Welcome Pack

The primary (first receiver) on an account does not incur a receiver fee. If you choose a DVR, there will be a $6.00 DVR fee (exception is a 50X series box). You can choose a VIP211 and add an External HD, for a one time $40.00 fee but no monthly charges.

How much is the DVR fee on a 50X series box?

can we add the VIP211 to a welcome package?

does adding or changing a receiver increase the contract dates?

The 501 /508 pvrs have no dvr fees. The 510 pvr does have a $6.00 dvr fee.
If you own the 211 receiver and not in contract with DISH , you should be able to add it to the welcome pack.
There is no contract dates for adding an Owned receiver, there would be if you leased from DISH or did an upgrade to a newer receiver.

The 501 /508 pvrs have no dvr fees. The 510 pvr does have a $6.00 dvr fee.
thanks!

If you own the 211 receiver and not in contract with DISH , you should be able to add it to the welcome pack.
There is no contract dates for adding an Owned receiver, there would be if you leased from DISH or did an upgrade to a newer receiver.
thanks!
so can I buy a 501 /508 pvr @ goodwill/ ebay, check if it's clear in store? why no dvr fees?

are they dual tuner??

Last edited:
the 501 & 508 are single tuner units
only difference is the hard drive size (40GB vs 80GB if I recall)

thanks I will shop around for the 508 and 211

can the 211 receiver be used as a dvr w/o a fee? i thought they were activating the hd for free?

Last edited:
because the 211 has no hard drive built in. It can be used as just a receiver so there is no DVR fee, You pay a one time $40 fee and put a hard drive attached to it and now its a DVR

As what I know, the Welcome Pack and Dish Family is available when you wish to right-size your programming package, when you call Dish. They're priced at $14.99 and $24.99, respectively.

will be using "dish mover" tomorrow with a 322 and the welcome package.

Since it has a dual tuner does it cost extra for a second dish/ ability to watch 2 diff channels on 2 tvs

or does dish charge by reciever??

Since it has a dual tuner does it cost extra for a second dish/ ability to watch 2 diff channels on 2 tvs

The first receiver normally is included in the base price. The primary would be the most expensive receiver. Additional receivers would cost extra [$7/mo for a Solo, $14/mo for a Duo, $17/mo for a Duo DVR]. DVR fees are $6/month. I am not sure how much the 922 is; I think I read a while back that it was $21/mo and had a $10/month DVR fee. However, do not quote me on the 922 stuff.

I currently have the 322 and the Welcome Package with Locals. Since that is my only receiver, there is no second receiver fee.

thx for all the replies!

watching my welcome package now on my 322. Svideo is tolerable downstairs, but Hate SD especially over coax, very grainy. so I will switch to HD.

Any recommendations for a cheap component out, duo reciever? I don't think there any duo HD DVR w/o monthly fees? Would the picture be better for the SD channels

In the interim installers couldn't figure out how to use my antenna and bring my OTA channels onto the 322 dish guide even though they tried. It has an antenna in. Anyone?

That's not exactly an antenna "in" on your 322. It's strictly a passthrough from an antenna through to your TV when your 322 is off. The 322 has no OTA tuner of it's own, as many Dish HD receivers do.

The only DVRs without a monthly fee are the SD-only 501 and 508. The rest incur $6/mo/account. The 811 was a Dish HD MPEG-2 receiver. It has been rebadged as the SD 381 even though it is still good for OTA HD via component outputs. All current Dish HD receivers have component out (as well as HDMI).

Cheapest HD receiver is the 411/211/211k single sat tuner + OTA tuner. Duo DVRs include the 622/722/722k/922.

Fastest way to block all PPV charges is to call up Dish and ask for your "PPV credit limit" to be set to zero.

The 811 was a Dish HD MPEG-2 receiver. It has been rebadged as the SD 381 even though it is still good for OTA HD via component outputs. .

Thx! that would be exactly what I am asking for the SD welcome packge+HD OTA locals.

Except it's a single reciever. Any cheap "rebadged HD" duos w/ a similar OTA tuner?

best I found : Duo ViP 222k for $80?

Last edited:
Please note that none of the Welcome Pack channels are available in HD unless you upgrade your package. Many of the preview channels are available in HD.

Any cheap "rebadged HD" duos w/ a similar OTA tuner?

best I found : Duo ViP 222k for $80?
I see several potential problems with the 222k.

1) It uses an extra-cost plug-in module for OTA tuners. (A 222 has a single built-in OTA tuner usable on TV1 only IIRC.)

2) It's TV2 output is still SD like your 322. It will, however, put out a better SD picture when tuned to an HD channel.

3) It cannot be converted to a DVR like the 411/211/211k can.

So basically I'm suggesting you also consider a pair of 211's. The 2nd 211 will cost you an extra $7/mo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)