What about purchased receivers??

MarcelV said:
Ilya, in that case, don't they have to grant service requests in case the box goes dead?
I would think so. Within the warrantee period at least.

jnardone said:
from a previous thread: "I remember a company called VideoGuide, sold a box in 1994 that read program guide data and news over the Pager network, kind of cool. When they shut down 2 years into their sales, they were required to buy the boxes back at full list because the box was only good for their services, so they had, in essence, sold a doorstop as a valid electrical device.
"

They were not required to do that by any court... they did it voluntarily because "it was the right thing to do."

No opinion here as to whether they would have been required to, had someone sued them, but there wasn't any actual litigation over that issue.

The warantee would be a good reason to get the boxes back to limit future liability. As long as the company ALLOWS boxes to remain out there and active they leave themselves open to the liability of repairs. Cablevision wants to close the books on RainbowDBS/Voom. Leaving liabilities out there doesn't close the books.

I suspect there will be an offer for those who purchased receivers to 'buy out' Cablevision's commitment to those owners - and a total recall of leased boxes. If anyone fails to return the box they would do it knowing that there is no more warantee.

JL

I'm a voom employee loosing my job on Saturday. Didn't think this would happen. How can a company you love lay you off? Just isn't right.

There should be some sort of downloadable firmware upgrade in case of accidental reset i see the voom box has the connections, this wouldn't be hacking so don't even start :) .If motorola wont release it I hope someone out there can get one to work.

smeagal said:
There should be some sort of downloadable firmware upgrade in case of accidental reset i see the voom box has the connections, this wouldn't be hacking so don't even start :) .If motorola wont release it I hope someone out there can get one to work.
No point. Not enough market for a hack.

JL

Shouldn't need a hack just a way to change the software back after a hard reset, voom should provide this to people who bought recievers the rest of us could borrow it. :)

smeagal said:
Shouldn't need a hack just a way to change the software back after a hard reset, voom should provide this to people who bought recievers the rest of us could borrow it. :)
Just disconnect from dish on the 30th the only signal would com terrestially. No kill signals there. Here is a little experiment; remove your card and see if you get local channels.

Or if you got the receiver on the "free plan" they could charge your credit card $00 when they close down. (Sounds like James Dolan, doesn't it?) I will call master card and inquire.

Called yesterday, no change in the company line. They have no idea what they are going to do about the receivers, they are very sorry, etc;

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts