Well my 18 month old Genie gave up on me tonight

Status
Please reply by conversation.

directv newb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
columbus, oh.
All of a sudden my screen froze and I figured I would just change the channel and be back in business, but no response at all. I did a red button re-set and it did a ton of scanning that I won't get into but it kept saying critical error on storage device. I unplugged for 5 minutes and tried again but it was doing the same thing and I knew the HD was gone. I paid the $20.00 and they are shipping me out a new one. It is a sickening feeling losing all your damn shows, my channels, my settings, the whole thing leaves you feeling sick and distraught. The one silver lining is that I opted for the H24 not a client so I can go and sit in my office and watch t.v. that makes me happy. I am NOT complaining just whining :)

so, is it a hdd failure? if yes, are we better off using a quality external hdd that may last 3-5 years?

The internal hard drives are even better than most external hard drives, designed for AV/DVR purposes. Most off-the-shelf externals are designed for PC use, up to 8 hours a day or so. The DVR drives are designed to run 24/7.

That said, neither have perfect reliability and can fail - they are in fact moving parts.

Look at it this way, rather than go over which is better, even if you were correct, the EHD gets used far far less than the HD in the DVR. So the DVR HD is more apt to fail. I'll trust events I really want to an EHD long before the internal HD of a DVR.

Look at it this way, rather than go over which is better, even if you were correct, the EHD gets used far far less than the HD in the DVR. So the DVR HD is more apt to fail. I'll trust events I really want to an EHD long before the internal HD of a DVR.

How is the Internal gets used more than the External ?
IF you have a EHD hooked up , it replaces the Internal and is used instead of the internal.

They don't work at the same time, it's one or the other.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts