West Versions of Channels?

ComcastOgre

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 31, 2004
Saint Marys, Ohio
Hey everybody. I have noticed that a few more west feeds of basic channels have come on Dish Network. I think Cartoon Network West is awesome because Adult Swim will be available when I get home from work on that one, and there are funny shows there. LOL. I don't really see the point in Ion TV West at all though, unless it was required to get Ion TV HD and the upcoming Qubo HD / Ion Life HD. Either way, it had me thinking about several other channels that would be GREAT to have a west feed of. I know most hate the idea of wasting space with west feeds since we have DVRs and other more unique content to add.

There are, however, probably a LOT of people out there who wouldn't mind getting 1 or 2 west feeds of some other channels that are very heavily watched. I just thought we could create a thread of what other west feeds some people may want and why that would be a good addition. I am sure that Dish Network visits both satellite forum sites, so hopefully they see this and respond should any west feeds of channels be really popular. I have excluded some west feeds of networks listed below because they aren't available according to any sources I found. If you don't like ANY west coast feeds, you are welcome to post that too. Just be civil.

A&E Networks (A&E, History Channel)
BBC America
Comcast Networks (E! TV, G4, Golf Channel, Style, Versus)
Discovery Networks (Animal Planet, Discovery Channel, Discovery Health, TLC, Travel Channel)
FX
GSN
Hallmark Channel
Lifetime Networks (Lifetime, Lifetime Movie Network)
NBC Universal Networks (Bravo, Mun2, Oxygen, SyFy, USA Network)
Rainbow Networks (AMC, Sundance Channel, Women's Entertainment)
Scripps Networks (Food Network, Great American Country, HGTV)
Tru TV
Turner Networks (CNN, HLN, TBS, TCM, TNT)
Viacom Networks (BET, CMT, Comedy Central, Logo, MTV, MTV 2, Spike TV, TV Land, VH1, VH1 Classic)
Walt Disney Networks (ABC Family, Disney XD, SoapNet)

If you don't like ANY west coast feeds, you are welcome to post that too. Just be civil.

That's me. To me, it's a waste of bandwidth. As I have said before, if you in the west, Dish should just get you a free DVR.

Persoanlly, I wish programming here in the east would start 3 hours earlier.

I don't really see the point in Ion TV West at all though,

Theoretically, ION West SAVES bandwidth. There are a number of "local" channels that map to either Ion East or Ion West. The idea is, someone can tune into KPPX in one city and the receiver tunes into the same stream as someone in another city tuning into KPXB.

At one point, DISH was forced to carry multiple feeds of a few different "local" network channels, even though there was no local programming on them. I know Daystar was one of them. Eventually, they made a deal to drop the "local" feeds and offer Daystar as a national channel.

That's me. To me, it's a waste of bandwidth. As I have said before, if you in the west, Dish should just get you a free DVR.

Persoanlly, I wish programming here in the east would start 3 hours earlier.
Totally agree. One thing I prefer about satellite over cable is the fact that I do not have to wait until a late time to see a particular show. For example I can watch South Park at 7pm here instead of 10pm (like I would with cable). Adding another channel that simply delays the transmission of the original broadcast by 3 hours is a waste of bandwidth. If I cannot watch something because it starts too early, then all I have to do is record it.

In a Charlie Chat many years ago, this question was asked. Charlie's response was twofold.

First, it would double the bandwidth required for the channel.

Second, many folks on the west coast tend to run an earlier personal schedule than folks on the east coast anyway. Therefore, they appreciate not having to wait until late for their shows. (This was before DVRs were common).

It certainly seems to me that the "early risers" theory is at least partly correct. You'd be amazed at the traffic at 5am around here.