What are you guys using for component switching?

quincy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 7, 2004
Now that i have Voom and the lack of a DVI input on my TV I ran out inputs and need more! I've heard that some boxes can't handle a high enough frequency to handle 1080i? and then there is picture degregation and etc.
I've been looking at this Audio Authority 1154 and I've heard good things about it, any suggestions?

That's what I'm using and I don't care for it, here's why:

It uses "adaptive learning" to figure out how you want to watch TV. Since I have 4 sources running into it, everytime I change a channel on a device I'm not watching, it will switch to it, thinking that I want to watch it. Also, my Dish 6000 always puts out a signal so it senses that.

It does not have a remote control. I have to leave mine on Manual and select the source I want because of the auto select function not functioning correctly. For about $20 more you can get a box with a remote:

Inday or Cables to Go

The advantage of the AA1154 is that is also switches audio. My receiver now only has a single audio cable running into it and it has room for 11. No more switching at the receiver.

DarrellP said:
That's what I'm using and I don't care for it, here's why:

It uses "adaptive learning" to figure out how you want to watch TV. Since I have 4 sources running into it, everytime I change a channel on a device I'm not watching, it will switch to it, thinking that I want to watch it. Also, my Dish 6000 always puts out a signal so it senses that.

I have 4 sources and I don't have this problem. I use a MX700 universal type remote and it works perfectly and easliy.

It does not have a remote control. I have to leave mine on Manual and select the source I want because of the auto select function not functioning correctly....

I didn't want ANOTHER remote to deal with. With the MX700 I've replaced 8 remotes. It was very easy to set up macros to easily change everything with 1 button push. Again, I think your identifying a set up issue with your remote, not a problem with the Zektor. I researched this switcher extensively before I bought it and I've personally not heard of these problems with the Zektor.

The advantage of the AA1154 is that is also switches audio. My receiver now only has a single audio cable running into it and it has room for 11. No more switching at the receiver.

The Zektor switches Toslink, analog or digital audio automatically as well.

quincy, since you are using component output, not DVI, maybe your AV receiver can do the switching? If you don't have a receiver, or if you have one without component inputs, instead of spending $150-300 on a switch, consider applying this amount toward a new receiver...

Ilya said:
quincy, since you are using component output, not DVI, maybe your AV receiver can do the switching? If you don't have a receiver, or if you have one without component inputs, instead of spending $150-300 on a switch, consider applying this amount toward a new receiver...
This is good advice but make sure your new receiver is rated to pass the HD signal easily. Many do not.

Ilya, thats a good idea but i need 5 inputs and i don't want to buy a super expensive reciever (I live in a small apartment) cause i think i'd be wasting its potential.

I don't have to worry about audio for my reciever has enough inputs for that but i guess it would be convienent to only switch one thing not two :p Remotes are no big deal but i remember looking at the Inday some time ago.

quincy said:
Ilya, thats a good idea but i need 5 inputs and i don't want to buy a super expensive reciever...
Yes, it would be hard to find a receiver with 5 component inputs. How many inputs does your TV set have? Say, if you have 3, you could get a relatively inexpensive receiver with 2-3 HD-ready component inputs. That would give you a total of 4-5. Why waste money on a standalone switch?

I have a receiver that switches 2 Component but now I have 4 Component devices and 1 DVI so my receiver is useless.

Ram Electronics is the answer!

I bought the following from RAM Electronics for my component video switching. I needed to get my X box and my DVD player switched, and since xbox has like 1 game in 1080, and dvd is like 450 vert lines of rez, why spend hundreds on a top of the line switch!!?? Thuis works awesome for my needs!! Depending on your inputs, you may need more, but this is the best $65 I've ever spent!!!

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/comp-vid-sw.html#3x1

Using my receiver...

I'm using my Onkyo TX-DS989THX to switch my component. Part of the reason I plunked down the bucks on it a couple of years ago is because it switches component video and is rated for HD signals. Not to mention it's upgradable (already done two upgrades).

I've gotta say Onkyo just announced another receiver which sounds great (but expensive). It's actually going to have a computer-like chasis with different cards for different features to make upgrading easier. Maybe Santa will put one under my tree this year... :)

The Rickster

Ilya said:
Yes, it would be hard to find a receiver with 5 component inputs. How many inputs does your TV set have? Say, if you have 3, you could get a relatively inexpensive receiver with 2-3 HD-ready component inputs. That would give you a total of 4-5. Why waste money on a standalone switch?
What inexpensive reciever has 3 component inputs? Most I see only have 2 inputs :(

This is what I use.

m274-501.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts