What Are DirecTV's Standard Proceedures for Non-Prewired (For Satellite) Apartments?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
In every condo I have lived in you don't own the roof. The only place the law allows you to install a dish is as stated previously is a balcony or patio.

The association may permit installations elsewhere but they aren't legally required to do do.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

In every condo I have lived in you don't own the roof. The only place the law allows you to install a dish is as stated previously is a balcony or patio.

The association may permit installations elsewhere but they aren't legally required to do do.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I concur. Generally speaking, in a condo, you own the inside and the association owns the outside.

Odd, been watching Holmes Inspection where he had to redo a roof a crappy contractor did, and it was a condo, he only did the one persons roof up to the firewalls to the neighbors on each side.

Regardless of who owns it, a contractor isn't going to fix more than what needs to be done. Maybe they do it different in Canada.

anyway...back on topic please.

Just got the fax, so here is the problem, they're using a GENERIC TAA (Texas Apartment Association) FORM. 99% of apartment complexes in Texas use TAA forms, and I sure as hell know for a fact that 99% of them DO NOT require that satellites only be installed within what OTARD forces. I have lived in apartments with the SAME GENERIC FORM and been allowed to have the dish on a wall about 5 feet from the ground at one and another it was on a pole. Most apartments I visit have them on poles if the siding is masonry of some sort.

So it looks like it all comes down to special permission needs to be obtained since they're using a generic form that forbids everything but what OTARD forces and special permission may have actually been given verbally, but as soon as DirecTV saw the generic form they ran.

oa2jb9.jpg

Notice it says it may not be connected to their electrical system except though a standard outlet. I guess this means grounding is not allowed.

Last edited:
I doubt they can prevent the dish from being properly grounded if they allow the dish at all, but that's beside the point. They have the right to only allow what OTARD says they must regardless of what other associations allow. You may be sol if there isn't an exclusive area that you have where you can get a los.

I'm not familiar with that law Joe. Can you explain?

Chip,

It is abbreviated OTARD (Over the Air Reception Device) rule. It is is a federal law that forbids Home Owner Associations (HOAs) from having rules on their books that limit where dishes under one meter can be placed. The lobby guys from the small dish sats got it in to prevent cable companies from having their way with installation rights. I'll see if I can find a link.

Here ya go: http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-reception-devices-rule

Anyhow, the other part of the rule is that apartment dwellers have fewer rights under the law because of their control over only their rented space.........

Joe

Last edited:
I'm quite familiar with OTARD Joe. You said it had to do with federal law forcing HOAs to allow dishes to be placed on common grounds. It's not. It's basically to allow dishes in areas that are exclusive to the customer. That's just about the opposite of what you said.

I'm quite familiar with OTARD Joe. You said it had to do with federal law forcing HOAs to allow dishes to be placed on common grounds. It's not. It's basically to allow dishes in areas that are exclusive to the customer. That's just about the opposite of what you said.

I'll dig in a little. My understanding is that since condo owners also own the common grounds they can use them for a pole & dish. Apartment folks do not control / rent the apartment grounds so the owners of that space can grant or deny use for dish rigs. There is also some language about not forcing dishes to be moved only for appearance considerations.

Joe

This is directly from the article you linked to:

Q: If I live in a condominium or an apartment building, does this rule apply to me?

A: The rule applies to antenna users who live in a multiple dwelling unit building, such as a condominium or apartment building, if the antenna user has an exclusive use area in which to install the antenna. "Exclusive use" means an area of the property that only you, and persons you permit, may enter and use to the exclusion of other residents. For example, your condominium or apartment may include a balcony, terrace, deck or patio that only you can use, and the rule applies to these areas. The rule does not apply to common areas, such as the roof, the hallways, the walkways or the exterior walls of a condominium or apartment building. Restrictions on antennas installed in these common areas are not covered by the Commission's rule. For example, the rule would not apply to restrictions that prevent drilling through the exterior wall of a condominium or rental unit and thus restrictions may prohibit installation that requires such drilling.

This is directly from the article you linked to:

Q: If I live in a condominium or an apartment building, does this rule apply to me?

A: The rule applies to antenna users who live in a multiple dwelling unit building, such as a condominium or apartment building, if the antenna user has an exclusive use area in which to install the antenna. "Exclusive use" means an area of the property that only you, and persons you permit, may enter and use to the exclusion of other residents. For example, your condominium or apartment may include a balcony, terrace, deck or patio that only you can use, and the rule applies to these areas. The rule does not apply to common areas, such as the roof, the hallways, the walkways or the exterior walls of a condominium or apartment building. Restrictions on antennas installed in these common areas are not covered by the Commission's rule. For example, the rule would not apply to restrictions that prevent drilling through the exterior wall of a condominium or rental unit and thus restrictions may prohibit installation that requires such drilling.

Cjip,
You da man!.......The concept I was looking for just is not there because things are as you show here. The "exclusive use" seems to control what is possible. The closest I came to my understanding of OTARD is a trailer park setting where the tennant leases a pad or lot. In that case they have exclusive use of some ground around the dwelling. My understanding ...just from installation experience..is that condo owners get the same sort of accomodation. While HOAs may well grant permission or publish a standard for installations they are not compelled to do so by OTARD.
For sure it looks like Guru is screwed. Apartment owners just don't want the dishes and cables. Guru might even get shut down by installation companies over the ground issue. He wants to put the dish near the electric meters and that is where the bond for the building electric is...but he is not allowed to ground there....so no grounded / bonded system.

"So it looks like it all comes down to special permission needs to be obtained since they're using a generic form that forbids everything but what OTARD forces and special permission may have actually been given verbally, but as soon as DirecTV saw the generic form they ran.".....his words.

I have installed dishes through windows where the mast is attached to a wood block in the unit. I have run sat lines into cable rooms to access CATV cable runs. Only with specific permission have I been able to do anything in apartment units; mostly on a balcony. Our guy needs either special permissiion or, as has been suggested above, get some MDU guy to rig a central dish into the cable room and use existing interior runs to wall plates.

Joe

Last edited:
Well, a corporate rep for the apartments is supposed to come out by the end of the week to survey possibilities.

Well, a corporate rep for the apartments is supposed to come out by the end of the week to survey possibilities.

Great,
Do let him know that one dish could serve the whole building using the existing cable already run to units. An MDU (multi [family] dwelling unit) contractor could do it. Directv could probably direct you to a company in your area.

Good luck,

Joe

Ok, DirecTV is scheduled to come out tomorrow, will any of CrapTec's policy's get in the way of the following plan?

2eeabv5.jpg

518oio.jpg

The non standard things are:

1. Pole mount.

2. Burred wire via spade in about 4-6 inches

3. Flat window adapter needed.

Ok, DirecTV is scheduled to come out tomorrow, will any of CrapTec's policy's get in the way of the following plan?

The non standard things are:

1. Pole mount.

2. Burred wire via spade in about 4-6 inches

3. Flat window adapter needed.

I think that they'll prolly require payment for that amount of buried cable but other than that I really don't see any issues unless the installer is just lazy. If it was me I'd do it but would either leave the cable if you agreed to bury it or charge to bury it. It only needs to be below the sod. 4-6 in sort of an overkill IMO. Just needs to be where the mower isn't going to cause havoc on it

I wouldn't leave it that shallow. It could eventually work it's way out. I'd go as deep as the shovel. Why not?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)