Welcome Package with 811?

giddy169

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
I was wondering if I could use my old 811 for dish's $14.99 welcome package? The person signing up wouldn't have been a dish customer. I would rather use that than a 301 because I can get OTA HD locals with the 811.

Are you saying any and all 811s laying in people's closets will be activated as a 381? Isn't a 381 something only from Dish?

The 811 and the 381 are the same receiver but a different number on it

The 811 use to get the old HD package on 110 (5 channels for 9.99) in MPEG2. It will not work on MPEG4. Dish just rebadged them as a 381. It works for MPEG2 SD and HD OTA

$20 says if you gave E* the R & S# it shows in their system as a 811/381

But lets see what the DIsh folks say ;)

Last edited:
$20 says if you gave D* the R & S# it shows in their system as a 811/381

But lets see what the DIsh folks say ;)

Oh, I'd say $20 and D* would say something to the effect "WTF?" I think you meant E*. Wow, Iceberg made an error! ;)

Just a heads up, you can't activate straight to the welcome pack. You'll have to go to the AT120, then have it changed after the services are activated. If you want me to do anything for you, feel free to PM.

Thought I had read that on here before, thanks for the info!

Just a heads up, you can't activate straight to the welcome pack. You'll have to go to the AT120, then have it changed after the services are activated. If you want me to do anything for you, feel free to PM.

The 811 is now a 381 which Dish will activate on Western Arc (MPEG2 receiver)
As a QPSK only receiver, they may not be activating them anymore on either arc.

Posts from late January 2009 indicate that the 811 wasn't being activated on new accounts then (someone asked exactly the same question except the Welcome Pack was $9.99 then).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)