What are these dishes and What can I do with them?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Scottyw

Original poster
Sep 18, 2017
Lake Mary, FL
Until recently I hadn't paid too much attention to these on my roof. And I was just thinking of taking them down...but after posting to a FB group that I had these on my roof...I've received a couple of messages from people saying they are gold for cord cutters...I've spent the better part of the morning watching youtube vids and it seems that the only thing to do is to remove the what's at the end of the DirectTV dish and just basically use it as a mount for a new OTA antennae.
Now I know the other BIG one is called a BUD and I'm not sure if that's useful either....

Can someone point me in the right direction of what would be best practice and options for either of these?

Thanks
Not sure how to post images on this site...hope this works:

hQsU5

Until recently I hadn't paid too much attention to these on my roof. And I was just thinking of taking them down...but after posting to a FB group that I had these on my roof...I've received a couple of messages from people saying they are gold for cord cutters...I've spent the better part of the morning watching youtube vids and it seems that the only thing to do is to remove the what's at the end of the DirectTV dish and just basically use it as a mount for a new OTA antennae.
Now I know the other BIG one is called a BUD and I'm not sure if that's useful either....

Can someone point me in the right direction of what would be best practice and options for either of these?

Thanks

hQsU5

You need to have 5 posts minimum, before the forum will allow you to post images or attachments. Just reply to yourself in this thread, until you have them, then upload the pics.

Thanks

hQsU5
Help me

Thanks

hQsU5

Thanks

hQsU5
Pictures

Thanks

hQsU5
B4UAW

Thanks

hQsU5
B4UAW

Thanks

hQsU5
Maybe...
B4UAW

Thanks

hQsU5
Testing...
B4UAW

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 12.47.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 12.47.25 PM.png
    188.6 KB · Views: 234
Testing...
B4UAW

Oh, there's a size limits on uploads. Though I'm not positive what the largest size is.

Ok, the DirecTv dish. You can remove the reflector, and mount an over the air antenna to the J mount. Connect the old coax to the new antenna. Also, you'll need to follow the coax all the way to your tv set, and REMOVE any switches and jumper with barrel connectors IF you have any switches inline. IF the coax basically goes all the way to your tv by itself, you are all set.

The C-band dish: provided that pole is actually straight (hard to tell from that photo), you can replace the lnb's on the end with lnbf's, ($40~ or so, depending) and get a new digital satellite receiver, ($75~ to $200~ brand new depending) and hook that up to second input on your tv set.

Welcome to the site Scottyw! Yes, you finally hit that magic number you have to have 10 posts to post links and photos.

The C-Band dish is very usable. Well I guess I should say that in general they are. Can't see your enough to see if there are any problems.
Like Prime said you can change out the LNB/FeedHorn ass. on the front to a modern LNBF. The Titanium brand C1-PLL is a great choice.
You will also a need a modern receiver and a way to drive the dish. But yes, there are tons of free stuff out there, especially on C-Band.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)