Weirdest problem ever: sound and on-screen menus, but no channel video

snissen

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 19, 2006
southern MN
OK, this is by far the weirdest problem I've had in my 10 years of DISH use: Right now, on all channels on my ViP622, I get sound but not the video picture for the channel. And it's not that my television is broken, because if I ask for the on-screen program guide or menus or lists of my recordings or anything else, those display just fine.

So I can use the menus to select a program I have recorded, and I can play the recording and hear it, but none of the video picture displays--it's just a blank black screen. Same thing with live viewing: sound is fine, but no picture.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? What do I do? (I'm trying a reset now, but that can take up to 20 minutes.)

Or even how this weird mix can happen?

Help! Sande

Last edited:
A few years ago my 722 would do that. Hasn't happened in a long time, so far as I can remember. So I think Dish fixed it for the 722.

Maybe there is a law of conservation of bugs...

I think the 622 had a bunch of hdmi failures at one point.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Wouldn't an HDMI failure also affect the display of non-video images like menus and the EPG?

I understand why my sound wasn't affected, because it doesn't go through the HDMI/DVI-D connection to the television; it goes straight from the DVR to my home theater system using the SPDIF(?) optical audio output.

If you get your sound from the optical port and the video is not there, then I think the HDMI cable is bad or is not hand shaking with TV. Drat that HDCP. Try the RGB cables to bypass that case.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)