Welcome New Members! (Please Say HI here!)

Hello to you all at SatelliteGuys.....I look forward to reading up in the SAT industry and learning more and more about my NEW DishNetwork set up.
Thanks to all that make this site possible and all the hard work it take to keep it going
Peace to ALL

New to satellite and need a basic understanding of how it all works. i.e. How do the satellite Cos. interface with the receivers and how does software upgrades and program guides get on the receiver, etc. Also want to know how buying equipment works with a Dish account instead of renting.... Tell me what forums, info I can go to. Thanks.

My first post here.

I don't even have satellite service because I live in the woods (not my trees so no cutting)! Anyway, I am over at an elderly couple's place on a pretty regular basis either resetting their Dish modem or nob twirling their stereo receiver or fixing their computer. So I really need a place to get help and suggestions and also I may have a shot at Satellite reception due to a recent storm. (thank you mother nature). I have Charter cable (hate it) and 6mb DSL .

Happy to be among you..... tpik

Hello all, great community you guys have here! I'ts much better than many others I've checked out.
So i'm a total noob with Sat tech, I am a Dish subscriber at the present, but I'm intrigued by FTA so I just ordered my first reciever from V-tech yesterday, so I'm sure I will have many questions for all you more experienced folks here.

Looks like a fantastic place to resolve Tech. questions!

I just wish your "guide posts" for Newbies were a little more user-friendly. I've been stumbling around for 3 hours - just beginning to figure it out.

I'm using a link that reads: "Reply", for an "Initial Post".

That sounds like something designed by the people at Microsoft... "Click 'Start' to shut down"...? :rolleyes:

Anyway... anxious to "get in" and start scratching around. Your "Forum" sections look very diverse & interesting. Gives me the feeling of stepping aboard a ship where every sailor has the look of an "old salt". That's a good feeling to have as you pull away from the pier. But, can be intimidating to the "Boot" just reporting aboard. Even so, new stuff is always fun to do!

Be gentle... Here we go!

Hey ther! - Jason from Northern Colorado here. Been a sat customer for nearly ten years. Finally took the DTV plunge today. BTW: DISH VIP622 no longer requires POTS as long as a full-time ethernet conection (to broadband) is available.

Hello to all

Hello all just stopped by to say hello.

I am Mark Loomis here from Springfield,MO

I am a Satellite Installer looking for a tech

forum for some Q & A.

Let me know of some please.

Thanks Mark

Tony

I am new here. My first post. I am a disabled Vietnam Veteran. Served in the USMC with 3rd Marine Division.
Also retired from the Internal Revenue Service now at 1 year 7 months and counting.

Great to be retired at 58 and have time to wander around the internet and learn new things.

I came across your website when I was looking for some informtion about Sky Angel. Decided to sign up and see what I am able to learn
about FTA, as I really do not care to subsribe to Dish Net Work or Direct TV.

Since we have had Sky Angel (in 2000 Lifetime), we have not watched regular TV in along time.

Sorry for the long post.........from Lockhart, TX

Hi, I found this (AWESOME) site while trying to find more info on Chiller being added to Dish Network. I REALLY hope to see it soon on channel 199, although I think they might be holding out until they add USA and SCI FI in HD!

Hi all, First post here although been a member of dbsforums for long time. Been a subscriber to Direct TV since November 2001 and XM subscriber since 2005. Enjoy the forums here. Linux Mint 4.0, Freespire 2.0, Ubuntu 7.04 and XP computer user.

cleto

I am new as a member of the Satelliteguys. I am interest reading of what is going on Satellite forum such the Satelliteguys forum and 4dtv. This way keep me inform of what is going on and busy working on my computer. I am retired. Thank you for taking me as a member of the Satelliteguys forum.

Just wanted to say hi since I just joined today.
I work in radio but found this because I am needing some help that my dish installer could give me. I will be posting soon about needing some help with a dvr625 - using the 2nd tv dual tuner, and a modulator - trying to hook up a dvd player with no luck. So which forum would I go to? Any direction here to get the best advice? I have a 2 year old and just not enough time to "play with it" and figure it out!
Thanks in advance!!!!

I found your forum while searching for information on the end of SA on satellite. I have ordered and received a Fortec motorized system. The installation of my ground-mounted pole is complete, but the Arkansas weather is not cooperating. Maybe in the next few days the rain will subside enough to finish installing the dish.

My other interests include ham (extra class ticket), and shortwave radio listening.

You have a great forum and I enjoy it very much. It has been very helpful.

Hi everyone my name is Paul Young I live outside Reno Nevada and have satellite everything, it's that or nothing. I work in the semiconductor industry.

Dish or D* upgrade

Hi from a Newbie,
I have searched & wandered around this site for weeks, but this is my 1st post. I have not found the answers I am looking for, which is my problem. I now have both Dish & D* installed and working in SD format & am now interested in upgrade to HD, (Do we have a choice ?)

My situation as follows:

1) Currently use a Dish 500/DVR as my major programming source
2) My Dish receiver is starting to act up (Intermittent hard drive
problems) Needs to be replaced.
3) I use the D* only for the NFL Sunday Ticket.
4) Seems like a good time to upgrade to either Dish or D*
5) Need advise on upgrade either satellite to HD/DVR.
6) Both antennas & the receivers would be needed to upgrade
7) I intend to install all this myself. (I have moved both systems twice)

This is a lengthy post, so please excuse. Detailed replies would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

MarlynJ

Greetings to all.
I have a question.
I have a telstar 5 set up. Of 21 frequencies I have trouble with one 11863 down link 20765 Verticle. I get all the other frquencies to work but this one which happens to have channels from Tehran. Any ideas?