Went to Fry's today for the first time

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
Oh sweet nirvana this place is awesome, I dont know if they're all like this one but it was BB, game stop, borders, jittery joes, a mom and pop comp shop, and an actual electronics supply store all rolled into one. I just wish I lived closer as this one is 40 miles away:confused:

Yep, that's Fry's. I've been to Fry's in SoCal, NorCal and Texas, and they're all the same. You forgot about the large and small appliances, audio, video, phone, and a coffee shop! It's my favorite place to shop for motherboards, hard drives and cases. And I bought a vacuum cleaner there last year.

They also have the best prices of any actual store (not on the internet) for HD-DVD's and Blu-Ray's... It's a great place for sure...

I think the only theme I saw was giant granit balls and granit pillars. Prices seemed to be average or above on some of the comp stuff though I only have online stores to go by as there is only one mom and pop here and they dont put prices on anything.

The one in Plano has a deli/smoothie shop inside it as well. Kinda pricey though.

you know A store is big when they got 100 checkout registers & a Couple of huge as Vaults ! the only thing I don't like is there outdated website ( no instore pickup , will not match price from there on store ) I believe when these options are out , its gonna put the hurt on BB , CC , etc in the surrounding areas. Oh by the way Check there weekend ads for best prices!:)

ToysRus doesnt match its online add's but heres the trick, sweet talk the cashier and they will, I saved $10 on my daughters doll house that she told santa she wanted.

Price matching to the company website is tricky, it depends on how the company has the stores set up within its business structure. For instance Walmart has its stores seperate from its warehouse / distribution centers and from its website, the warehouse sells to each store on a daily basis several times a day and the same goes for the website. Prices and content vary between stores besides the applicable sales tax and there are other reasons for the price diference for online prices as opposed to instore such as manpower but Im not up on all of it yet.

I'll have another chance to go to Fry's in a few weeks when I go for my last test with bellsouth, I'll also be stopping off to see Williams street so I'll have my camera for that and to take a picture of this crazy dish mount I saw on a townhouse.

Fry's is dangerous.....

to my wallet :)

LER

Fry's wasn't so bad on my wallet since it was about 25 miles away. This year they built a huge new one about 2 miles from my house. With them running sales ads 5 days a week, I find myself there WAY too often...

I wish we had them here in Florida, especially with CompUSA being shut down.

I hate Best Buy for computers and televisions. They are overpriced and they know it. I bought my last two HD TVs and my last five or six computers at CompUSA. They were awesome.

Best Buy on the other hand is good for DVDs and video games. Basically, things where the price is generally the same anywhere, such as a new release DVD for $16.99 or new Xbox 360 game for $59.99. They have the selection. On the other hand, I recently paid $24.99 at Target for the Simpsons Movie on Bluray where Best Buy had it at $29.99 for the first week (when it should be cheaper). Best Buy is getting VERY greedy.

I wish Frys would come here to FL.

Odd that compusa would be cheaper in florida than BB considering that they are the most expensive computer retailer I've ever come across. It would be nice if they had one here in Athens but there just isnt enough people to justify it unless BB, CC, Staples, Office whatever closed. I know of two mom and pop comp shops and one of them is set up in a storage shed behind a grocery store outside of town.

Odd that compusa would be cheaper in florida than BB considering that they are the most expensive computer retailer I've ever come across. It would be nice if they had one here in Athens but there just isnt enough people to justify it unless BB, CC, Staples, Office whatever closed. I know of two mom and pop comp shops and one of them is set up in a storage shed behind a grocery store outside of town.

I own a computer service business dealing with business and residential customers here in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. For my businesses, I generally hook my customers up with a vendor like CDW, but for residential customers, I assist them in buying locally. I don't sell new computers because it isn't profitable enough. I make my money off service and upgrades.

Best Buy is one of the worst places to buy a computer as far as competitive pricing is concerned. Office Depot is good for laptops, but their stock is limited. CompUSA has always had a good in store selection and excellent pricing. You really have to know what you are looking for though. Take it from a professional in the computer service industry (me), Best Buy is priced high. Now that CompUSA has closed I will probably recommend people order online. Best Buy is fine to go touch and feel a system, but I guarantee after a person finds a system they want, they can find the same system (or at least the same specs) online for less than Best Buy demands.

As far as my HDTVs, I have always shopped it out and watched the sales. I am not saying I just walked into CompUSA and bought the TVs. I researched them and ended up getting them both at CompUSA (several months apart). Most recently for example I had purchased an Olevia 32" set at CompUSA to replace an aging fist gen HDTV that I bought years back at Sears. The Olevia unit was $500. I have yet to see it anywhere else for less than $600 in a brick and mortar shop. It is a beautiful set. My other unit is a Sony 46" 3LCD HDTV that I paid $1300 for at CompUSA. I've never seen the model so cheap, even at the online outlets. Best Buy had comparable models for around $1700 or higher.

Don't get me wrong. I am not a Best Buy hater. I spend thousands a year there on DVDs and video games, stereo equipment and other goods at BB. I am just saying that they are not good for buying TVs or computers. I wish there was a Frys locally to at least compare. For all I know they may be higher than BB. But again, my options are getting more and more limited with the closing of CompUSA.

Come to Florida Frys. The nearest one I have seen was in the Atlanta area.

would you like Fry's with that?

I live within striking distance (10..15 mi?) of four Fry's stores, and regularly visit three of them.
They do generate a bit of pressure on local prices, and help keep costs down.

I don't love nor hate any of the chains.
I buy mostly when I need something, and then I search for a deal on it.
Sometimes that'll be Fry's. Sometimes it won't.

I only buy Fry's or Staples (?) house-brand DVDs, when they are down around a nickel each (and I've gotten hundreds at those prices).

Local computer fairs (swap meets) often have better prices on blank DVDs and ink cartridges.
I pay around $25 per 100 for white/silver ProDisc printable. They are my preferred brand.
People have a thing for certain brands, and they're all at good prices, too.
For ink, the more common laser toner cartridges go for $25 and a full set of 5 inks for Epson go for about $20.
Most of the retail stores make a lot of profit on ink and toner, and are not willing to give up that margin.
Last Saturday @ Pomona show, I got two new 500gb SATA II WD drives with 16mb cache, for $85ea.
That would match a super-deal at Fry's. But they don't come along that often.
On the other hand, some of the CPU+board prices at Fry's , are below what you can get the chip for elsewhere!

One other retail store no one has mentioned is: MicroCenter.
If you have one nearby, give it a look.
A deal is a deal, even if some of their other prices are a bit high.
(Syntax 542i 42" LCD hi def TV last year this time, for $800 after $200 rebate)

For on-line shopping comparison, you can't go wrong with NewEgg and MonoPrice (cables, etc) .

I live 2 miles from a Fry's and spend more time and $$$ than I should at Fry's. You can get great deals on sales items.

But do read boxes carefully, some items are refurbished/rebuilt/reconditioned. There are people who say these are good deals because they are checked-out better than the ones off the production line. Up to you.

Frys is a great place. I wish I had one close by. Instead I order online. Great prices in general, especially if you take advantage of their specials. No complaints from me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts