a guy who was picking up the signal reflecting off the neighboring building with this antenna because there was a house in LOS to the towers. I haven't read a single post about someone not having great results with this antenna. I have the behemoth 8800 but I have a big roof and it is on the backside of the peak.

The weird thing about the little SS is that Weingard recommends picking up a bounced signal with it- if your line of sight is blocked. What is this world coming to, could OTA setups actually be getting easier? One guy at RC was saying that they are sticking these in attics and still getting a great signal.

wasch_24 said:
I haven't read a single post about someone not having great results with this antenna. I have the behemoth 8800 but I have a big roof and it is on the backside of the peak.

Well here is one. I have the stealth rigtht now. I live in up against some mountains I can not get channel 8 and 10 in San Deigo. The Installer came out and installed the Square shooter to see what would happen. It could not receive any channels OTA at my location.

Here's another negative post about the SS...

Second hand, anyway. My installer had one on the truck last week he had tried somewhere else. He was not impressed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)