What Are DirecTV's Standard Proceedures for Non-Prewired (For Satellite) Apartments?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TheTechGuru

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
Texas
Use the cable lines?

Here are my ideas, management has given permission to put the dish anywhere necessary.

e13hjb.jpg

I'm gonna say, picture 2 won't work...
Cannot go from the D* Dish thru Cable box into Splitter.

SWM won't work with that D11 you have marked on the pic. I would use screw clips and go along the walls with 1 flat cable coming in and having the D11 swapped for a D12

SWM won't work with that D11 you have marked on the pic. I would use screw clips and go along the walls with 1 flat cable coming in and having the D11 swapped for a D12

It may be a D12, it's black and on SWM at present location.

Edit:

Just checked: Model: D12-500

Will they charge to change receivers when moving? I'd like to just have all H24's.

Last edited:
I'm gonna say, picture 2 won't work...
Cannot go from the D* Dish thru Cable box into Splitter.

Says who? Cable box should be owned by the apartment complex and not time warner. Problem is if time warner has everyone locked out.

Says who? Cable box should be owned by the apartment complex and not time warner. Problem is if time warner has everyone locked out.

No, I was looking at it differently.

I don't believe you can run the signal thru the TW box before the dish is what I was saying.

How will the TW box respond when it's getting more voltage thru it than it's suppose to be getting.
The SWM PI is at least 21v running that thru the TW box may do damage to it also, the TW may not let the D signal go thru it without altering it.

No, I was looking at it differently.

I don't believe you can run the signal thru the TW box before the dish is what I was saying.

How will the TW box respond when it's getting more voltage thru it than it's suppose to be getting.
The SWM PI is at least 21v running that thru the TW box may do damage to it also, the TW may not let the D signal go thru it without altering it.

The "TW Box" I am reffering to is the junction box with the cable distribution to the entire apartment building. Take the wire or wires going to the particular apartment and connect them to the SWM instead of TW's cable tap.

I have not been able to look at it, I don't know if there is a run from every outlet in every apartment to the TW box or just one run from every apartment and the splitters are in each apartment somewhere.

The "TW Box" I am reffering to is the junction box with the cable distribution to the entire apartment building. Take the wire or wires going to the particular apartment and connect them to the SWM instead of TW's cable tap.

I have not been able to look at it, I don't know if there is a run from every outlet in every apartment to the TW box or just one run from every apartment and the splitters are in each apartment somewhere.

Oh, OK ...
From looking at the drawing, it looked like you were going thru the box, not disconnecting it from there.
Bypassing the TW box if possible, yes, should work.

The enclosure is owned by the cable company. No unauthorized person may enter the box.
If it's not locked and anyone runs a coax into the box, rest a assured the next cable tech will cut the intruding coax and replace the lock.
I've had it done to me on installs. I'm with you. The box should be under control of the apartment complex, but unfortunately, they are not. Sucks.

The enclosure is owned by the cable company. No unauthorized person may enter the box.
If it's not locked and anyone runs a coax into the box, rest a assured the next cable tech will cut the intruding coax and replace the lock.
I've had it done to me on installs. I'm with you. The box should be under control of the apartment complex, but unfortunately, they are not. Sucks.

Sounds like the best option is to drill 3 holes in the building wiring it from scratch which is probably fine BUT I'm worried about the installer possibly being anal about proper grounding as the electrical is possibly on the other side of the building. Won't a 3 foot ground rod work???

If we're able to choose, what would be better, a private (sub) contractor or Mastec?

Sounds like the best option is to drill 3 holes in the building wiring it from scratch which is probably fine BUT I'm worried about the installer possibly being anal about proper grounding as the electrical is possibly on the other side of the building. Won't a 3 foot ground rod work???

If we're able to choose, what would be better, a private (sub) contractor or Mastec?

You would have more leway and possibly get it done sooner using a Local contractor, keep in mind if you use the Local guy, you may have to pay for the install, while your covered thru Mastic.

Private sub for sure. Getting an HSP tech to drill through an apartment complex is gonna be pretty tough even with permission from the management of the complex, getting his supervision to allow it will be difficult. As for swapping the D12 for a HD, call and ask, you may get a sweet deal

sorry but you're wrong to a point.
Here at out apartment complex there are 2 enclosures on the walls that clearly say "COMCAST". Inside there are cables with the apartment numbers on the cable. We have one cable that runs from those boxes to the apartment. Inside the box is a bunch of cable taps. There is also about 40 lines from the SWM32's that Directv has set up. (since we now get D* free with rent...use to be comcast until they changed everything to digital so they dropped it last summer)

If a tenant wants the free D*, they hook one of the lines from the SWM32's to the cable with the correct apartment number on it
If a tenant wants both satellite and cable (well cable internet) they hook up a diplexer downstairs. One end to the cable tap. The other to the satellite line
And for some reason there are some apartments that just want cable or internet only so they are hooked directly to the tap

So it is possible depending on the apartment complex that box may not be "off limits"

sorry but you're wrong to a point.
Here at out apartment complex there are 2 enclosures on the walls that clearly say "COMCAST". Inside there are cables with the apartment numbers on the cable. We have one cable that runs from those boxes to the apartment. Inside the box is a bunch of cable taps. There is also about 40 lines from the SWM32's that Directv has set up. (since we now get D* free with rent...use to be comcast until they changed everything to digital so they dropped it last summer)

If a tenant wants the free D*, they hook one of the lines from the SWM32's to the cable with the correct apartment number on it
If a tenant wants both satellite and cable (well cable internet) they hook up a diplexer downstairs. One end to the cable tap. The other to the satellite line
And for some reason there are some apartments that just want cable or internet only so they are hooked directly to the tap

So it is possible depending on the apartment complex that box may not be "off limits"

It's gonna be off limits. Residential techs are not allowed in the cabinets. Only cable and MDU techs have keys to them. If its done right and professionally then there isn't a way to get in there. As for your apartment, it's a rarity to have both taps live still. The newer MDU's have Directv cabinets in them. They sit it right next to the comcrap or whoevers cabinet it is. I'd say the OP's best bet is a flat cable straight in then an entire bag of screw clips around the walls. Looks better then cable just laying around and the God forsaken duct taped cable

It's gonna be off limits. Residential techs are not allowed in the cabinets. Only cable and MDU techs have keys to them. If its done right and professionally then there isn't a way to get in there.
funny as the one is shut with a coax cable and the other is wide open. How else could I be switching cables down there before I moved my account over to this address ;)

As for your apartment, it's a rarity to have both taps live still. The newer MDU's have Directv cabinets in them. They sit it right next to the comcrap or whoevers cabinet it is.
we have them too. There are cabinets that are locked (Directv ones) but the cables come out and over to the Comcrap box where they tap into the existing cable to the apartments

It's gonna be off limits. Residential techs are not allowed in the cabinets. Only cable and MDU techs have keys to them. If its done right and professionally then there isn't a way to get in there. As for your apartment, it's a rarity to have both taps live still. The newer MDU's have Directv cabinets in them. They sit it right next to the comcrap or whoevers cabinet it is. I'd say the OP's best bet is a flat cable straight in then an entire bag of screw clips around the walls. Looks better then cable just laying around and the God forsaken duct taped cable

Could do just the living room with a flat cable though a window, but the two bedrooms too? Don't think so. Would have to try just backfeeding it though the existing coax system like I have in the first pic. Just need to get TW to install a terminator on the end in the cable box and it should be ok.

funny as the one is shut with a coax cable and the other is wide open. How else could I be switching cables down there before I moved my account over to this address ;)

we have them too. There are cabinets that are locked (Directv ones) but the cables come out and over to the Comcrap box where they tap into the existing cable to the apartments

Don't sound like it was a professional install to me. Them are required to be locked at all times

Don't sound like it was a professional install to me. Them are required to be locked at all times

I think areas where the cable co have gone totally digital QAM and encrypt everything don't care as much about keeping boxes locked. If someone want to hook themselves up it's not like there is anything on the line they can steal like back when cable was analog.

I think he's mentioned before that it's a 3rd party that its paid thru ...
Does this mean it was set up by a local company (probably) instead of D*, quite possible.
They would have to have access to the box as well.

I think areas where the cable co have gone totally digital QAM and encrypt everything don't care as much about keeping boxes locked. If someone want to hook themselves up it's not like there is anything on the line they can steal like back when cable was analog.

True...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)