What a joke Urban Meyer is!

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
This is why they hate Urban Meyer so much!! One of his star players is CLEARLY seen gouging some guys eyes for almost 15 seconds....and he suspends him for HALF A GAME??!!!

Top-ranked Florida will be without linebacker Brandon Spikes for the first half of Saturday's game against Vanderbilt.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coach Urban Meyer suspended Spikes on Monday, two days after the defensive captain apparently attempted to gouge the eyes of Georgia running back Washaun Ealey in the Gators' 41-17 victory.

"I don't condone that," Meyer said. "I understand what goes on on the football (field), but there's no place for that. ... I spoke with him. That's not who he is."

Brandon Spikes, a cousin of 49ers linebacker Takeo Spikes, issued a statement apologizing for what he did.

Meyer's wife, Shelley, mentioned Spikes' actions to him Sunday night, then defensive coordinator Charlie Strong did the same Monday morning. Meyer's said his first reaction was to move on. Then he saw a replay of the incident, which shows Spikes shoving his glove-covered right hand into Ealey's facemask and moving it back and forth.

FOOTBALL / Gators' Spikes out a half for eye-gouging incident

This is why they hate Urban Meyer so much!! One of his star players is CLEARLY seen gouging some guys eyes for almost 15 seconds....and he suspends him for HALF A GAME??!!!

Top-ranked Florida will be without linebacker Brandon Spikes for the first half of Saturday's game against Vanderbilt.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coach Urban Meyer suspended Spikes on Monday, two days after the defensive captain apparently attempted to gouge the eyes of Georgia running back Washaun Ealey in the Gators' 41-17 victory.

"I don't condone that," Meyer said. "I understand what goes on on the football (field), but there's no place for that. ... I spoke with him. That's not who he is."

Brandon Spikes, a cousin of 49ers linebacker Takeo Spikes, issued a statement apologizing for what he did.

Meyer's wife, Shelley, mentioned Spikes' actions to him Sunday night, then defensive coordinator Charlie Strong did the same Monday morning. Meyer's said his first reaction was to move on. Then he saw a replay of the incident, which shows Spikes shoving his glove-covered right hand into Ealey's facemask and moving it back and forth.

FOOTBALL / Gators' Spikes out a half for eye-gouging incident

Did you watch the whole game? Or are you doing what you accuse others of doing with the Raiders? Jumping to conclusions on what you saw in a highlight on youtube or BSPN.

I agree.

The eye gouging by Spikes was on par with the punch Oregon's LeGarrette Blount threw and he got suspended for an entire year!

For Meyer to practically excuse this behavior (which by giving the kid a 1/2 game suspension, he is basically doing), is a complete joke!

Did you watch the whole game? Or are you doing what you accuse others of doing with the Raiders? Jumping to conclusions on what you saw in a highlight on youtube or BSPN.

Oh come on. You can't defend eye gouging. What Spikes did was wrong and there's no excuse for it.

Meyer did this on his own accord. I do think it should of been a full game suspension. At the minimum. I mean Meyer obviously is not worried about winning against vanderbilt, so suspending him from the whole game against vandy would not be that big of a deal. Perhaps its the fact that Spikes has been a clean player all the years he has been on FLA and on one day let emotions of the game get ahold of him and made a mistake. I could agree if spikes had some kind of history he deserves a whole year suspension but the guy has been a clean player since he came to FLA.

The way GA was treating him all game certainly pushed him to the limits and I think the coach did right by acting and suspending him and getting on him for it. Even if the NCAA is not going to do anything.

To claim that Meyer is not suspending him the whole game because they want to win is ridiculous. Its freaking VANDERBILT.

Heres what the guy who spikes was messing with had to say

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4619952"]Georgia running back Washaun Ealey says Florida linebacker Brandon Spikes shouldn't be suspended - ESPN[/ame]

he should be suspended to protect future players. he has pretty much scared all of his future opponents with this. the fact blount gets a season and he gets 1 half is ridiculous. good thing urban meyer isn't the coach of my team

when i heard this yesterday i busted out laughing. i've never heard of a suspension for half a game :rolleyes:. spikes is clearly poking the eyes of the opponent for more than just a few seconds. at least a one game suspension would've been something.

Last edited:
Maybe Spikes himself has the right idea: Wear an eye shield.

2m47v5v.jpg

I agree.

The eye gouging by Spikes was on par with the punch Oregon's LeGarrette Blount threw and he got suspended for an entire year!

For Meyer to practically excuse this behavior (which by giving the kid a 1/2 game suspension, he is basically doing), is a complete joke!
LeGarrette Blount Will be back before the year is over! Heck he is coming back this month!

I would think that this would have come from the university Pres., not Urban.
Does the Pres feel all is well with that kind of behavior ?
I would also think that the SEC would be looking into it as well.

is this any different than what Michael Vick did when he was caught on tv stomping an opponents hand? IF I am not mistaken, didn't VaTech kick him off the team for that incident?

Unfortunately Richt isn't any better himself. Richt a couple weeks ago suspended a player (busted speeding without a valid license) from the Tennessee Tech game that followed the Florida game, instead of the upcoming Florida game itself.

The former Criminoles assistant is presiding over the most penalized team in Georgia history. Even Ealey admitted that they were doing the same thing in the game.

He should have been suspended for at the very least a game.