Well, i finally did it!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

shultz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2006
87W 40N
Well, i finally got all the parts to the "BIG BUD" i picked up a couple of weeks back, spent the last 3 days out in the 95+ degree days (i look & feel like a french fry) diggin and installing everything, and it WORKS! I still need to do a little tweeking here & there, but it actually works! :clap That uniden ultra receiver is a good one, but it must be really old. I had to put in a few sats to pickup, and the ones that were in there, i've never heard of and they wouldn't pickup anything. And theres no way of adding tp's to it, so the channels i am picking up, i don't have a clue as to what they are! Would it be better to buy a new receiver? If so, what a good one for c band? OR should i try to do the slave thing?? (gotta read up on that)
thanks for any help!

Attachments

• 000_0031.jpg
    000_0031.jpg
    494.4 KB · Views: 284
  • 000_0032.jpg
    000_0032.jpg
    466.3 KB · Views: 315
  • 000_0033.jpg
    000_0033.jpg
    490.3 KB · Views: 312
Looks great nice installation. Looks like the same dish I have. I am waiting for the upper 70's to low 80's predicted for NE Oklahoma in the next week to try and get mine up. Hopefully it will look as nice as yours. I ghetto aimed it over the holiday weekend by leaning it against the fence and picked up a couple of analog channels to see if everything still worked.

I think if I were you, the first thing I'd probably do is use a high frequency splitter and slave the Coolsat to the Uniden. The powered leg goes to the Uniden, so it can control the lnb and the unpowered to the Coolsat. This will allow you to use the Uniden to move the dish and still scan with the Coolsat. You can get a feel for what digital channels are available FTA this way. Then you can decide if you want to move up to 4dtv, go FTA, or use both with your BUD. If you go FTA only, you'll probably want to invest in a Vbox and a lnbf (one of the BSC's or the Geosat model). This will allow an FTA receiver to move the BUD and control the lnbf. Personally, I'm using a Vbox, Geosat lnbf, and a PC card. I control the dish with MyTheatre and use the MT network encoder for Sage TV. It's pretty cool having a state-of-the-art DVR controlling your BUD.

Mike

congrats on your install. I remember my first bud install. It's a little work, but a big reward later. Looks great. like the previous poster said - You have room for a lot more dishes LOL.

Nice dish and pictures!

I think that was the dish you showed us a while back and I identified it as a Pinnacle. How's the signal quality coming on yours? They are a little tough to tweak just right. :D

Fred

Thanks for the comments and the slaving advice. So far i've only scanned my ts sat to make sure i was pointed that way, and picked up 14 channels at around 87 Q. still want to do a little more tweeking this weekend if it don't rain anymore. Funny you should mention room for more dishes, i told my wife the same thing! she said all those dishes poppin up were makin rabbits look bad. lol and yes, i'm hooked :) but hey...everyman needs a hobby!!!

Outstanding job!

I thank my wife daily for my c-band dish, if you do not have c-band in some form in your FTA lineup you are missing out.

Great pics, too. I have mine high like that too. Easy to cut under with the lawnmower. Hurricanes are gonna be hard on mine if it gets to that though. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.