What Are DirecTV's Standard Proceedures for Non-Prewired (For Satellite) Apartments?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
another solution would be to wait. the hr44 will be out soon, and it is supposed to be wireless. just one cable in from the dish and thats it. more details are going to be released at their dealer convention next month.

And the Lord sayeth connect thyselves component to component using the cable and fitting provided unto you. Walk ye not in the path of the wifi geeks for your signals could confuse the sender and the receiver (IRD).

Thus endeth the lesson!

:coffee
Joe

Last edited:
i am totally against wireless anything except remote controls and phones, but sometimes you have no choice. i have dual coaxes and three cat5 cables to each room in my house... and most are being used!
:D

There are three blocking terminators commonly used in the markets I service. The most common is the Gilbert which has been alluded to above and is removed with an inexpensive tool that has two spring-loaded tabs. The next most common are the stubby gold ones with knurled bodies. This tool removes them:

LTF.jpg

http://www.vartanproducts.com/servlet/the-46/LTF-fdsh-LRC-Locking-Terminator/Detail

The third most common, which are no longer being installed here but which linger, are the ones with long, hexagonal bodies that require a more expensive tool to remove. They have a cam tip that is on an eccentric shaft, and, as explained in post #38 above, one twists the handle to tighten it for removal.

It is the one referred to as a a cam tool...........couldn't get any pics to copy...

23Z378_AS01

Here is that cam tool on ebay for $22.50 including shipping. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NS6270-1-GI...D-TOOL-CABLE-TV-ACCESS-FREE-/160981283749?pt=

Many cable technicians stick those security blocks on satellite TV ports of distribution components that are not in any way connected to the cable distribution, just to be nuisances, which is why I always carry all three removal tools.

There was another old security sleeve that is incompatible with the industry standard sleeve removal tool that I came across when servicing some really old PPV boxes in Baltimore that have been installed by Hotel Movie Network of Mesa, Arizona. Fortunately, they only put them on the guest boxes, which had become obsolete, so I would just cit the coax and install a new F connector. I eventually found the removal tool online, but never bought one because I was sure I'd never need it.

Last edited:
Are Most DTV installers able to unlock the typical cable box lock on an apartment building? (given that it's owned by the complex, etc. etc. etc.)

Are Most DTV installers able to unlock the typical cable box lock on an apartment building? (given that it's owned by the complex, etc. etc. etc.)

The techs who also worked CATV (cable TV) have all the tools. There is also an assortment of keys that can be purchased EZ. All this stuff is just to keep customers from damaging the system. As a generalization material attached to a building become the property of the building owner. I have been given permission to just wreck out the vault / ped because the cable company had been kicked off site. In cases where there is a contractual relationship between the cable company and the building owner those boxes are controlled by them and Directv guys should stay out. Often sat techs just want access to the cable to avoid drilling walls......but there is still the issue of where to put the dish............so it takes further negotiation.

+ AntAltMike got the correct pics to print...cool! & thanks.

Joe

Sounds like the best option is to drill 3 holes in the building wiring it from scratch which is probably fine BUT I'm worried about the installer possibly being anal about proper grounding as the electrical is possibly on the other side of the building. Won't a 3 foot ground rod work???

If we're able to choose, what would be better, a private (sub) contractor or Mastec?
Go with a private installer. They will not be concerned with grounding rules and other stuff.
FYI, most apartment installs are NOT grounded.

sorry but you're wrong to a point.
Here at out apartment complex there are 2 enclosures on the walls that clearly say "COMCAST". Inside there are cables with the apartment numbers on the cable. We have one cable that runs from those boxes to the apartment. Inside the box is a bunch of cable taps. There is also about 40 lines from the SWM32's that Directv has set up. (since we now get D* free with rent...use to be comcast until they changed everything to digital so they dropped it last summer)

If a tenant wants the free D*, they hook one of the lines from the SWM32's to the cable with the correct apartment number on it
If a tenant wants both satellite and cable (well cable internet) they hook up a diplexer downstairs. One end to the cable tap. The other to the satellite line
And for some reason there are some apartments that just want cable or internet only so they are hooked directly to the tap

So it is possible depending on the apartment complex that box may not be "off limits"
I was posting in the narrow context of the typical cable tv set up found at most apartment complexes. That would be exclusive of other arrangements.
Hope that clears up things.

i install many home theater systems as well as whole house audio along with directv. whenever a customer wants wireless streaming i hook it up and there are always issues. i end up going back to hard wire. i think i may still have a bitter taste in my mouth from the wireless devices in the 90's as well. :D

i install many home theater systems as well as whole house audio along with directv. whenever a customer wants wireless streaming i hook it up and there are always issues. i end up going back to hard wire. i think i may still have a bitter taste in my mouth from the wireless devices in the 90's as well. :D

Back when interference with wireless devices was analog, we could see or hear it. We could hear the pilots talking to the tower, or the Pizza delivery dispatcher, or see the double video image being broadcast by a neighbor who had improperly coupled his cable TV with his off-air antenna, but with digital interference, we can't readily identify it. I have spectrum analyzers with CRT displays that have faster response display times than do any more modern spectrum analyzers I have seen that enable me to sometimes find interfering carriers, but even then, I would have to know the exact frequencies of the wireless devices I was servicing and would have to have frequency selection capability to be able to do something about it.

A few years ago, I was contacted by a Glory Days sportsbar that uses wireless speakers at each table so the customer can select audio to match the TV they are watching. Their system was experiencing audio interference on over half of their channels that was severe enough to render them unusable. I wandered around the area and found offending signals and then worked with the manufacturer of the wireless system to write a "channel plan" that got them enough channels to use.

But even this story doesn't have the happiest of endings, however, The manufacturer had sent me about three dozen custom frequency allocation ROMs to insert in their tabletop receivers, but didn't put labels on them, so they were indistinguishable from the standard ROMS, and as those receivers were returned for service, and then after the local franchise closed and sent back the rest, they all got mixed in with others and caused nightmares for anyone other customer who received one as a replacement.

Last edited:
Back when interference with wireless devices was analog, we could see or hear it. We could hear the pilots talking to the tower, or the Pizza delivery dispatcher, or see the double video image being broadcast by a neighbor who had improperly coupled his cable TV with his off-air antenna, but with digital interference, we can't readily identify it. I have spectrum analyzers with CRT displays that have faster response display times than do any more modern spectrum analyzers I have seen that enable me to sometimes find interfering carriers, but even then, I would have to know the exact frequencies of the wireless devices I was servicing and would have to have frequency selection capability to be able to do something about it.

A few years ago, I was contacted by a Glory Days sportsbar that uses wireless speakers at each table so the customer can select audio to match the TV they are watching. Their system was experiencing audio interference on over half of their channels that was severe enough to render them unusable. I wandered around the area and found offending signals and then worked with the manufacturer of the wireless system to write a "channel plan" that got them enough channels to use.

But even this story doesn't have the happiest of endings, however, The manufacturer had sent me about three dozen custom frequency allocation ROMs to insert in their tabletop receivers, but didn't put labels on them, so they were indistinguishable from the standard ROMS, and as those receivers were returned for service, and then after the local franchise closed and sent back the rest, they all got mixed in with others and caused nightmares for anyone other customer who received one as a replacement.

rf issues can be a bear. luckily i dont have enough chronic issues to require a spectrum analyzer in the van as well!

Go with a private installer. They will not be concerned with grounding rules and other stuff.
FYI, most apartment installs are NOT grounded.

The thing I'm afraid of is a private installer won't have a big enough ladder. The installer will need to get on top of a 3rd story roof and use and install a chimney mount (can't install on ceramic roof shingles).

Only other option would be to put it on a pole on the ground.

The thing I'm afraid of is a private installer won't have a big enough ladder. The installer will need to get on top of a 3rd story roof and use and install a chimney mount (can't install on ceramic roof shingles).

Only other option would be to put it on a pole on the ground.

You can rent a 40' ladder if the private installer needs one but doesn't have one. But you better hope he knows how to use a 40' ladder. The trick is to put the base where the wall meets the ground and then walk it up and them walk the bottom away from the wall, and do the reverse to take it down.

The big advantage of the pole mount is that a technician will not need a 40' ladder to service the dish.

You can rent a 40' ladder if the private installer needs one but doesn't have one. But you better hope he knows how to use a 40' ladder. The trick is to put the base where the wall meets the ground and then walk it up and them walk the bottom away from the wall, and do the reverse to take it down.

The big advantage of the pole mount is that a technician will not need a 40' ladder to service the dish.

The forty foot ladder charge starts at $100.00. This should apply with any service call. AND you need two people to hump the thing around. Then there is the issue of how to attach the dish to the chimney. IF the tech has to leave the ladder to install a chimney strap & mount that adds to the consideration, assuming the chimney has a south exposure.

Think pole mount.

Joe

Ya, but I don't like the pole mount idea because what if some kids knock it out of alignment? Also, there is serious LOS issues with it at ground level and not in a location that is out in the open where people will complain.

I think I have come up with a place that might work as long as they have hammer drills and proper masonry anchors. I'm not even 100% sure that siding is masonry (have not been there), but the darker I know is brick.

xf6btv.jpg

Last edited:
Ya, but I don't like the pole mount idea because what if some kids knock it out of alignment?

I don't own a truck to haul any rental equipment around, but if I were going to rent something, I'd rent a boom lift.
Seen that,
IF there is truck access (paved) you could get a cherry picker from a tree company or a cable install company to come do it. Finding one that will let a sat tech in the bucket could be tricky. From there on any dish service would require a truck expense and coordination with the tech again. Kids do break the arm off dishes and lawn mower guys do hit them. Repointing a pole mount is still way easier than the 40 ft idea.

Joe

Seen that,
IF there is truck access (paved) you could get a cherry picker from a tree company or a cable install company to come do it. Finding one that will let a sat tech in the bucket could be tricky. From there on any dish service would require a truck expense and coordination with the tech again. Kids do break the arm off dishes and lawn mower guys do hit them. Repointing a pole mount is still way easier than the 40 ft idea.

Joe

Well, what I posted above would only be 10-15 feet.

Thats MUCH better, also allows you to reasonable have access to it if needed.

That will do it........any chance there is an electric bond in the garage? You could even ground the rig. It does look like vinyl siding and not recommended but considering your choices...........molly bolts & some "shake" backer boards to protect the siding could work.

Do that one!

Joe

Last edited:
That will do it........any chance there is an electric bond in the garage? You could even ground the rig. It does look like vinyl siding and not recommended but considering your choices...........molly bolts & some "shake" backer boards to protect the siding could work.

Do that one!

Joe

Doubt it's vinyl, it's probably masonry.

The only issue now is will they drill though the brick walls to install outlets? If not, do they carry the flat adapters for windows on hand?

Installing clips to brick is going to be real fun for them.

BTW, this is all for a family member not myself, I'm in a brick house and rather than drill though brick I run everything though the attic and though the ceiling inside.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)