Well, I'm switching to D*

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well today's the day!

And I can't wait! Hopefully the installers will show up on time considering Dish decided to cut me off at 6:20 this morning. Currently watching ABC on OTA.

Well the installer showed up. It's just one guy but he seems pretty smart and knows what he's doing. I'll post another update later.

Everything going smoothly so far. The genie has been installed (just downloading a software update) and now he's installing the client on the 2nd TV.

Edit: I knew the client was small, but it still surprised me to see how small it was in person.:eek::)

Last edited:
good luck, enjoy, i just re-uped with direct in Nov, have the same set-up, Genie one client, love it, i also have an old H20 that i use for camping.

Overall, the install went well. The only snag was with the cinema connection kit because the remote wouldn't type in the letters in the password. I tried to switch the network password to numbers only, but I could not figure out how to do so so I told him to forget the cc kit. Out of all the years I've watched TV, I think I've only used VOD maybe once and that was it. Anyway the install is finished and I'm looking forward to enjoying it.

I am about to switch as well. My install is set for next Tuesday. I've been with Dish for 8.5 years so this is a big, big switch for me. Glad to hear your install went smoothly. Hoping mine does as well.

I am about to switch as well. My install is set for next Tuesday. I've been with Dish for 8.5 years so this is a big, big switch for me. Glad to hear your install went smoothly. Hoping mine does as well.
I was with Dish for over 8 years as well. It's sort of a big learning curve to get used used to things with Direct, but surely we'll get used to it later on.

I've switched a few times over the years and never found the differences daunting enough to take very long to figure out and get comfortable with. For me, it usually takes longer to have my fingers magically remember the channel numbers so I can switch in the dark by feel.

Remember you can just plug an ethernet cable directly into the HR34 (and only the HR34) to get the internet connection working. Don't forget that it's also used for Pandora, YouTube, TVApps, MediaShare and the iPad DIRECTV application.

One thing I'll tell ya right away......the "channels I get" option doesnt work properly. While it does work to a point (when I dropped from Chocie Xtra to Entertainment it did grey out most of the channels I dont get) but the sports area it shows pretty much all of the RSN's

so ya gotta set up a favorites :)

Remember you can just plug an ethernet cable directly into the HR34 (and only the HR34) to get the internet connection working. Don't forget that it's also used for Pandora, YouTube, TVApps, MediaShare and the iPad DIRECTV application.

yup. I have mine hooked up to the HR34 that way

One thing I'll tell ya right away......the "channels I get" option doesnt work properly. While it does work to a point (when I dropped from Chocie Xtra to Entertainment it did grey out most of the channels I dont get) but the sports area it shows pretty much all of the RSN's

Amen to that! CIG has been an ongoing bug since the very first HR hit the street!

Of course, you could subscribe to Premier and it is ALMOST completely correct then! :)

I figured I'd get that nugget out right away because usually thats one of the 1st things folks ask about
(why CIG shows channels I DONT get)

example of this is ESPNNews is greyed out but ESPNU is not (neither are in Entertainment)

Yeah, that's one of the 1st things I noticed as well. I'll set up a favs list tomorrow when I have more time.

For any techies out there that are curious, he installed a slimline-3S with the one LNB and it's obviously connected with a SWM setup. he used a couple of the coax cables from the old Dish setup since they were still in good condition. I also noticed that D* PQ is a bit more "deeper" and "lifelike" and a little bit sharper.

Last edited:
if you went with premier (as noted in your 1st post) you should be OK then....just do a favorites and click "add channels I get" then you can go through and remove the PPV channels and whatever else suits your needs (since you get the sports pack with premier)

Well I am thinking about switching too. Can an external USB hard drive be added to Genie to expand storage capacity? Can I watch live TV over the Internet with Genie?

Can an external USB hard drive be added to Genie to expand storage capacity?
replaces internal drive and if the Genie craps out you lose everything on that drive (its assigned to that receiver not the account)

I could've went with the ethernet cable but I didn't want to run it through the whole room so I'd figure it wasn't worth the trouble. Besides, if I wanted to watch Youtube, that's what my computer is for.;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts